• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That is not what studies show. That is why states are changing the laws, albeit slowly, but even Indiana has already adopted the red light is a stop for cyclists.
    I have no problem with this. The difference is the cyclist coming to a stop, and looking for oncoming/right-of-way traffic before proceeding - exactly the opposite of blowing through stop signs.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    And I said they did study it and found your point to be true and that roundabouts allow all drivers to roll through intersections without coming to a complete stop instead of the stop sign.
    I'm not talking about roundabouts. You are the one conflating the two specific examples. I'm talking about the same intersections that you are supporting bicyclists blowing through because of the effort it causes them.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    We walk about 4 mi a day, did 12 last Sunday with the kids, I told them we could do the Kokomo to Peru leg which is about 15 miles… although I would probably want a ride home afterwards.

We walk 4 abreast for safety, the bikes really get upset when they can’t pass but we have just as much right as they do to be there, maybe more…
    I gotta a little bell on my bike I ring for the walkers. And scream passing on the left! If they don’t move I yell, “Oh no my brakes don’t work I’m going to hit someone!” Always have plenty of room.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    We walk about 4 mi a day, did 12 last Sunday with the kids, I told them we could do the Kokomo to Peru leg which is about 15 miles… although I would probably want a ride home afterwards.

We walk 4 abreast for safety, the bikes really get upset when they can’t pass but we have just as much right as they do to be there, maybe more…
    You are correct that walkers are the apex of awesomeness! We bow down to your superior breeding, beauty and cultured manners.

I learned this from trying to ride through Carmel on the Monon. On a weekday morning, those Carmel moms own that trail like they were royalty.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have no problem with this. The difference is the cyclist coming to a stop, and looking for oncoming/right-of-way traffic before proceeding - exactly the opposite of blowing through stop signs.
    Do you really believe that serious cyclists are just “blowing through stop signs”? You may not see them looking and timing the crossing but most do just that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm not talking about roundabouts. You are the one conflating the two specific examples. I'm talking about the same intersections that you are supporting bicyclists blowing through because of the effort it causes them.
    I am saying you are right and roundabout research has proven it correct. If you think the majority of motor vehicles do complete stops you are not watching close enough…

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    20240612_142648.jpg
    How do you guys feel about bikeways on certain county roads?

I gave up riding on county roads in Kosciusko county due to the excessive number of texting & speeding drivers on these hilly and curvy roads. Up here, the worst drivers have IL plates.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    View attachment 358782
    How do you guys feel about bikeways on certain county roads?

I gave up riding on county roads in Kosciusko county due to the excessive number of texting & speeding drivers on these hilly and curvy roads. Up here, the worst drivers have IL plates.
    I believe it. Leading up to the weekends there are so many AINO’s (adults in name only – over 18 but still teenagers mentally) headed for Lake Waswasee and their affluent parents cottages on the lake. The only thing they’re paying attention to is checking their phone for when the party starts.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Ive had plenty of aholes on bicycles hold me up and laugh about it between themselves over my life, but I have never been held up and laughed at with any single, group, gang, gaggle or tribe of motorcycles since I started driving in 1974.
    I take it you've never been on a secondary road out west where a group of 30 or 40 motorcycles are sightseeing at 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit and there is no practical way to get by them

Next you'll probably say they aren't really holding me up by being slightly under the speed limit. Then I'll reply, now do bicycles doing 20 in a 25 or 30 mph zone or in stop and go traffic

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    But apparently, can't call out cyclists behavior.
    For some reason
    Incorrect. The main complaint from this cyclist is the broad brush painting of all cyclists with the bad behavior of a few as well as the painting of all motorists as exhibiting only the best, completely law abiding behavior

You may recall that small groups of skilled, fast cyclists riding single file taking at most 18 inches off the fog line is still not subservient enough for almost every poster in this thread - with the common demand being that the cyclists need to pull off the road and let the motorists by

If you would deliberately risk someones life and limb because they are legally using the roads but not in a way you don't approve of, that's road rage and should be charged accordingly

After we get cycling added to Title IX, we'll add hate crime charges :@ya:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I take it you've never been on a secondary road out west where a group of 30 or 40 motorcycles are sightseeing at 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit and there is no practical way to get by them

Next you'll probably say they aren't really holding me up by being slightly under the speed limit. Then I'll reply, now do bicycles doing 20 in a 25 or 30 mph zone or in stop and go traffic
    I spent half of my years growing up on a farm with that problem, it still has that problem. The State road is narrow, Its hilly, twisty, with only a few cross roads in 7-8+ miles.
    You learn to hate those that are stupid on bicycles. And most are stupid.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    You may recall that small groups of skilled, fast cyclists riding single file taking at most 18 inches off the fog line is still not subservient enough for almost every poster in this thread -
    I've never seen one of these groups in real life.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    7.charlesdarwin.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ok, riddle me this.

Imagine you are on a bicycle at a normal 4 way intersection. The light is red so you can cross in the crosswalk. You can then be on the side of the road you want to be on without the need to cross traffic again (you're crossing the road, then turning right to stay on that side of the road).

Do you: Cross in the crosswalk , turn right, and continue on the sidewalk.

-OR-

Leave the crosswalk, weave between the cars stopped at the red light like a etch-a-sketch cursor drawing a stair case, then pick your bike up onto the sidewalk and continue along?

Is this some sort of cool new trend? Like eating Tide pods or something? WTF would you make it harder on yourself and more dangerous for everyone. Didn't appear drug addled at first glance, but didn't get a solid look at her up close. Just an oddity.

*edit* and, yes, I know bicycles aren't supposed to be on the sidewalk but it's less stupid to be on the sidewalk then in the road in this location.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Were they laughing at you? :)

Top Bottom