Would have drawn my weapon: Pan handler/drunk beggar/?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Might have saved a life last week at the shell station on west 10th st. Hey "Bro"....you got a cigarette.....got close...bang. ...

Yep. It's just a guy asking for a smoke (or spare change, or whatever) . . . until it's not.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...is-man-robbed-gunpoint-while-pumping-gas.html

Always difficult to assess situations like this from afar. Lots of intangibles and subjective little bits one's spidey sense picks up on during the situation that often don't translate very well.

I'll take this opportunity to again plug some kind of training in managing unknown contacts, like what Paladin Combatives offers. Very applicable to situations like this.

Last edited:

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Once the OP was in the situation, I think he did OK. However, if one sees a person behaving strangely, it would seem to be prudent to simply go elsewhere. Chances are pretty good that there was another (safer) liquor store within a few minutes' drive.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    This thread's going to get good. I feel it in ma-bones!
    Dis-Gon-Be-Good-Chair-Reaction-Gif_zps337064d2.gif

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I had a guy approach me the other night at a dark gas station as I exited my vehicle. He came up and said that he was trying to get home and asked if I had $3 for a gallon of gas. I looked him up and down, made careful observation of his hands... then I told him to pull up to pump #1 and i would go in and prepay for $3 of gas. He thanked me and that was it.

I didn't put my hand on my gun or run away.

You are a caring person.
    I would not have thought about getting the three dollars of gas in his tank this way. I would be focused on the "begging" and my own safety in this situation.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I worked the area Roland speaks of for 6 years. Knowing what I know about it I see nothing wrong with his perception of the situation and how he reacted. Me, I'd have gone all JBT and shot that mother****er because thats how I roll.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    ChurchMouse is right!

Key phrases are - "Got some change?" "Got a smoke?" "Need some gas money". I'd hear it so many times I got numb to it. The pan rat hustlers are so bold and arrogant, they keep the people that actually do need help from getting it. Some wanted a little change and some want your wallet. They all get neither from me.

I've walked in the LA streets for years (no I was not a streetwalker - walking the streets is different) and had the "Grey Man" down to a science. If you do it right, you're practically invisible to them. Because they think you are them. But when you pull up in a clean vehicle or company car all bets are off. You are now a target. In LA we were always at the ready......kindof......as we could be......legally........kindof.

Come close a few times to throwing swings out there but the guy that ticked me off the most was downtown LA on my way to show my car at an event and I stopped for gas. My car was cherry! Went in to pay, came out to this guy "washing" my windows. By the time I got to my car, it looked like he was smearing lungchunks all over my windshield with this dirty rag thing while grinding keys and his beltbuckle all along the fender. Then he holds his hand out for payment like I should be happy with his work.

I was so Pissed! :xmad:

Play at your own risk. We had very mellow cities that were just as dangerous just had less rats. Few friends got jacked in real nice areas and some not so nice.

17 squirrel - Don't see much action being a desk jockey do you?

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    OP reaction seems reasonable given circumstances...took precautionary steps but did not escalate.

Those who have posted about losing count of how many times they have pulled a gun on people, however, have serious issues and should have their permit pulled. I've diffused my fair share of situations and my wife works in the ghetto 8 hours a day, and neither of us has had to pull a gun on anyone in all those years.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom