You Are Walking Through The Woods Tomorrow and...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Which way is home?

You can't carry your Gamo and scratch all those itchy spots at the same time even if you HAD your compass and knew which way to walk.:dunno: The size of the woods isn't limited by how much of it you've seen.
    Alright.
    If we're playing make beleive.......
    I always have a helicopter hidden in my left shoe.
    I deploy that sucker and fly to Vegas.
    I have my beer, then call in an air strike to level that gay woods.
    Later I walk through the charred remains and scoop up what's left of those squirrels.
    I put them in a big pile and take a runny crap all over them.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Alright.
    If we're playing make beleive.......
    I always have a helicopter hidden in my left shoe.
    I deploy that sucker and fly to Vegas.
    I have my beer, then call in an air strike to level that gay woods.
    Later I walk through the charred remains and scoop up what's left of those squirrels.
    I put them in a big pile and take a runny crap all over them.

This is why we can't ever have anything nice around here.

Every time some one doesn't get their way, they get all sore about it and try to tip the board over.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    My Notes

I went back through the thread and made some notes. (Yeah, I really like puzzles like this.)

Rules (Near as I can tell.)

leaving/going home=death

Goofing off=loss of rifle

can't assume you have gear not mentioned

bowl of soup is reward for good choices

What do we have?

Spring flows downhill and dissappears. Currently a pair of pants in the stream.

Five gal. bucket in streambed, held there with rebar. Holes in bucket. Removeable lid. Filled with water. Natural refrigerator. Inside was:
    -2 bottles gold peak tea-sealed (drank one)
    -1 bottle evian water-sealed
    -2 vials-humilog and lantus
    -10 syringes
    -stream rock-smooth, tennis ball sized, used to weigh down ziplock bag w/syringes and vials
    -film cannister sized grey rock, smooth in places, jagged in others
    -dead squirrel
    -rifle
    -maybe a soup bowl
    -scrap of paper on the bank

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Jack says the squirrel is gonna rot so that's a priority. First thing though, get the pants out of the streambed. See if there is anything useful in the pockets, otherwise set them aside. Put the insulin and other items back in the fridge so they don't spoil. Read the note on the bank. See if I have a knife.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I went back through the thread and made some notes. (Yeah, I really like puzzles like this.)

leaving/going home=death

What do we have?

Five gal. bucket in streambed, held there with rebar. Holes in bucket. Removeable lid. Filled with water. Natural refrigerator. Inside was:
    -10 syringes
    -stream rock-smooth, tennis ball sized, used to weigh down ziplock bag w/syringes and vials
    -dead squirrel
    -rifle
    -maybe a soup bowl

You missed the unusually sharp dark rock.

Jack says the squirrel is gonna rot so that's a priority. First thing though, get the pants out of the streambed. See if there is anything useful in the pockets, otherwise set them aside. Put the insulin and other items back in the fridge so they don't spoil. Read the note on the bank. See if I have a knife.

I'd also take inventory of what I took out of my pockets and set on the dry flat rock so I know what I have, then I would put them back in my pockets so if I had to run from a swarm of yellowjackets or a killer squirrel I wouldn't lose them. If I had a knife I'd use it to clean the squirrel, if not I'd attempt it with the unusually sharp rock. Afterward I'd put the cleaned squirrel in the bigger zip lock and submerge it in the bucket to help keep it cool, and while I was in the bucket I'd take the now empty tea bottle and fill it up with water so I don't have to tick off the diabetic meth cooker who's stash I just got into any more than they are already going to be. And I know it's a meth cooker rather than a pot grower because if they were growing the reefer there would be some ho-hos, twinkies and doritos in the bucket as well. And possibly see if I could ID the liquid in the opened MD bottle and remove one of the pieces of rebar.

Then I'd look for a place that offers the best visibility and cover/concealment to watch out for the return of the bucket's owner(s) while enjoying my bottle of nice cool stream water, until I get the hershy squirts from the untreated water and have to wipe with poison oak. I also might try gently striking the two stones with the rebar to see if I can get a spark to start a fire to cook the now cleaned and cooled squirrel and/or purify the water in the bottle so I don't die of disentary. :D

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I'm assuming this sharp rock is an arrowhead or jagged piece of flint..which either way in can be used as a tool..which can be used as a knife..and will have plenty of other uses later on if need be. use the rock to clean your squirrel...the ones you got during the morning hunt have already spoiled. problem is you have no flamage so hows you gonna cook yo tree rat?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    This is Jacks version of Zork. LOL

I was expecting to see that you discovered a cave at your place. I still don't know WTF this is about.

OMG! I made a mistake. Now I realise it really was something called Zork I was thinking of after the first post or two got going. Who would have thought any one would have a clue about something I played around with on a C-64 back in '79 today.
    Zork - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know if I even knew the name of it back then, it was pirated software.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

leaving/going home=death

What do we have?

-10 syringes
    -dead squirrel
    -rifle
    -maybe a soup bowl

Green capped Diet Mt. Dew bottle, seal is broken
    -all that is common in SW Indiana squirrel woods (and you can find)
    -all that is common to carry squirrel hunting that hasn't been lost being a wisearse to the thread nazi
    -some uses for things you haven't figured out yet
    -what ever some one else may have carried in to the woods (if any one else is fiddling about you are not aware of)

What ever else I see fit to make up to prevent boredom but they will never break the one iron clad rule. I never lie, ie will change a set statement like introducing kryptonite at the last minute because I couldn't figure out how to kill superman.

If must be physically possible in the real world. I must have seen it in the real world done before. I may or may not have posted it or suggested it at some time on this board over the years or read about it. It may or may not be posted or available to "use" else where on this board.

