• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Bicycles are not slow moving vehicles under the code. They are not permitted to run the slow moving triangle.

Not sure which example you are citing but there are many different riders just as there are shooters. I recently was driving after dark on a city thoroughfare and had to come to a complete stop because a person all dressed in black with no lights or reflective clothing or devices was riding a bike right at me in my lane in a 45 mph zone. Does that apply to all cyclists or just to the gangbanger wannabes that do it. Just like you and I don’t want to be impugned for what gangbanger wannabes do with guns.
    It doesn't matter if bicycles can or do carry the SMV placard. Perhaps it's municipal rather than a state regulation, but slow moving vehicles that impede traffic are supposed to yield.

ETA: the example I'm citing is the one you were replying to.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Bicycles are not going to stop at every intersection, something that requires putting your foot on the ground for most riders, it is a practical hardship on riders and highly inefficient. Recent studies have shown it is not safer. Nine states have passed laws allowing cyclists to treat stop signs as a yield and stop lights as a stop sign. More states will pass this law in the next couple of years.
    Then maybe they don't belong on roads with stop signs at intersections.

I don't care how much of a physical hardship or inefficient it is for cyclists. Blowing through stop signs creates a safety hazard - mostly for the cyclists.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I don't care how much of a physical hardship or inefficient it is for cyclists. Blowing through stop signs creates a safety hazard - mostly for the cyclists.
    I was never a cyclist, but I did ride a bike. That is a bit hyperbolic. If there are obviously no cars at an intersection, a bike going though the intersection without actually stopping is not really a safety hazard for anyone.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I ought to do a study to see how much my truck's fuel economy improves if I start rolling through stop signs. Think of the environmental impact that would have.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I’m on the Nickle Plate almost every week sometime. Usually get some eats in Peru, Denver has a great little diner in town. And Rochester has two great places to eat and easy to ride to from end of trail.

We walk about 4 mi a day, did 12 last Sunday with the kids, I told them we could do the Kokomo to Peru leg which is about 15 miles… although I would probably want a ride home afterwards.

We walk 4 abreast for safety, the bikes really get upset when they can’t pass but we have just as much right as they do to be there, maybe more…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    547147b3-bf2d-48e0-95a4-55f2c81a5526_text.gif
    Lawyers are like the rest of us.

You know you are in the 3%

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    How hard can it be to stay in your lane going uphill @5 mph? Speed limit on the Dragon is 30 mph but most motorcycles and cars are going over that.
    1718205323969.png

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It doesn't matter if bicycles can or do carry the SMV placard. Perhaps it's municipal rather than a state regulation, but slow moving vehicles that impede traffic are supposed to yield.

ETA: the example I'm citing is the one you were replying to.
    Any “yield” is at the cyclists discretion of what is practicable, not the motorists “I’m behind you get out of the way” but I do not believe that “yield” is state law…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

That is not what studies show. That is why states are changing the laws, albeit slowly, but even Indiana has already adopted the red light is a stop for cyclists.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We walk about 4 mi a day, did 12 last Sunday with the kids, I told them we could do the Kokomo to Peru leg which is about 15 miles… although I would probably want a ride home afterwards.

We walk 4 abreast for safety, the bikes really get upset when they can’t pass but we have just as much right as they do to be there, maybe more…

Well, the original use of trails was for foot traffic, so I think you're grandfathered in over anything with wheels. Unclear on hoof based traffic...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They did, roundabouts save fuel…
    It takes much effort (fuel/wear and tear on my transmission/brakes) to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. I think we could stave off global catastrophe if we just rolled through them...that is, if no one is also at the intersection.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It takes much effort (fuel/wear and tear on my transmission/brakes) to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. I think we could stave off global catastrophe if we just rolled through them...that is, if no one is also at the intersection.
    And I said they did study it and found your point to be true and that roundabouts allow all drivers to roll through intersections without coming to a complete stop instead of the stop sign.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I was never a cyclist, but I did ride a bike. That is a bit hyperbolic. If there are obviously no cars at an intersection, a bike going though the intersection without actually stopping is not really a safety hazard for anyone.
    Is the same true for cars? If there are obviously no cars at an intersection, is it a safety hazard for a car going through the intersection without actually stopping?

And is this even a logical line of argumentation? Either cyclists have to obey the laws of the road, or they do not.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Any “yield” is at the cyclists discretion of what is practicable, not the motorists “I’m behind you get out of the way” but I do not believe that “yield” is state law…
    Practicable and safe, yes. I wouldn't suggest otherwise. And I did already say that I believe such traffic regulations are municipal rather than state.

Top Bottom