• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    There are several legal reasons for the cyclist to be there, many you as a car driver may not see or be aware of. At the end of the day it is the cars responsibility not to hit other road users. It is sad we are at a point in society that some celebrate that drivers are so uncaring that other users are afraid to use the roads...
    What is really sad is that some are so entitled, and so unwilling to take responsibility for their own poor choices that they not only put themselves and others at risk, they revel in doing so. That attitude and that type of behavior is exactly why so many feel the way they do toward cyclists.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What is really sad is that some are so entitled, and so unwilling to take responsibility for their own poor choices that they not only put themselves and others at risk, they revel in doing so. That attitude and that type of behavior is exactly why so many feel the way they do toward cyclists.
    Who is entitled? A cyclist legally riding on the road or the whining people in this thread that say they shouldn’t be on the roads, threaten harm to them, and complain they delay them a few minutes.

Like I posted before some of you should look in the mirror because you sound just like anti-gunners. Here, let’s change this and see how it sounds.

What is really sad is that some are so entitled, and so unwilling to take responsibility for their own poor choices that they not only put themselves and others at risk, they revel in doing so. That attitude and that type of behavior is exactly why so many feel the way they do toward gun owners.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Who is entitled? A cyclist legally riding on the road or the whining people in this thread that say they shouldn’t be on the roads, threaten harm to them, and complain they delay them a few minutes.

Like I posted before some of you should look in the mirror because you sound just like anti-gunners. Here, let’s change this and see how it sounds.
    I stopped reading with...
    Because by and large you all just can't ride within the law.

Endless tens of thousands of video hours prove your dead wrong.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Legally riding on the road, yes.

But also, in this example (holding up a line of 12 vehicles), unlawfully failing to yield to traffic as a slow-moving vehicle.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Legally riding on the road, yes.

But also, in this example (holding up a line of 12 vehicles), unlawfully failing to yield to traffic as a slow-moving vehicle.
    Bicycles are not slow moving vehicles under the code. They are not permitted to run the slow moving triangle.

Not sure which example you are citing but there are many different riders just as there are shooters. I recently was driving after dark on a city thoroughfare and had to come to a complete stop because a person all dressed in black with no lights or reflective clothing or devices was riding a bike right at me in my lane in a 45 mph zone. Does that apply to all cyclists or just to the gangbanger wannabes that do it. Just like you and I don’t want to be impugned for what gangbanger wannabes do with guns.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

And if I followed you on your easy rider bikes, I would see you complete a foot down stop at every stop sign?

How do you feel about those that roll coal on motorcycles?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Bicycles are not going to stop at every intersection, something that requires putting your foot on the ground for most riders, it is a practical hardship on riders and highly inefficient. Recent studies have shown it is not safer. Nine states have passed laws allowing cyclists to treat stop signs as a yield and stop lights as a stop sign. More states will pass this law in the next couple of years.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I don't mind the yield/stop which you are suggesting other states are now allowing. I think it makes sense.

I'm sure you would agree that some cyclists give the body of cyclists a bad name - I know I see my fair share of cyclists who don't yield/stop at all for a 4-way stop. Or they will lane split at a backed up intersection. Both actions are unsafe for them to do.

The only time I get irritated is when there might be a group of cyclists who are riding 2-4 abreast of each other taking up the entire lane and traffic is backing up behind them. I just don't understand them not getting single file and letting traffic by. However, I would never purposely try to injure one of them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't mind the yield/stop which you are suggesting other states are now allowing. I think it makes sense.
    It really does. If the law was followed to the T, 40 cyclists would each need to stop, then go when clear, motorists cannot pass at a stop sign in most cases.

I'm sure you would agree that some cyclists give the body of cyclists a bad name
    Absolutely! Just like bad gun owners give the body of gun owners a bad name. I posted about one I recently encountered.

- I know I see my fair share of cyclists who don't yield/stop at all for a 4-way stop.

Most cyclists I know define yield as prepared to stop if necessary. They may not slow much but they do not travel at motor vehicle speeds so they don’t need to slow as much to be able to stop if necessary. I sometimes think motorists define yield as almost stopping.

Or they will lane split at a backed up intersection. Both actions are unsafe for them to do.
    Not sure what you are describing?

The only time I get irritated is when there might be a group of cyclists who are riding 2-4 abreast of each other taking up the entire lane and traffic is backing up behind them. I just don't understand them not getting single file and letting traffic by. However, I would never purposely try to injure one of them.
    This is a dilemma and no matter how cyclists do it some motorists are not happy. Let’s say we have a rural road that is ten feet wide. Most cars and the bicyclist + three feet are not able to share the lane, therefore the motorists must use at least some of the oncoming lane to pass. Would you rather pass 40 bikes single file, 20 bikes two abreast or ten bikes four abreast? The four abreast is the quickest and easiest to achieve. Additionally four abreast are likely skilled riders that can go significantly faster in a pack than all strung out, though wind conditions may vary. Four bikes four abreast are just wrong, that is a touring or race group technique generally.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    And if I followed you on your easy rider bikes, I would see you complete a foot down stop at every stop sign?

How do you feel about those that roll coal on motorcycles?
    The last time I earned a ticket was 1978, I tend to play with vintage motorcycles. And yes, I do that right foot down at each stop sign. It takes a bit of work to get some of them back into first gear at times.
    And if I'm ever in the situation that I'm being held up by a bunch of costumed motorcyclist's and I'm in the dually you ask?
    I'm gonna roll the coal hard... Ive had plenty of aholes on bicycles hold me up and laugh about it between themselves over my life, but I have never been held up and laughed at with any single, group, gang, gaggle or tribe of motorcycles since I started driving in 1974.

Do bicyclists by and large carry insurance on their own, in case of they hit and damage property or a person?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Ive had plenty of aholes on bicycles hold me up and laugh about it between themselves over my life, but I have never been held up and laughed at with any single, group, gang, gaggle or tribe of motorcycles since I started driving in 1974.
    If this happens often maybe they are not the problem…

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

And this is what this thread is about.
    The bad ones.
    That make others look bad.

And yes, we call out bad behavior on gunner behavior.
    We have threads on gun shops, shop customers, range officers, range customers, homeowners, offensive gun use, holsters not used, police officers, civilians, military, etc.

But apparently, can't call out cyclists behavior.
    For some reason

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If this happens often maybe they are not the problem…
    I'm pretty certain that with my decades of driving along with owning property that that butts up to a State rd [ 50 mph with zero shoulder] that for miles one can't pass any slow moving bicycle on that road its the bicyclists that are the problem. Not the ones with motors or engines on or in them.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    20240611_114651.jpg
    Beautiful ride today on the Nickel Plate trail from Rochester to Denver and back. Thirty-three miles total. Very little traffic in the town of Denver, IN.

Met a guy who drove down from Michigan to ride the NPT. Indiana is blessed to have many rail/trails in various parts of the state. Wish there were more trails that connected most of the small towns in Indiana.

Top Bottom