• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't understand why they are allowed to do this though. Why does the prosecution get to hedge their bets like that?

"We feel the perp committed the bad crime, but if we can't convince the jury of that maybe we can convince them of a lesser crime". That does not seem right to me. It seems they should have to pick a crime and convince the jury of that crime, not one of many.

So "commit one crime, get the rest free" should be the rule?

If the person is factually guilty of multiple crimes in a related circumstance, what's the ethical quandary for charging them with all of them in the trial for that circumstance? Particularly given our laws prohibiting double jeopardy?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Doesn't driving that slowly draw unwanted attention? It would look like you're casing the area or something. ;)
    i said I was gonna quit posting for the day....shoulda quit while I was ahead.

Hey you should be watching the Opening Ceremonies.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    There's some truth to this but as always 'it depends'. For many Vets moving into LE seems like a natural transition on the surface but there are definitely differences. I've known many LEO's who started with a single 3-4 year enlistment then went to school and became an LEO and have had good careers. The ones that I think end up having issues are the ones that invest 10-12 years or more and then get out, they have a different mindset by then and for many I wouldn't want them working within 5 feet of the public. Often when I go to my annual mission I run into E6's and E7's on active duty with 10+ years who say they are getting out and I ask them what are they going to do and invariably they just shrug and say I'll probably just go back home and be a cop lol.
    Are you saying I should not be allowed in public ?

Well £:::k you and the horse you rode in on I don’t want to be around the “public“. They are stupid people that can’t even identify rank or shave bunch of $***t heads if you ask me.
    The ”public“ doesn’t even get outta bed till like 8am ***k I been at work for hours by 8am.

The “public“ can’t sleep on the ground and eat $$$ty food for months. The common person doesn’t even know how to hit someone in the nuts for fun.

On second thought I guess your right !

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Note: If someone has a DD214 the years should be like 3 years 1 day. Ask questions if it’s like 1 year and 19 days enlistment’s are typically 3,4,6 years.
    Most enlistments are 2+ years, so if someone is less than 2 years that could be questionable, but I don't think anyone I served with was "on the dot" for their enlistment times. I left the Army 2 months early for school. I know guys who stayed in a few weeks/months extra for all kinds of reasons.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Most enlistments are 2+ years, so if someone is less than 2 years that could be questionable, but I don't think anyone I served with was "on the dot" for their enlistment times. I left the Army 2 months early for school. I know guys who stayed in a few weeks/months extra for all kinds of reasons.

I re-enlisted, which got rid of the remainder of my first hitch, and my initial enlistment was only 2 years, 16 weeks (with a mandatory reserve component I got rid of by re-enlisting). My years of service is very much not a round number despite an honorable discharge under routine circumstance.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Yes it will usually be a few days early or late. Then you have the 2 year plus training guys like BBI.
    Anyone that’s reenlisted will have a off date like 9 years 4 months and 12 days.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So "commit one crime, get the rest free" should be the rule?

If the person is factually guilty of multiple crimes in a related circumstance, what's the ethical quandary for charging them with all of them in the trial for that circumstance? Particularly given our laws prohibiting double jeopardy?
    I'm not talking about different crimes. I am talking about different charges for the same crime.

Manslaughter, murder 2, murder 1, whatever we can convince the jury of. The prosecutor should pick the one that they feel the evidence proves.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    When I file a civil case, I get to alleged multiple alternative theories that are mutually exclusive. It's the same thing. It allows the evidence to guide the result of the case.

We want a guy convicted of what the evidence shows rather than putting a jury in the position of either letting a guy go completely when he may have committed a crime or convicting him of a greater crime than the evidence ends up supporting. Sometimes that is not known until all the evidence is presented.
    The prosecutor should know the evidence. They should know what they feel it proves. Their job is literally to prove someone committed the crime they accuse them of. They should not get to have a fallback.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The prosecutor should know the evidence. They should know what they feel it proves. Their job is literally to prove someone committed the crime they accuse them of. They should not get to have a fallback.

You have the right to remain silent, yet the right to testify in your own defense. How does the prosecutor know what you're going to testify to before the trial?

Prosecutor must turn everything over to defense prior to trial in discovery. There is no reciprocation. How does the prosecutor know what the defense will present as evidence?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not talking about different crimes. I am talking about different charges for the same crime.

Manslaughter, murder 2, murder 1, whatever we can convince the jury of. The prosecutor should pick the one that they feel the evidence proves.

Those *are* different crimes, all committed by one act.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    More than likely there will be a plea. If you drop X charges, we will plead guilty to Y. Or, conversely, if you plead guilty to Y, I'll drop X. Here in Fort Wayne it is standard procedure. Prosecutor just wants numbers. Not justice.

Top Bottom