• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm not sure why they picked this road. But they've been riding here for the past several years. I have no idea if it's the same group.
    That doesn't answer the question of 'how often?'

What vast inconvenience are you experiencing, so existential that you insist that all bicyclists must give way to all cars at all times?

Once a week? Once a month? Enquiring minds want to know

Are they always riding two up or more every time you encounter them? Is it always the same place you encounter them (ie: they're two up because they're at the head of a turn lane at a signal)? Do you ever encounter what you suspect is the same group but they're single file? Are they already riding close to the right extreme of the roadway (18" or less) or lane if it is multi-lane? If it IS multi-lane, why can't you get around them without so much fuss?

And finally, is it possible you live close to a meet-up point for a group ride, so close that they have not had a chance to self sort - kind of like traffic immediately after a single lane restriction opens back out to two or more lanes? Hint: with a little research on the internet you can probably answer that question

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Huh. Looks like more than 3 cars were stacked up behind him.

Seriously, I think those guys are trusting their lives to the human attention span riding like that. You can be right. And you can also be dead right.
    Uhh, look at it again. The Benz driver touches his rear wheel with his bumper which is what causes him to go down. That is exactly the entitled, 'my time/life is more important than yours' attitude we are speaking of

Are you saying retribution for the perceived slight of failure to yield is an acceptable action, even to the extent of risking a worse accident (some one could have rear-ended the Benz's caravan). It is at least a two-lane road and the traffic doesn't seem very heavy. The Benz driver had a way to get around slower traffic and didn't avail himself of it because of an elevated sense of his own importance. If I saw that and we caught up with him up the road, I would be sorely tempted to help administer the beat down

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Uhh, look at it again. The Benz driver touches his rear wheel with his bumper which is what causes him to go down. That is exactly the entitled, 'my time/life is more important than yours' attitude we are speaking of

Are you saying retribution for the perceived slight of failure to yield is an acceptable action, even to the extent of risking a worse accident (some one could have rear-ended the Benz's caravan). It is at least a two-lane road and the traffic doesn't seem very heavy. The Benz driver had a way to get around slower traffic and didn't avail himself of it because of an elevated sense of his own importance. If I saw that and we caught up with him up the road, I would be sorely tempted to help administer the beat down
    You might want to look again. The Benz was a full 18-24" in the lane to his right, so he was trying to go around the cyclist. It looked to me like when the cyclist looked back, his rear wheel swerved into the bumper of the car.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Damn. We're into Bill Clinton level defining of common terms now. :lmfao:

I'm eagerly awaiting Godwin's law to make entry as the poor oppressed cyclists still don't get their parade of adoration they so desperately seek while dodging the whole premise of the thread while boldly reinforcing it.
    It seems more like judging all members of a class by the actions of a few and proposing restrictions on that class that don't fit the actual level of the problem

You know, kind of like 'ACAB' and 'defund the police'

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It might be legal for me to go out on my own private property at first light in the summer and start doing mag dumps with my AR-15 into a safe backstop. But it would be pretty rude to my neighbor whose bedroom window is 100 yards in the other direction.
    I'm not sure that would even be legal - anytime, depending on what type of jurisdiction you live in. Quite often it is illegal to discharge a weapon within 500 feet of a domicile in most incorporated areas (and that is mostly aimed at restricting hunting, I believe)

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    The more accurate analogy is saying “it would be saying that is impolite to carry at certain places or at certain times."
    No it wouldn't.

I am making an analogy with using, that is, riding your bike. Therefore, the accurate analogy with a firearm is using, that is, shooting it.

Carrying your gun on your person is more analogous to having your bicycle in/on your vehicle on the road.

