• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was never a cyclist, but I did ride a bike. That is a bit hyperbolic. If there are obviously no cars at an intersection, a bike going though the intersection without actually stopping is not really a safety hazard for anyone.
    Okay, so maybe bicycles don't belong on busy roads with stop signs at intersections. I mean. Not that we're not rehashing things that we've previously hashed in the first 20 pages of the thread. We should probably get back to posting videos of cyclists face planting so that a couple of posters take it way to seriously.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Any “yield” is at the cyclists discretion of what is practicable, not the motorists “I’m behind you get out of the way” but I do not believe that “yield” is state law…
    It should be. If you see a line of cars behind you, GTF outta the way. Yer being a dick.

But I've said that already. Way back in the thread.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It takes much effort (fuel/wear and tear on my transmission/brakes) to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. I think we could stave off global catastrophe if we just rolled through them...that is, if no one is also at the intersection.
    You mean that's not the law? :n00b:

Oops.

:):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Is the same true for cars? If there are obviously no cars at an intersection, is it a safety hazard for a car going through the intersection without actually stopping?

And is this even a logical line of argumentation? Either cyclists have to obey the laws of the road, or they do not.
    Well, apparently different rules for thee.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ok, riddle me this.

Imagine you are on a bicycle at a normal 4 way intersection. The light is red so you can cross in the crosswalk. You can then be on the side of the road you want to be on without the need to cross traffic again (you're crossing the road, then turning right to stay on that side of the road).

Do you: Cross in the crosswalk , turn right, and continue on the sidewalk.

-OR-

Leave the crosswalk, weave between the cars stopped at the red light like a etch-a-sketch cursor drawing a stair case, then pick your bike up onto the sidewalk and continue along?

Is this some sort of cool new trend? Like eating Tide pods or something? WTF would you make it harder on yourself and more dangerous for everyone. Didn't appear drug addled at first glance, but didn't get a solid look at her up close. Just an oddity.

*edit* and, yes, I know bicycles aren't supposed to be on the sidewalk but it's less stupid to be on the sidewalk then in the road in this location.
    I love etch-a-sketch. Obviously you do the etch-a-sketch thing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I gotta a little bell on my bike I ring for the walkers. And scream passing on the left! If they don’t move I yell, “Oh no my brakes don’t work I’m going to hit someone!” Always have plenty of room.
    I have a bell too. When I get their attention, they see 320 lbs of mass (including the 50 lb bike) hurling towards them, they tend to move out of the way.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Isn't Indiana law that any stop sign trimmed in white is optional? :):
    Another rule for stop signs trimmed in white, is when two vehicles reach a 4 way stop at the same time, the one who can get in the intersection first has the right of way. You fall asleep at the stop, it's automatically my right of way. If it's a bicycle, it's automatically my right of way regardless.

Might makes right. Right? :):

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Is the same true for cars? If there are obviously no cars at an intersection, is it a safety hazard for a car going through the intersection without actually stopping?

And is this even a logical line of argumentation? Either cyclists have to obey the laws of the road, or they do not.
    That is why they are building roundabouts and changing laws for bicycles because the old thinking was stupid and arbitrary…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Okay, so maybe bicycles don't belong on busy roads with stop signs at intersections. I mean. Not that we're not rehashing things that we've previously hashed in the first 20 pages of the thread. We should probably get back to posting videos of cyclists face planting so that a couple of posters take it way too seriously.
    And another “GTF outta the way” post from @jamil

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I don't know about where you live, but I see people do it, especially rolling stops.

To answer the question, no it is not a safety hazard to not stop if there are obviously no other vehicles around. It is still against the law though. The biggest issue is one of complacency. If someone fails to stop all the time because there isn't anyone around, they may become complacent and fail to stop when they really should have. That is easier to do in a motor vehicle than on a bike.

This really seems like a silly thing to even argue about. It's about equivalent to if a tree falls in the woods and there is no one to hear it, does it make a sound.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    How about after rolling some coal, one parks down the road at the beginning of their driveway and grins like Fritz the Cat when they ride by a few minutes later.
    This is assault and you act like it is a joke. It is also dangerous and you would be liable if a cyclist crashes on top of criminal or misdemeanor charges. That could be an expensive “joke”…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Do 0This is assault and you act like it is a joke. It is also dangerous and you would be liable if a cyclist crashes on top of criminal or misdemeanor charges. That could be an expensive “joke”…

Texas.... lol
    It's always funny to the cyclist when they are riding 2 to 4 wide, they ALWAYS laugh and yell at each other and point at how many folks they are holding up.
    Because no one else has things to do that day except wait for a few adolescents in rainbow clothes to move out of the way.

I always have it on video, not really concerned. Plus I'm old and have good insurance.
    Sometimes it costs money to teach some a few lessons in acting like an adult.

Top Bottom