• Would you carry in Illinois?

• Total voters

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Dear GlockRock. " Now, if some rich gun owner with plenty of cash for legal fees wants to do so, and become a test case....I'll send them a nice thank you card when the laws ARE struck down. But a broke *** guy like me doesn't have the liquidity to fight such a battle."
    Spoken like a real guy I DON'T want at MY six!!!! Ever hear of the power of numbers? Worked in organizing MLKs Street-sweepers and House-maids and Bell-boys in the 50s and 60s. What makes you think I don't care as much about YOUR rights as I do MY OWN!!?!? I'mnot rich either, getting along on >$1100/mo. But it is the 1000s of men like me who paid for your rights (Sorry; I don't know how old you are) who MUST hang together in the escalation to 2010, or we'll all hang alone when the 1st & 2d amendments are shredded. THIS IS WHAT I MEAN: if sufficient ILINI (let's call them 'militia-men') literally overwhelmed the system, determined to get THROUGH it, something would be done. First, hypocritical politicians would get called what they are: traitors to the Constitution. The new legislators would take their places (Ten years, at the longest) and THEN the unConstitutional "law" would be stricken. I probanly won't be here then, but I'll arrange for a special bolt-of-lightning to be sent to the dome of the state-house. How many men here are willing to forsake their "six" and go for the prize?? Pat.
    Well, you and I (and most other INGOers) might very well believe that lllinois' laws are unconstitutional. Unfortunately, the United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit (which has federal jurisdiction over Illinois and Indiana, among other states) has held specifically that Chicago's outright ban on handguns is constitutional, despite the U.S. Supreme Court's opinion in Heller v. District of Columbia last year. See NRA v. City of Chicago at http://www.ca7.uscourts.gov/tmp/R00GE424.pdf. The good news is that NRA is seeking the Supreme Court's review of the City of Chicago case as well, so we may get a clear indication from the high court as to whether Illionois' laws are constitional. In the mean time, if you carry a handgun into Illinois, you're committing a felony.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    This is an interesting poll since so many on here argue that LTCH holders are all law abiding citizens who give all their money to the homeless, mail their leftovers to starving children in Africa, walk on water, and would never ever break a law...come on they have an Indiana permit...trust them. Interesting.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    This is an interesting poll since so many on here argue that LTCH holders are all law abiding citizens
    Agreed. 20% claim they would illegally carry in Illinois is shockingly high.

It was not too long ago that there was a thread about a Michigan City man who was caught in Chicago carrying a gun. The guy was ignorant of the law, thought his Indiana License was valid in Chicago!?! He got NO SYMPATHY here and many condemned him.

Well, I must say I am surprised at the results. I was expecting over 80% of voters to say that they would not carry in Illinois.
    Well that is not too far off. Its just over 79% that would not carry in Illinois. Still I think that is too low.

FWIW, I answered KEEP IT IN MY CAR and that is LEGAL according to the laws and the way I keep a gun in a car in Illinois. So I do not carry in Illinois but that does not mean I always leave my gun at home. My gun is locked, unloaded in a safe in the back. Not handy, but as I commute THROUGH the state of Illinois daily it is what I need to do to be legal.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I'm going to IL in December, however, I will be avoiding the Communist Bastion of Chicago.

I'll be staying downstate where fortunately, most folks are somewhat like us.

Yes, I'll be carrying. I have contacted local law enforcement at our destination and there is no problem.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm going to IL in December, however, I will be avoiding the Communist Bastion of Chicago.

I'll be staying downstate where fortunately, most folks are somewhat like us.

Yes, I'll be carrying. I have contacted local law enforcement at our destination and there is no problem.

Care to elaborate? Are you traveling through IL? How will you be carrying?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I unload and place in a lock box while I am in Illinois. It is within arms reach, It at least gives me a chance to try to defend myself while I am there.

I take a handgun into Illinois EVERY DAY.

However, I remove the magazine and the round from the chamber. I put the ammo in my glove box. I put the gun in a small SAFE that is locked and out of reach.

My morning drive takes me from Indiana to Illinois and then back into Indiana. I reverse that commute to go home.

It is my understanding that I am complying with the federal safe transport laws.

^^^^^^ This.

I lived in St Louis, where the uglier half of the metro area was across Old Man River in IL. I always carried in St. Louis. If I traveled into IL, then the gun went into a locked security box attached to the frame of the vehicle.

Kw55018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Clay City
    being a otr driver for so long i never left the house without my 1911 and my 870 nomatter what state i was going to even canada my life is worth more that a little legal trouble.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    No, not worth the risk. I have other ways to arm myself when I go there. I have other ways to hurt someone that are as or more effective then a firearm. You would never know it to seem them. Think outside the box. There are some wicked tools on a construction site.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Hey, you ever go over the speed limit?

Yessir... and if pulled over I will CHEERFULLY pay the penalty for breaking the law! I happen to be a citizen of the state of Indiana. I chose this state, not IL. And the difference in gun laws, among other things, helped make that choice.

I choose NOT to break the law in IL, even though I disagree vehemently with it. I might choose to do so, if I was in a large company of others, doing it as a form of protest. "Going Plaxico" into IL as one lone dude seems like a total waste of energy and likely to wind one up with a roommate named Bubba... And boom - one solid American is now a felon, and can neither vote nor shoot! It's not the most intelligent way to use our resources. I think that we have better means of protest available to us to solve the problem.

Also I would be more inclined to engage in such protest if the battle were on Indiana soil. As it stands, our laws are among the closest to the Constitution of anywhere in the nation.

Simply breaking the law, because you believe it's unconstitutional should be the very last resort.

First I choose not to have my software business conduct any business in their crazy state. Hence I have no need nor desire to go there. And none of my money goes to their insane state.

Second, were protest necessary in the state where I live, I would protest in the most intelligent, resourceful way I could find.

Only in the most dire circumstances would I protest by directly breaking the law - whether I consider it legit or not. The courts say it's legit - and until proven otherwise - I can find plenty of more rational means of protest.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster
    No. My dad knew of a guy that did this, and he had a LTCH for Indiana. He went to court, had to pay a big fine (I don't think he served time). And now he has a FELONY on his record! Which means he can't carry ANYWHERE ANYMORE.

I'll take not carrying in IL the few times I go over there, rather than risk losing a LTCH and not being able to defend your self anywhere.

If anything, IL people (and probably some in Lake County) should have a peaceful protest. Maybe have an empty holster day in Lansing? That would be cool.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    just got home from illinois, lock the front door oh boy

i would not, and this is why im so anxious for illinois's law to be turned over because im single digit miles from the border. worked in lansing until last year

Top Bottom