Now, even with that being said, as actaeon277 pointed out, the statement “it is impolite to carry at certain places or at certain times" can actually still be true, especially depending on the type of firearm you are carrying. I'm not going to open carry my AR-15 to a wedding, for instance.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I'm not sure that would even be legal - anytime, depending on what type of jurisdiction you live in. Quite often it is illegal to discharge a weapon within 500 feet of a domicile in most incorporated areas (and that is mostly aimed at restricting hunting, I believe)
    Okay, well make it 500 feet away, then, that's still a lot of noise, especially if you break out the 50 BMG. The point isn't whether it's legal or not. The point is that it is, or at least can be, rude. Having a right to keep and bear arms doesn't automatically mean that every single legal thing that you do with those arms cannot be rude. Same thing goes for bicycles on the road.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You might want to look again. The Benz was a full 18-24" in the lane to his right, so he was trying to go around the cyclist. It looked to me like when the cyclist looked back, his rear wheel swerved into the bumper of the car.
    Have to disagree. A second or so before the event in question, the Benz driver moves up on the cyclist, then something sudden happens to make him crash and that something is an input/impulse being applied to his rear wheel. Most drivers of anything who can't hold their lane will subtly steer in the direction they turn their head to look (which is why group rides that include gutter bunnies are so dangerous to one and all and why people steer into the accident off to the side of the road that they're rubber-necking) but won't slow down - plus the distance from whoever/whatever is videoing the event doesn't change which indicates the bicycles speed doesn't change. Cage driver decides to force the issue, and since his tag appears in the video I hope the cyclist sues the **** out of him

As far as extra points awarded for hubris, the Benz driver seems blissfully unaware that he is already a stench in EVERYBODY'S nostrils by the mere fact he is towing a caravan

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    How far out can we extrapolate the 'pursuit of happiness' clause?
    I believe it is already being extrapolated to alibi stoners behind the wheel because; freedom and 'it's just a plant that's been used for thousands of years (and ignoring the fact the usual strawman argument - alcohol - has likely been used even longer) :rolleyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Have to disagree. A second or so before the event in question, the Benz driver moves up on the cyclist, then something sudden happens to make him crash and that something is an input/impulse being applied to his rear wheel. Most drivers of anything who can't hold their lane will subtly steer in the direction they turn their head to look (which is why group rides that include gutter bunnies are so dangerous to one and all and why people steer into the accident off to the side of the road that they're rubber-necking) but won't slow down - plus the distance from whoever/whatever is videoing the event doesn't change which indicates the bicycles speed doesn't change. Cage driver decides to force the issue, and since his tag appears in the video I hope the cyclist sues the **** out of him

As far as extra points awarded for hubris, the Benz driver seems blissfully unaware that he is already a stench in EVERYBODY'S nostrils by the mere fact he is towing a caravan
    1700258210198.png

Benz moving into next lane. Then look at how much room there is to the left of the rider. Plenty of room for both of them, but only the car is taking evasive action.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Don't you mean pickup drivers?
    You can tell when a pickup driver is a dickhead. Usually drives a ridiculously lifted diesel with either exhaust stacks or a 5 gallon bucket for an exhaust tip. Rolls coal just to **** people off.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As I said here before many of the points here are constructed similarly to the points made by anti-gunners about guns.

Claims of “common sense” use, restricted use, it is just recreation all sound quite similar to common sense gun control, the second is about hunting, and these are minor restrictions from anti-gunners…
    I mean ya. Exactly like guns. You should be able to ride that thing anywhere on the road, as slow as you want. Unrestricted. **** those cage drivers. Right. They’re all losers. Not muh problem if my recreations slow them down.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Those in the thread are advocating for regulation, taxation, and restrictions. Cyclists do criticize other cyclists for bad behavior but what many here have described as bad behavior is normal riding. So far posts have suggested it is “dickhead” to ride on certain roads or at certain times, that bikes are recreational and have no priority on the road, that regulations should be passed to make cyclists get off the roads when cars are behind, that bikes should have license plates and be taxed, all the way to some here suggesting bike’s should not be allowed on the road at all.

Rewritten by anti-gunners.

So far posts have suggested it is “dickhead” to open carry, that regulations should be passed to make gun free zones, that gun owners should have registration and be taxed, all the way to some suggesting guns should not be legal at all.

Yep, the anti-bike sound just like the anti-gun…
    How is open carry anything like not letting faster traffic pass? It doesn’t sounds anything like anti gun people. Is it that you don’t like it that there’s an expectation of responsibility? All I’m asking is don’t be a dickhead to other people who get to share the road too. Sharing goes both ways.

Top Bottom