• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not enough info to make any determination unless you use your bias to decide…
    I made no judgment about the accident itself. There's not enough context to say what all happened.

What have I decided, which is objectively true, is that it's a busy road and I would not trust my life to the attention span of that many drivers.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You are acting entitled because you cannot be patient until it is safe to pass. Define what you mean by pulling off the road?
    This is far beyond getting ridiculous. When you have a stack of traffic behind you, either let traffic pass, get the **** over, off the road, or whatever to let people pass, when you can safely do so. You even said it's the law. So why be so defensive? Follow the ***damn law. At least the ones that make sense. I don't blame you for not stopping at stop signs. Often its safer not to.

Are we not saying the same thing? Or is it that you got mad at me because I made fun of spandex? :): So now you'd rather disagree for the sake of not agreeing with that mean old spandex hater? And honestly. I don't really hate spandex. It's just easy to poke fun at.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is far beyond getting ridiculous.
    Agreed, when the majority agree bikes should at minimum be restricted in some way from roads it has been and is completely ridiculous…

When you have a stack of traffic behind you, either let traffic pass, get the **** over, off the road, or whatever to let people pass, when you can safely do so. You even said it's the law. So why be so defensive? Follow the ***damn law. At least the ones that make sense. I don't blame you for not stopping at stop signs. Often its safer not to.

Are we not saying the same thing? Or is it that you got mad at me because I made fun of spandex? :): So now you'd rather disagree for the sake of not agreeing with that mean old spandex hater? And honestly. I don't really hate spandex. It's just easy to poke fun at.
    Maybe we agree maybe we do not, define what you mean by pulling off the road?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Agreed, when the majority agree bikes should at minimum be restricted in some way from roads it has been and is completely ridiculous…
    I mean. This still sounds like some butthurt. It sounds to me like you don't like it that people want you to let them pass. But you're the slow vehicle. Whether I'm on a bicycle, or tractor, or what, if I'm the slow vehicle it's on me to get out of the way and let traffic pass. Is it an issue of "How dare they?" What's the angst? I really don't know what is wrong with not impeding traffic.

Maybe we agree maybe we do not, define what you mean by pulling off the road?
    Whatever it takes to let traffic pass and in a way where everyone is safest.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Damn. We're into Bill Clinton level defining of common terms now. :lmfao:

I'm eagerly awaiting Godwin's law to make entry as the poor oppressed cyclists still don't get their parade of adoration they so desperately seek while dodging the whole premise of the thread while boldly reinforcing it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I mean. This still sounds like some butthurt. It sounds to me like you don't like it that people want you to let them pass. But you're the slow vehicle. Whether I'm on a bicycle, or tractor, or what, if I'm the slow vehicle it's on me to get out of the way and let traffic pass. Is it an issue of "How dare they?" What's the angst? I really don't know what is wrong with not impeding traffic.

Whatever it takes to let traffic pass and in a way where everyone is safest.
    You will not define what you mean by pulling off the road. I suspect your definition will be different than mine.

As a cyclist I hate vehicles behind me and do everything possible to get them gone. That said most people that do not ride seriously have very different opinions on when it is clear to “get out of the way”.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You will not define what you mean by pulling off the road. I suspect your definition will be different than mine.
    I absolutely did. It means get the **** out of the way. But safely. You keep picking nits. Ain't none.

As a cyclist I hate vehicles behind me and do everything possible to get them gone.
    Good. That means you're probably not a dickhead...while cycling. :):
    That said most people that do not ride seriously have very different opinions on when it is clear to “get out of the way”.
    It does not appear to me that this is what you were asking. Why not ask it this way in the first place? I don't think "doing everything possible to get them gone" is too far from the way I said it.

If it were me, I wouldn't ride on my road. It's too narrow. Too many blind curves. It's dangerous enough driving a motor vehicle on it, especially since people can't stay in their lane. And it's getting busier as new subdivision get built. But for whatever reason, groups seem to like to ride there.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I've said it before, but I'll say it again.

Rotten motorists, in my experience, far outnumber rotten cyclists, and pose a far greater danger to others on the road.

The difference is, the "cage people", as some like to call them, don't feel personally attacked when obvious rude behavior by other motorists is pointed out. If you go on youtube and watch dashcam compilations, the comments are full of other motorists mocking and bemoaning the idiotic and rude behavior of the morons and jerks on the road operating motor vehicles.

I've never met a motorist, either in really life or on the interwebs, who felt like they had to go to ridiculous lengths to defend every other motorist on the road, inventing hypothetical possibilities to justify every sort of bad behavior presented.

I've never met a motorist who said "I should have the right to recreationally drive any vehicle I want, at however slow of a speed I want, at any time or section of road I want, and if anyone even remotely suggests that it would maybe be the polite thing to do if I consider the way my recreation might hold up traffic, and look for times/places that are conducive to the speed and vehicle of my choosing, then that person is an entitled prick."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Rotten motorists, in my experience, far outnumber rotten cyclists, and pose a far greater danger to others on the road.
    It's all about proportions. Motorists far outnumber any cyclists. Proportionally, of course there would be more dickhead cage people.

