• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Okay, you've got two different things going on here.

First is your beef with the folks (not me) who want to ban/regulate bikes on roads. I don't agree with those folks either; go take it up with them instead of addressing them while quoting and replying to my posts.

Second is your beef with the suggestion that it is impolite to "ride on certain roads or at certain times."

If you want to rewrite that for gun owners, it would be saying that is impolite to "shoot at certain places or at certain times."

It might be legal for me to go out on my own private property at first light in the summer and start doing mag dumps with my AR-15 into a safe backstop. But it would be pretty rude to my neighbor whose bedroom window is 100 yards in the other direction.

So yes, I stand by both assertions: It is rude to go out shooting recreationally at certain places and certain times. And it is rude to go cycling recreationally on certain roads at certain times.

I can make either statement without calling for more laws, or any other sort of infringement on people's rights.
    Meh. I don't advocate for banning bicycles on roads, or taxing them, or otherwise regulating them any more than they already are, which isn't a lot. But he seems angry at me. Why? Perhaps it's because I use the term "dickhead" to describe cyclists who act lie dickheads. He acts like if I say that about a few, I mean it for the whole group. And if that's the case, he's probably not reading my posts.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That doesn't answer the question of 'how often?'
    Several times during spring/summer/fall. Mostly summer. I don't count how many times I've been stuck behind slow cycling groups just like I don't tally how many times a "cage" driver (I'd like to know the origin of that) pisses me off.

What vast inconvenience are you experiencing, so existential that you insist that all bicyclists must give way to all cars at all times?
    Why are you saying things I'm not saying. What do you not understand about when you see a stack of cars behind you, don't be a dickhead. Let them by.

Once a week? Once a month? Enquiring minds want to know

Are they always riding two up or more every time you encounter them? Is it always the same place you encounter them (ie: they're two up because they're at the head of a turn lane at a signal)? Do you ever encounter what you suspect is the same group but they're single file?
    I said I don't know if it's the same group. They're all wearing spandex. How would I know? :):

The times I've been stuck behind them, or I've seen them ride past my house, it's usually not single file when it's a larger group. I suspect when I see a larger group it's a club just doing a group outing. I often see individuals or smaller groups under 6. I think they're just getting together with friends to go for a ride.

Are they already riding close to the right extreme of the roadway (18" or less) or lane if it is multi-lane? If it IS multi-lane, why can't you get around them without so much fuss?
    I think I've explained it quite well over several posts. I'm getting a little weary of repeating information that I've already given. But...

You've been on country roads before, right? It's probably like those unless you mostly ride on flat terrain. It's two-way, one lane each way. If I drag my trailer behind my truck, the trailer pretty much takes up an entire lane.There are no painted lines. No signals. Two 4 way stops over several miles.

Like I've mentioned, many stretches of the road are curvy, hilly, through the woods. Much of the length of the road has no berm, and nothing but ditch or a wall of dirt on either side of the road. There aren't any left turn lanes at all. There are other roads that tee off of it, and some of them have widened pavement, but I wouldn't quite call it a right turn lane. So not many places for bikes to let cars by, but there are places.

And finally, is it possible you live close to a meet-up point for a group ride, so close that they have not had a chance to self sort - kind of like traffic immediately after a single lane restriction opens back out to two or more lanes? Hint: with a little research on the internet you can probably answer that question

It's not a question I'm agonizing over. But I have wondered why they pick that road. It's not particularly scenic, though there are some challenging hills. It's dangerous because there's no where to go if you have to get off the road. There are some scenic roads not far away. It may be that it's a thruway to get to a more scenic ride without having to travel on busier highways.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    View attachment 312678

Benz moving into next lane. Then look at how much room there is to the left of the rider. Plenty of room for both of them, but only the car is taking evasive action.
    Two things:

1) He is looking to his right, below a certain level of skill + practice he will also subtly steer to his right

2) When he goes down, the stack starts at the back wheel. While if the front wheel washed out (lost traction) it might take you down, it would look different. If the rear wheel somehow lost traction it likely wouldn't even cause a loss of control, but if someone like the Benz driver gave you a NASCAR tap, it would drastically slow the rear wheel as well as impose a side load - which is exactly what we see in the video

The Benz driver struck another vehicle, causing an injury accident and then fled the scene. Throw the book at him and then sue him for everything he's got. Maybe he can tow that caravan with a used Focus

Edit: Look at your still again, when the 'Benz [is] moving into next lane', there is already a car occupying that space. WTF?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Uhh, look at it again. The Benz driver touches his rear wheel with his bumper which is what causes him to go down. That is exactly the entitled, 'my time/life is more important than yours' attitude we are speaking of

Are you saying retribution for the perceived slight of failure to yield is an acceptable action, even to the extent of risking a worse accident (some one could have rear-ended the Benz's caravan). It is at least a two-lane road and the traffic doesn't seem very heavy. The Benz driver had a way to get around slower traffic and didn't avail himself of it because of an elevated sense of his own importance. If I saw that and we caught up with him up the road, I would be sorely tempted to help administer the beat down
    Dude. WTF are you talking about? I’m literally making no judgements about the video because we only know what happened within a few seconds. I don’t have enough context even to be as sure as you are that Benz dude fled the scene. Looks like he sped up. You don’t know what he did seconds after.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Several times during spring/summer/fall. Mostly summer. I don't count how many times I've been stuck behind slow cycling groups just like I don't tally how many times a "cage" driver (I'd like to know the origin of that) pisses me off.
    I don't know the origin either, but if it wasn't here it should have been

