• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    So the LEO also was kicked out of the Army in 2016. Apparently he did about 18 months on a three year contract. He was a wheel mechanic and was discharged for “serious misconduct“.

Dude should have been cleaning bathrooms at Taco Bell.

What‘s the background check for a LEO ?

An example would be for a TS clearance.
    1. credit check 650+
    2. Spending
    3. law background check in every place you have lived
    4. your spouse’s background
    5. interviews with people that know you some in the distance past
    7. high school records
    8. travel history
    And more.
    It is a spectrum, sometimes more than what you just said, sometimes just a basic criminal history check, sometimes somewhere in-between. Depends on the state, agency, etc.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yeah, I dunno. Makes me think avoiding police interaction where possible is the best policy.
    Good advice, I did have an interaction the other day though, I randomly pulled into our Ford dealership out here as there was a car show, talked to a SD Trooper here about the Mustang he had on display lol.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Both sides are just as ludicrous. It happens but to have another officer cover for another's clearly illegal activity is rare these days. It happens but thankfully rare. LE has gone through tremendous changes just in the 27 years I've been in (mostly the better) and it will continue to evolve.
    It's the difference between something happening from time to time and there being a "culture" of it.

My summary:

"There's a culture of police corruption."

- "No there's not."

"Your saying there are no corrupt police?"

- I'm saying that there aren't vast coverups."

"You're saying there have never been coverups?"

- "I'm saying that coverups are exceedingly rare."

"You're just a mouthpiece for corrupt police."

Gotta be honest, I kinda missed the old INGO for some reason....I take a perverse pleasure in seeing it crop up from time to time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ok, maybe I missed something. It appears the officers are leaving, then the bodycam jumps to them being inside her house. If they were leaving, what made them decide to go in her house?
    Another point of cornfusion, I read where he was charged with 3 counts of murder. Did he murder someone else? Can you be charged with multiple charges for cancelling someone's birth certificate?
    Think of it as 3 types of charges of homicide. Reckless, intentional, aggravated....these are examples, I haven't read the charges in this case.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Think of it as 3 types of charges of homicide. Reckless, intentional, aggravated....these are examples, I haven't read the charges in this case.
    Why are prosecutors allowed to charge someone with a number of what should be mutually exclusive charges? Shouldn't they look at the evidence and make a charge that they think the person committed, rather than throwing a bunch at the wall and hoping one sticks?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Murder? No.

Inchoate self-defense? Far more probable. Think there is better than likely chance of a draw to Inside Straight of Manslaughter.

I cannot imagine the civil judgment but it will be policy limits plus.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Why are prosecutors allowed to charge someone with a number of what should be mutually exclusive charges? Shouldn't they look at the evidence and make a charge that they think the person committed, rather than throwing a bunch at the wall and hoping one sticks?
    If don't charge it, you can't prosecute it. A defendant can only be convicted of one crime charged as a "lesser included defense".

For instance- If you charge manslaughter- reckless homicide, but facts that come out tend to show intent, if you don't charge it, you can't pursue murder.

If you charge murder and the evidence isn't there, if you don't charge manslaughter and the evidence of intent isn't there, they can dismiss murder and pursue manslaughter only or the jury (if there enough evidence of both) can decide which one makes more sense to them.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    So the LEO also was kicked out of the Army in 2016. Apparently he did about 18 months on a three year contract. He was a wheel mechanic and was discharged for “serious misconduct“.

Dude should have been cleaning bathrooms at Taco Bell.

What‘s the background check for a LEO ?

An example would be for a TS clearance.
    1. credit check 650+
    2. Spending
    3. law background check in every place you have lived
    4. your spouse’s background
    5. interviews with people that know you some in the distance past
    7. high school records
    8. travel history
    And more.
    What was the actual character of discharge? One would think that a BCD (Bad Conduct Discharge) might be disqualifying for an LE position.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    +1 I am generally pro-police (and honestly I have always have treated fairly in interactions any with them). But if I see a police car driving near me, I'm expecting a speeding ticket in my near future. :eek:
    It's not so much I drive 100 mph as I fear the town Marshall's.

My M.O. is 5-9 above but I have been known to chase rabbits.

I always go 0-5 in small towns

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

They aren't mutually exclusive, they are "lesser but included". If you criminally kill someone with a deadly weapon, you *also* criminally battered them with a deadly weapon, etc.

It is a strategic decision for prosecution, though, for at least two reasons. One is your question, will jurors think they are unsure of the case or just throwing everything at the wall. The second is defendant sympathy and giving the jurors an 'out'. They believe the defendant really committed the higher crime but they like him for some reason or feel they would have acted the same for reason, etc. so the feeling of duty is they must convict but they don't want to, so they split the difference and convict on a lesser charge.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    What was the actual character of discharge? One would think that a BCD (Bad Conduct Discharge) might be disqualifying for an LE position.
    It was a General discharge under honorable conditions.

Separation code JKQ = misconduct serious offense

Its also in the narrative of discharge in plain English.

Note: If someone has a DD214 the years should be like 3 years 1 day. Ask questions if it’s like 1 year and 19 days enlistment’s are typically 3,4,6 years.

Did we also say he had two OWI’s back to back ?

Then there’s the self inflicted gunshot thing called over the radio Then when her Father called the hospital that’s what the doctor told him.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    They aren't mutually exclusive, they are "lesser but included". If you criminally kill someone with a deadly weapon, you *also* criminally battered them with a deadly weapon, etc.

It is a strategic decision for prosecution, though, for at least two reasons. One is your question, will jurors think they are unsure of the case or just throwing everything at the wall. The second is defendant sympathy and giving the jurors an 'out'. They believe the defendant really committed the higher crime but they like him for some reason or feel they would have acted the same for reason, etc. so the feeling of duty is they must convict but they don't want to, so they split the difference and convict on a lesser charge.
    I don't understand why they are allowed to do this though. Why does the prosecution get to hedge their bets like that?

"We feel the perp committed the bad crime, but if we can't convince the jury of that maybe we can convince them of a lesser crime". That does not seem right to me. It seems they should have to pick a crime and convince the jury of that crime, not one of many.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't understand why they are allowed to do this though. Why does the prosecution get to hedge their bets like that?

"We feel the perp committed the bad crime, but if we can't convince the jury of that maybe we can convince them of a lesser crime". That does not seem right to me. It seems they should have to pick a crime and convince the jury of that crime, not one of many.
    When I file a civil case, I get to alleged multiple alternative theories that are mutually exclusive. It's the same thing. It allows the evidence to guide the result of the case.

We want a guy convicted of what the evidence shows rather than putting a jury in the position of either letting a guy go completely when he may have committed a crime or convicting him of a greater crime than the evidence ends up supporting. Sometimes that is not known until all the evidence is presented.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I’ve always never understood why prior military experience is so prevalent among cops because nearly all of the qualities that would make someone an excellent soldier are the qualities that make someone unfit to be an officer.

I have a suspicion that we’d see less of these events (which I acknowledge are a tiny fraction of overall police interactions) if departments would stop recruiting vets and have a no tat policy.
    There's some truth to this but as always 'it depends'. For many Vets moving into LE seems like a natural transition on the surface but there are definitely differences. I've known many LEO's who started with a single 3-4 year enlistment then went to school and became an LEO and have had good careers. The ones that I think end up having issues are the ones that invest 10-12 years or more and then get out, they have a different mindset by then and for many I wouldn't want them working within 5 feet of the public. Often when I go to my annual mission I run into E6's and E7's on active duty with 10+ years who say they are getting out and I ask them what are they going to do and invariably they just shrug and say I'll probably just go back home and be a cop lol.

Top Bottom