It must elicit, "You know? That crazy chittln's really COULD happen. Not likely but do you think he's serious?" from at least one person who reads it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Good think'n. I never thought of scarfing something out of the pants.

You found a pocket knife. An old one. Must have been the guy's grandfather's. It has reddish kind of laminate on the handle, a little rusty in places but still sharp. Two blades, a clip and a spay. It's pretty cool for free. The pants are cotton. Nice leather belt and cast iron buckle.

The note is in a plastic zip lock bag. It's a small scrap of a map.

picture.php

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'm assuming this sharp rock is an arrowhead or jagged piece of flint..which either way in can be used as a tool..which can be used as a knife..and will have plenty of other uses later on if need be. use the rock to clean your squirrel...the ones you got during the morning hunt have already spoiled. problem is you have no flamage so hows you gonna cook yo tree rat?

(You must spread some rep around before....)

You have no bow to shoot an arrow. The rock isn't THAT sharp.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    (You must spread some rep around before....)

You have no bow to shoot an arrow. The rock isn't THAT sharp.

Then Ill use the rock..which I still think is a piece of flint as a very effective "sparker" all I need now is another rock or use the steel edge of my new pocket knife as a striker...which Im in a creek..so that shouldnt be to hard...its hot and dry so finding some kindling wont be hard. I can use my newly acquired pocket knife to clean my squirrel and to also shave some dry wood to catch my spark...I can now easily build a small fire in the contained creek bed to have myself a meal and dry out my clothes.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You missed the unusually sharp dark rock.

I'd also take inventory of what I took out of my pockets and set on the dry flat rock so I know what I have, then I would put them back in my pockets so if I had to run from a swarm of yellowjackets or a killer squirrel I wouldn't lose them.

Now yer think'n with yer big nogg'n

If I had a knife I'd use it to clean the squirrel, if not I'd attempt it with the unusually sharp rock.

There's a pocket knife in the pants and a leather belt.

Afterward I'd put the cleaned squirrel in the bigger zip lock and submerge it in the bucket to help keep it cool, and while I was in the bucket I'd take the now empty tea bottle and fill it up with water so I don't have to tick off the diabetic meth cooker who's stash I just got into any more than they are already going to be.

Make sure those smaller inside bags are still air tight or I'm gonna be really PO'd if I have to walk all the frigg'n way back to the house.

And I know it's a meth cooker rather than a pot grower because if they were growing the reefer there would be some ho-hos, twinkies and doritos in the bucket as well. And possibly see if I could ID the liquid in the opened MD bottle and remove one of the pieces of rebar.

Yer gonna really P M O if you ruin that well digging out the rebar. Why is it no one can recognise this bucket is a well so you don't have to lick muddy water off of rocks even when the water is the lowest it's been in 5 years?

Fortunately you sniff the open bottle before drinking. The Mt Dew bottle is filled with bleach. That's more than enough bleach to make a 100 gallons of water at least semi-safe to drink. You put a few drops in the water filled and resealed tea bottle. It will be cool and safe to drink in a half hour or so.

Then I'd look for a place that offers the best visibility and cover/concealment to watch out for the return of the bucket's owner(s) while enjoying my bottle of nice cool stream water, until I get the hershy squirts from the untreated water and have to wipe with poison oak. I also might try gently striking the two stones with the rebar to see if I can get a spark to start a fire to cook the now cleaned and cooled squirrel and/or purify the water in the bottle so I don't die of disentary. :D

You couldn't get the rebar out. The sandy rocky bottom filled back in about as quick as you dug at it. It's almost as if some genius figure a novice would come along and try to screw up his well because they didn't really have a clue what is was.

Try striking the rock with the back of the blade in the old pocket knife. Old ones will have high carbon steel that will spark on flint OR QUARTZ.

You are rewarded with knowledge you don't desearve. Poison oak is that vine looking thing that looks like it's growing roots in to the tree you are leaning against.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Then Ill use the rock..which I still think is a piece of flint as a very effective "sparker" all I need now is another rock or use the steel edge of my new pocket knife as a striker...which Im in a creek..so that shouldnt be to hard...its hot and dry so finding some kindling wont be hard. I can use my newly acquired pocket knife to clean my squirrel and to also shave some dry wood to catch my spark...I can now easily build a small fire in the contained creek bed to have myself a meal and dry out my clothes.

Yer work'n on it but the spark won't catch. You need some char to make that work and I bet most here don't even know what it is let alone that they need it. You still have more than you need to survive and thrive.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Yer work'n on it but the spark won't catch. You need some char to make that work and I bet most here don't even know what it is let alone that they need it. You still have more than you need to survive and thrive.

Check the pants pockets (and my pants pockets) for some dryer lint. Let that dry out on the rocks and see if it will catch a spark.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    OMG! I made a mistake. Now I realise it really was something called Zork I was thinking of after the first post or two got going. Who would have thought any one would have a clue about something I played around with on a C-64 back in '79 today.
    Zork - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know if I even knew the name of it back then, it was pirated software.
    Too bad you can't do graphics, as you are working on another quattrain to Myst and Riven.

I'll just go back to carving in this tree over here.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

You talking about char cloth? Those little squares of old worn out cotton ts that you put in a metal can with a little hole in the top and toss in a fire?

I'll say I start looking around for dry grass, any dead thin barked trees I can strip the inner bark off of and make a tinder nest, and gather a bunch of dead twigs and sticks for kindling along with other deadwood for a fire. Then depending on just how much ammo I have maybe open up one of the shells and sprinkle some of the powder in the nest and use the knife and flint/quartz to spark it. Or if I didn't feel I had enough ammo, I'd unlace one of my boots and use the lace to make a fire bow. Get a fire going and cook up the squirrel.

Top Bottom