• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You know what class I hate the most in college? Statistics. I hate how people can quantify certain things. This goes with anti gun people. They like to throw numbers at us and use those as the only excuse for why guns are bad. People also like to ask for proof as if what you say needs to always be backed up by absolute fact.
    I agree that statistics can be swayed to reflect whatever opinion you wish. So, I don't care for the class either but facts generally substantiate any theory. Not supporting a theory with facts is generally only an opinion. Am I misreading the intent of your post? :dunno:

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I am saying that stats are very cold in natural. Just numbers and a lot of times when looked at, always taken out of context. People can give you a chart of something and because most people don't understand statistics, they are swayed by the chart itself. People hearing numbers alone can be swayed even if the number is incorrect or taken out of context

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I am saying that stats are very cold in natural. Just numbers and a lot of times when looked at, always taken out of context. People can give you a chart of something and because most people don't understand statistics, they are swayed by the chart itself. People hearing numbers alone can be swayed even if the number is incorrect or taken out of context
    Ahh, indeed. :yesway:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

True, be especially skeptical if all you see reported are percentages of this or that.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Update: 24 hours and no response from her. Likely busy working on the next piece or she deleted it after seeing I was going to oppose her view.

tlfuller27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Nappanee,IN
    Quote "Guns can’t be removed from every citizen, and they shouldn’t be, because then people with bad intentions can get the guns illegally. Since it is becoming a large issue in the U.S., I think the government should focus more of their efforts on gun control"

Has anyone told her that if someone with bad intentions wants a gun they can get them now it's called stealing or buying illegally. gun control only puts restrictions on those who have the right to legally carry and own a gun. a criminal doesnt care if he is breaking the law or not.:twocents:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I checked the article again and found their timeline a bit odd:

Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:00 am | Updated: 9:48 pm, Tue Jul 31, 2012

mtb1981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    It's surprising because Purdue is a good school, you would think that there would be a balanced opinion on some stuff.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I plan to address this hard next year. I'm a boilermaker, who attends purdue, is representing the college of technology on purdue student government, and with Daniels becoming president of purdue, getting the carry on campus debate loud is one of my
    Plans.

I'm going to be keeping Ingo updated once school starts.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Can you support this statement?

I think he's talking about the meme where most police agencies qualify their officers with the minimum round count necessary and most police officers never fire their handguns during their careers.

I know when I went through IPD firearms qualification, we were told that they had one of the best courses in the country, and my experience with the MCSD as a Special Deputy tended to make me think that IPD (now IMPD) is the exception, rather than the rule, taking all law enforcement agencies into account.

Dr Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    a student could also facilitate an attack just as easily. If a student received a grade in a class that prevented graduation or some other emotional misfortune, then they could pull out the gun in class and also start a shooting rampage, even though they bought the gun for self-defense.

This is classic projection.
    The writer doesn't believe that she could control her emotional impulses if she had a gun, and she believes she is normal, therefore EVERYONE is emotionally unstable and shouldn't have guns.

Had the same discussion with an ex employee.
    In a fit of rage she pointed a loaded gun at her husband. If she could snap, then anyone could snap. Therefore guns should be banned.

They'll never admit that THEY are unstable !

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I can fix Stupid...
    I am just not allowed to... :popcorn:
    That's funny right there, back in July at Lewis working the ROTC mission some of the instructors were commenting on the sloppy weapons handling of the cadets, we said give us 20 min with them and we'll fix that. Couldn't do it though, they were hands off.

Top Bottom