The difference is, the "cage people", as some like to call them, don't feel personally attacked when obvious rude behavior by other motorists is pointed out. If you go on youtube and watch dashcam compilations, the comments are full of other motorists mocking and bemoaning the idiotic and rude behavior of the morons and jerks on the road operating motor vehicles.
    Honestly, it's really how the personalities play out. You've heard both of them in this thread speak to the solidarity of their "brethren". I don't think it's something about a cyclist's ethos that is different from motorists ethos that makes them feel personally attacked. Motorists generally are far more ubiquitous than cyclists. You might as well say "everyone". There's no brethren there.

For example, Beemer drivers. I can say I think they tend to be dickheads, and, now that I've constrained "motorists" to specific motorists, who share something in common, that probably offense some Beemer drivers. In the same way as stereotyping cyclists as dickheads.

I've never met a motorist, either in really life or on the interwebs, who felt like they had to go to ridiculous lengths to defend every other motorist on the road, inventing hypothetical possibilities to justify every sort of bad behavior presented.
    Uh. Beemer drivers.

I've never met a motorist who said "I should have the right to recreationally drive any vehicle I want, at however slow of a speed I want, at any time or section of road I want, and if anyone even remotely suggests that it would maybe be the polite thing to do if I consider the way my recreation might hold up traffic, and look for times/places that are conducive to the speed and vehicle of my choosing, then that person is an entitled prick."
    Don't forget, all that while pointing out that the law already prohibits it -- as a point for their justification of such! :n00b:

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    For example, Beemer drivers. I can say I think they tend to be dickheads, and, now that I've constrained "motorists" to specific motorists, who share something in common, that probably offense some Beemer drivers. In the same way as stereotyping cyclists as dickheads.
    Don't you mean pickup drivers?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

As I said here before many of the points here are constructed similarly to the points made by anti-gunners about guns.

Claims of “common sense” use, restricted use, it is just recreation all sound quite similar to common sense gun control, the second is about hunting, and these are minor restrictions from anti-gunners…

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    As I said here before many of the points here are constructed similarly to the points made by anti-gunners about guns.

Claims of “common sense” use, restricted use, it is just recreation all sound quite similar to common sense gun control, the second is about hunting, and these are minor restrictions from anti-gunners…
    Difference being I'm not advocating in favor of any laws to restrict cyclists. Why do you keep insinuating that I am?

Actually, this further reinforces the point I made above. In my experience, when gun owners see idiots with guns doing stupid, rude, irresponsible things, as a community, they generally agree that those people shouldn't do those things. They don't have to immediately trip over themselves saying how what they did is legal, and is a part of their 2A right, and try to come up with possible excuses for why they had to do it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Difference being I'm not advocating in favor of any laws to restrict cyclists. Why do you keep insinuating that I am?

Actually, this further reinforces the point I made above. In my experience, when gun owners see idiots with guns doing stupid, rude, irresponsible things, as a community, they generally agree that those people shouldn't do those things. They don't have to immediately trip over themselves saying how what they did is legal, and is a part of their 2A right, and try to come up with possible excuses for why they had to do it.
    Those in the thread are advocating for regulation, taxation, and restrictions. Cyclists do criticize other cyclists for bad behavior but what many here have described as bad behavior is normal riding. So far posts have suggested it is “dickhead” to ride on certain roads or at certain times, that bikes are recreational and have no priority on the road, that regulations should be passed to make cyclists get off the roads when cars are behind, that bikes should have license plates and be taxed, all the way to some here suggesting bike’s should not be allowed on the road at all.

Rewritten by anti-gunners.

So far posts have suggested it is “dickhead” to open carry, that regulations should be passed to make gun free zones, that gun owners should have registration and be taxed, all the way to some suggesting guns should not be legal at all.

Yep, the anti-bike sound just like the anti-gun…

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Hey, wait just a darn minute!!........
    I do ride a BMW motor"cycle"... does that mean I'm a double dickhead?

maury-sigh.gif

Ok, I can see your point.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana

I get your point but bike riding in the road isn't mentioned in the Bill of Rights.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Those in the thread are advocating for regulation, taxation, and restrictions. Cyclists do criticize other cyclists for bad behavior but what many here have described as bad behavior is normal riding. So far posts have suggested it is “dickhead” to ride on certain roads or at certain times, that bikes are recreational and have no priority on the road, that regulations should be passed to make cyclists get off the roads when cars are behind, that bikes should have license plates and be taxed, all the way to some here suggesting bike’s should not be allowed on the road at all.

Rewritten by anti-gunners.

So far posts have suggested it is “dickhead” to open carry, that regulations should be passed to make gun free zones, that gun owners should have registration and be taxed, all the way to some suggesting guns should not be legal at all.

Yep, the anti-bike sound just like the anti-gun…
    Okay, you've got two different things going on here.

First is your beef with the folks (not me) who want to ban/regulate bikes on roads. I don't agree with those folks either; go take it up with them instead of addressing them while quoting and replying to my posts.

Second is your beef with the suggestion that it is impolite to "ride on certain roads or at certain times."

If you want to rewrite that for gun owners, it would be saying that is impolite to "shoot at certain places or at certain times."

It might be legal for me to go out on my own private property at first light in the summer and start doing mag dumps with my AR-15 into a safe backstop. But it would be pretty rude to my neighbor whose bedroom window is 100 yards in the other direction.

So yes, I stand by both assertions: It is rude to go out shooting recreationally at certain places and certain times. And it is rude to go cycling recreationally on certain roads at certain times.

I can make either statement without calling for more laws, or any other sort of infringement on people's rights.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%