You Are Walking Through The Woods Tomorrow and...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Check the pants pockets (and my pants pockets) for some dryer lint. Let that dry out on the rocks and see if it will catch a spark.

You'll be a skeleton laying next to a squirrel skeleton waiting on that to happen and some one will be doing something useful with YOUR pocket knife and cotton pants.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Too bad you can't do graphics, as you are working on another quattrain to Myst and Riven.

I'll just go back to carving in this tree over here.

I'd be giving up a total failure as a writer if I ever had to do more than type it out. But if I hit a lazy streak I'll walk out and take a picture of what I want to say instead of typing a thousand words.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You talking about char cloth? Those little squares of old worn out cotton ts that you put in a metal can with a little hole in the top and toss in a fire?
    That's one way to make some, you can put cotton cloth on a barbeque grill and shut all the air off too and make a lot at a time.

I'll say I start looking around for dry grass, any dead thin barked trees I can strip the inner bark off of and make a tinder nest, and gather a bunch of dead twigs and sticks for kindling along with other deadwood for a fire. Then depending on just how much ammo I have maybe open up one of the shells and sprinkle some of the powder in the nest and use the knife and flint/quartz to spark it. Or if I didn't feel I had enough ammo, I'd unlace one of my boots and use the lace to make a fire bow. Get a fire going and cook up the squirrel.

Good move. You've got fire. Cooked meat, not the tastiest but cooked. Drinkable water.

You gonna make char cloth for next time so you don't have to waste amo or ruin your boot laces? How did ya start that? :D You used up one thing or another, fire didn't just magicly appear.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Is this some redneck wheres waldo?? I still dont get it :dunno:

You have no imagination. You are still wet, cold, pantless, thirsty, hungry and got the squirts, itch all over from sting weed and stare at the sun wondering what happened.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I found an arrow stuck in this tree over here. It is just your average aluminum shaft with a broadhead, and the fletching is gone. It appears it has some sort of note attached to it, but the writing has worn to the weather. It looks like it has been here awhile.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Sounds like D&D set in the HNF, need to continue the story.:D

You get a candy bar, a bag of pop corn and a cold beer for that "stinging" save you made. Ya never know just what a guy might find around here if he was to look in the right places and knows it when he sees it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I found an arrow stuck in this tree over here. It is just your average aluminum shaft with a broadhead, and the fletching is gone. It appears it has some sort of note attached to it, but the writing has worn to the weather. It looks like it has been here awhile.

I've found those in the woods before. One is laying on my back porch right now. So what are ya gonna do now that you've found it Robin? What's it good for? (Hood, these guys who write these stories always seem to be smart alecs.)

You let the fire go out fooling around looking for arrows and no one made any char cloth. It might get dicey come dark. In fact it looks pretty dark out right now. I hear dogs or something howling some where. A bard owl, frogs, something rustling the leaves behind me. It's always behind.

Yer itching all over and feels like everything in the forrest has crawled up yer dang pant leg. Why the heck didn't ya cut some strips from that other fellars pants and tie the bottoms closed I'll never know. Now you've got skeeters, ticks and fleas, dirt, bark, sand, in yer socks and stink like a cross between a wet dog and a goat. Only thing it's not done yet is rain.

Last edited:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Why'd you have to bring up rain? Now it's doing that. I am just going to strip nekkid and rub mud all over my body to protect from the bugs. Meanwhile, this arrow shaft will make a nice rotisserie for any varmint I may have to roast. Thankfully I smoke, because I have 3 Bic lighters in my pocket. Fire is not an issue. Guess I better look for some cover while it's still light out.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Why'd you have to bring up rain? Now it's doing that. I am just going to strip nekkid and rub mud all over my body to protect from the bugs. Meanwhile, this arrow shaft will make a nice rotisserie for any varmint I may have to roast. Thankfully I smoke, because I have 3 Bic lighters in my pocket. Fire is not an issue. Guess I better look for some cover while it's still light out.

You'll wake up soon from that dream. That's not rain, it's just a light dew dripping off the morning leaves. It's foggy in the valley and a little chilly. Mud won't stop the little red blisters those turkey ticks leave behind it will only get them infected. Nothing but time will heal them but it's too bad you don't know what jewel weed looks like or what it's used for. Smokes are wet, might make a half decent sponge. LIGHTERS ARE GONE. Thanks, those will come in handy.

You are thirsty, hungry, half your amo is gone. You still don't have a clue where you are on even that tiny scrap of map or if you are even in that area. You don't even know north from south yet. I don't for see much varmint roasting in yoru future.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Might as well find some squirrels or a deer to shoot while waiting for the sun to rise to get your direcetion.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    People have been known to find watering cans and buggy axels out there.:D

That watering can could come in handy when a guy had more than he could carry in his hands or pockets, big old leaves in the bottom might even seal it up enough to carry a little water, it could sure be used to keep a spot clear and deep enough in a damp creek bottom to get a clean drink of water from. Buggy axels might have something to strike a spark, knap flint with or grind something to make flour, poltice, hit some one over the head who's half dead any way and been messing with your poke. Could weight a snare with it, all kinds of stuff.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Might as well find some squirrels or a deer to shoot while waiting for the sun to rise to get your direcetion.

You gonna shoot a deer with a 22 short? Yer still thirsty and hungry. Every thing you have is wet, you've been laying on the ground all night. Every thing that crawls is in your cloths and you smell like half wet dog and goat. I doubt yer gonna get very close to a deer.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    You gonna shoot a deer with a 22 short?

Its summer time, fawns are great eatting and easy to carry.

images

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Its summer time, fawns are great eatting and easy to carry.

images

Now yer really hungry covered with more sting weed and ticks from wandering through the WORST head high thorns, briars, sticking seeds, and burrs looking for the best hidden animal in the forrest this summer. Coyotes run laughing with every fawn in the forrest in their jaws as you sweat, stumble and fumble around dogging for them in the briar patch so they can sit on the edge and get a free meal.

Even more thirsty now, dehydration is starting to set in again. The sun is up and it's hot if you are doing any thing at all. Squirrels throw nuts at you as you collapse on the ground heaving half raw squirrel from the night before.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I want to take a look at that map. The contour lines showed what looked like two narrow ravines running down to a stream. Could either of those be the ravine the spring is in? If so, we can get our bearings by matching the map to the terrain at hand.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Luckly Im smart enough to know what sting weed looks like and stay away from it. If Im in a woods in Indiana I start walking south. With in 12 hours I will have crossed 3 McDonalds and 28 gas stations.

Top Bottom