• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Starting over.

Your religion is not relevant to your crime....

unless your crime was motivated by your religious beliefs.

So, if I'm a Rastafarian, and I rob a bank, my religion is not relevant. If however, I rob a bank because Jah told me to, it's very relevant.

If someone can show me some examples of Muslims blowing up stuff and not claiming they did it for religious reasons, I promise that the next time I hear that a Muslim blew something up I won't suspect it was for religious reasons.

So motive behind the crime is relevant? Should it make a difference in the prosecution of the case?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Except, you're the one who changed to match what you wished he had written so you could go all politically correct.

Three pages from now it will look like I actually said that stuff, since he keeps reconstructing what I've written.

BTW, I appear to be on a permanent ban from repping you.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So motive behind the crime is relevant? Should it make a difference in the prosecution of the case?

Completely a different discussion, but yes, motivation is relevant to the prosecution of the case.

The point I'm addressing, however, is different. The point I'm addressing is that if I hear on the news that someone blew something up, it's relevant and should be reported if they know the guy who did it is Muslim.

If a guy blew something up and was a stamp collector, it wouldn't be relevant.

Motivation, or state of mind, is a longstanding legal principle. Lawyers, help I out.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I heard on the radio while I was out, that one or both brothers had made videos praising al Qaeda according to Congressmen that had been briefed by the National Security advisor.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Completely a different discussion, but yes, motivation is relevant to the prosecution of the case.

The point I'm addressing, however, is different. The point I'm addressing is that if I hear on the news that someone blew something up, it's relevant and should be reported if they know the guy who did it is Muslim.

If a guy blew something up and was a stamp collector, it wouldn't be relevant.

Motivation, or state of mind, is a longstanding legal principle. Lawyers, help I out.

So hate crime laws are valid.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    Seriously, your reading is sloppy. I haven't changed a single point.

I'll grant you the abortion clinic bombings. If there are more of them than Muslim religious motivated bombings, you'll win that point on the facts. You have already, however, lost so badly on the principle, that it will be a hollow victory.

What principle are you talking about ?

So all Muslims that are Bomber 's , are that way purely because of their Religious beliefs ?

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    What?

You need to take two logic pills and call me in the morning.

All cats are mammals. Does that mean all mammals are cats? It does not.

Most people who blow things up with homemade bombs are terrorists. Most people who blow things up with homemade bombs for religious reasons are Muslims. Most Muslims who blow things up in the U.S. with homemade bombs claim religious beliefs for doing so.

Where in any of that is there any implication that all Muslims are evil?

If Catholics were still stretching people on the rack for heresy and I encountered a heretic on a rack, I might suspect a Catholic. However, upon encountering a Catholic, I would not suspect they had just tortured someone on the rack.

Logic. Embrace it.

Here read and tell me what I changed .

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Read his statement , you tell me that logic dictates that only Muslims bomb for religious beliefs ?

I read it. It makes sense. Think of all the bombings that have been done based upon an expressed religious reason. Now how many of that group were done by Islamists (Radical Muslims)? How many were done by Buddhists? How many by Christians? How many by Hindus, etc? Now compare those numbers...

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So hate crime laws are valid.

It depends on what you mean by hate crime laws. A lot of different types of laws have been included in that.

Let's say I assault someone. Witnesses at the scene heard me say:

"I'm beating you up because you called my wife a name."

Now let's say the witnesses heard me say:

"I'm beating you up because you're gay."

There's a big difference in those two crimes, and it should be reflected in the sentence, even if the damage done was exactly the same.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    What?

You need to take two logic pills and call me in the morning.

All cats are mammals. Does that mean all mammals are cats? It does not.

Most people who blow things up with homemade bombs are terrorists. Most people who blow things up with homemade bombs for religious reasons are Muslims. Most Muslims who blow things up in the U.S. with homemade bombs claim religious beliefs for doing so.

Where in any of that is there any implication that all Muslims are evil?

If Catholics were still stretching people on the rack for heresy and I encountered a heretic on a rack, I might suspect a Catholic. However, upon encountering a Catholic, I would not suspect they had just tortured someone on the rack.

Logic. Embrace it.

His words above for those that think I'm blind .

Most people that blow things up with homemade bombs for religious reasons are Muslims ?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Most people that blow things up with homemade bombs for religious reasons are Muslims ?

Take all the people who have blown things up for religious reasons.

Some of them will be Muslims.

Some of them will be of other religions.

Count the Muslims. Count the people of other religions.

One group will be larger than the other. Or, the groups will be exactly the same size.

My contention is that the Muslim group will be larger.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It depends on what you mean by hate crime laws. A lot of different types of laws have been included in that.

Let's say I assault someone. Witnesses at the scene heard me say:

"I'm beating you up because you called my wife a name."

Now let's say the witnesses heard me say:

"I'm beating you up because you're gay."

There's a big difference in those two crimes, and it should be reflected in the sentence, even if the damage done was exactly the same.
    Just curious as hate crime laws seem to be such a sore point for conservatives. I've read many complaints about hate crime laws here regarding minorities and homosexual. Just trying to see how one can be against hate crime laws while believing that ones religion should be a factor in sentencing.

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    Take all the people who have blown things up for religious reasons.

Some of them will be Muslims.

Some of them will be of other religions.

Count the Muslims. Count the people of other religions.

One group will be larger than the other. Or, the groups will be exactly the same size.

My contention is that the Muslim group will be larger.

Are we stating domestic or worldwide ?

Domestic I'm not sure your argument wins , but worldwide is an opinion I agree with you .:ingo:

Top Bottom