• Would you carry in Illinois?

• Total voters

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I just don't go to the Peoples Republic of Illinois. Problem solved.

In the last 3.5 years, there have been about 5 reasons for me to go to Chicago. Not even ONE was a good enough reason to make me cross my pinky toe across that state line threshold. So I agree..."don't go - problem solved".

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I would not carry in Illinois just for the sake of carrying. However if for some reason I were going to Illinois and I knew I was going somewhere that was potentially very dangerous. (I cant imagine where I would be going that I would feel this way.) I would carry. I think the best bet is to avoid going to foreign country's like Illinois, unless your certain to be in a secured area...

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    The OP gave the option to "keep it in a car" and that is exactly what I do. If I must go to Illinois, I carry to the border, then lock it in the trunk in accordance with the peaceable journey law or whatever it's called. That way if I have to spend the night there...I got something warm and friendly to curl up with.

RH

Errkola

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Indiana
    Definitely not in Chicago unless like some have said you KNEW you were going somewhere that you are likely to need to be carrying. and if that is the case I would not go in the first place, that place is dangerous!:D Their system is so f'd up that I would not want to take a chance. Maybe downstate, but much less reason to carry there. What the hell happened to Illinois? It is such an aberration as a midwest state.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    IF I had no other choice but to drive through the People's Republik of Illinois, then I would certainly stop before the border, put my sidearm, unloaded mags and any ammo with me in the trunk. I would then proceed through said Communist haven, obeying all traffic laws, and taking extra precautions to avoid the attention of Johnny Law. Once clear of the other side, I would stop at the first available safe location, and strap it all back on.

A wise man once told me that if you can't go over it, under it, or around it - then by God hunker down and go THROUGH it! Just because a bunch of Jerkwater politicians say that I don't have a God given right to defend myself - to keep and BEAR arms - while in their allegedly "safe" domain...... that doesn't mean I am going to give up my God given right on the other sides of the border. To hell with them, I will take my chances, while being as respectful and accomodating as I can. :twocents:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I am not going to get a felony and spend time in jail, having said that I will have a firearm locked in a box in the trunk and the ammo for it locked in the glove box, and you can be sure that "I am just passing through" so its all good.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Gun owners constantly claim to be among the most law-abiding. Either you are or you aren't. You can't pick and choose which laws you want to obey.

Yet, are we really bound to obey illegal and immoral laws? Clearly, Illinois law is not in compliance with what the Constitution says, regardless of what the courts say.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I drove to Chicago to rescue my step-son a few weeks ago when his vehicle was stranded. I chose to leave the handgun at home, but brought along my trusty Mossberg for my safety. :)

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Can we phone a friend? Call in air-support from Indiana if needed?

You're allowed 1 phone shout out!
    hollywood_article1_clip_image001.jpg

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Yet, are we really bound to obey illegal and immoral laws? Clearly, Illinois law is not in compliance with what the Constitution says, regardless of what the courts say.

There is no doubt that Illinois law is against the constitution, I just don't have the unlimited amount of money to spend on attorneys and years of time to fight it in court.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    As others have stated they do, I try to avoid Illinois. There are a couple of places there we really like to camp, but I choose not to take my family there much. It isn't worth it.

I really feel sorry for all the folks in Illinois outside the kingdom of chicago that have to live with the draconian laws.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I have business in Chicago every couple of years or so and I will go spend a couple of days there.
    I have decided to just leave my handgun at home.
    Never thought about taking a shotgun though.
    That's genius! :bowdown:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I have business in Chicago every couple of years or so and I will go spend a couple of days there.
    I have decided to just leave my handgun at home.
    Never thought about taking a shotgun though.
    That's genius! :bowdown:

Taken from Illinois State Police website:

If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it? Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
    1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Be Careful!

Just a word of warning - for anyone carrying in Illinois under the protection of the Firearm Owners Protection Act - the federal statute that allows you to transport firearms across state lines, be mindful of the fact that you must demonstrate that you can "lawfully possess and carry" the firearm in both your place of origin and your destination. If you're just going to Chicago, for example, and can't "lawfully possess and carry" your firearm there (as most of us can't), the federal statute wouldn't protect you. The law is designed only to protect you while you're "passing through" a state where you can't legally carry - on your way to somewhere where you can.

"18 USC § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Top Bottom