… And every single meeting with his so called superior
    Is a humiliating kick in the crotch
    Many miles away
    Something crawls to the surface
    Of a dark Scottish loch

… Another working day has ended
    Only the rush hour hell to face
    Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes
    Contestants in a suicidal race. - The Police, Synchronicity II

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The Benz driver struck another vehicle, causing an injury accident and then fled the scene. Throw the book at him and then sue him for everything he's got.
    I have no problem with charging him for leaving the scene. We just disagree as to who was at fault. You said yourself that when the cyclist looked back to his right that it was natural for him to drift to the right. I think that's what happened. To put it in NASCAR terms, he "slid up into him". The car wasn't pushing him down.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What do you not understand about when you see a stack of cars behind you, don't be a dickhead. Let them by.
    What do YOU not understand when I show you cyclists riding single file within inches of the fog line, like they're supposed to. How can those people move over any further? They've done all they can, if the cage people can't get by it would seem it is on them, because there is no place to 'pull over' anywheres in sight - proof that a typical cager doesn't want to wait more than 10 seconds before calling Lèse-majesté

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

To evaluate if the link is worth my time...either of them hot?
    It seems more like judging all members of a class by the actions of a few and proposing restrictions on that class that don't fit the actual level of the problem

You know, kind of like 'ACAB' and 'defund the police'

Wait, some people don't like the police? WTF did that start?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What do YOU not understand when I show you cyclists riding single file within inches of the fog line, like they're supposed to. How can those people move over any further? They've done all they can, if the cage people can't get by it would seem it is on them, because there is no place to 'pull over' anywheres in sight - proof that a typical cager doesn't want to wait more than 10 seconds before calling Lèse-majesté
    You showed me a photo of a scene which I had no problem with. If all scenes involving cyclists were like that one I don’t think this thread would ever have gotten posted.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You showed me a photo of a scene which I had no problem with. If all scenes involving cyclists were like that one I don’t think this thread would ever have gotten posted.
    Then why do you post like every interaction you have with bicyclists is problematic and you have those interactions frequently

Does the title of this thread, referencing only cyclists in general, somehow make you think much is going on in the way of discernment?

This whole thread could be reduced three sentences:

Dickhead cyclists exist

Dickhead motorists exist

The end

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Bug, I think the problem is that you don’t read. You keep making up things you think I said, that I didn’t say.

But anyway. The thread was spawned from another thread to answer, why all the cyclist hate. It’s about cyclist dickheads. Point me to the motorist dickhead thread so we can discuss why people hate motorists. That might be boring for you though wouldn’t it? No skin in the game. How about making it, “why all the Subaru driver hate?” :):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Bug, I think the problem is that you don’t read. You keep making up things you think I said, that I didn’t say.

But anyway. The thread was spawned from another thread to answer, why all the cyclist hate. It’s about cyclist dickheads. Point me to the motorist dickhead thread so we can discuss why people hate motorists. That might be boring for you though wouldn’t it? No skin in the game. How about making it, “why all the Subaru driver hate?” :):
    we had a thread on pet peeves. It was mostly about car driver stuff.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Though I'm sure if we started a thread on hating motorists it would fill up pretty fast.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Though I'm sure if we started a thread on hating motorists it would fill up pretty fast.
    It'd fill up like cars stuck behind someone camping in the left lane.

This post was interesting.
    If I'm in the left lane and already doing 85 in a 60, don't get on my bumper, just use the right lane to go around. Why do I have to move over just so you can stay in the left lane. [you = the guy behind me]

I think the obvious thing is the road is hilly and curvy. :):

Seriously, the law in Indiana doesn't involve speeds. Just that if you look in your rear view and there's a stack of cars on your tail, get the **** over. Far too few tickets are written because of that.

If you're going 85 in a 60 in the left lane, and a stack of traffic has congregated behind you, that means they can't pass on the right because slower traffic is in the right lane. Also, it's less safe to pass on the right.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It'd fill up like cars stuck behind someone camping in the left lane.

This post was interesting.

I think the obvious thing is the road is hilly and curvy. :):

Seriously, the law in Indiana doesn't involve speeds. Just that if you look in your rear view and there's a stack of cars on your tail, get the **** over. Far too few tickets are written because of that.

If you're going 85 in a 60 in the left lane, and a stack of traffic has congregated behind you, that means they can't pass on the right because slower traffic is in the right lane. Also, it's less safe to pass on the right.
    Que obviously had a basic misunderstanding of how to drive.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    This is the most exciting thing to happen to INGO since somebody lost their wallet to the boner drone. I've been thoroughly entertained and hope it goes seven more days of **** posting.
    21 days and almost 30 pages more, and it's still going strong. Looks like you got your wish and then some.

Plus enough strawmen in this thread to furnish the whole state of Indiana with scarecrows. Perfect for the fall season. :)

Top Bottom