• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    While i personally take offense at the "fanboy" designation, I do love shooting 9mm. It's a very versatile round and loads are available for easy plinking to heavy duty defense. In a fullsize pistol like a S&W 59 or a Beretta 92, it's a downright joy to shoot. Doesn't hurt that it's cheap and in these economic times we're all trying to get the best bang for our buck.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Oh, I also forgot to mention that folks who feel the need to carry big bullets are only compensating for small penises.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I don't think anyone's posted this picture today, so here you go:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Misc_Images/DocGKR/Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Many modern HP bullets chambered in duty loads perform about the same - as they are designed to. Yes, there are some differences in things like barrier penetration, most noticeably when comparing loads on opposite ends of the spectrum like a .357 SIG at 1,400 fps to a .45 ACP at 830 fps, but nothing to get worked up over for most uses.

Given this, many people like the lower cost, higher capacity, and smaller guns that the 9mm cartridge allows. Objectively, from past polls that have been done 9mm, 40 S&W, and .45 acp seem to be split pretty evenly here on INGO (although 40 has consistently come in 3rd).

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have carried .38, 9mm, .40 and .45. Given this pic, I just don't see that much difference:

Handgun_gel_comparison_resized.jpg

You want a one stop round, go 12 gague:

explode.gif

Remember, a pistol is for fighting your way back to your longgun which you should have never put down.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I carry a G27. Identical in every way with the G26. The only difference being the barrel and the mag. Why not carry a bigger round in the same size frame and slide?

Bastispah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Morristown IN
    I don't mean for my title to be an insult, but I have noticed that the 9mm round seems to be the most popular choice of ammunition at this forum. Why?
    To me it's not much larger than a .380, but considerably smaller than a .40. It's not even comparable to a .45.

It's sort like carrying a .38 Special instead of a .357 Magnum.

I own a .38, .357, .380, 9 mm, .40, and a .45, but I carry my .40 because it is a semi-auto and I feel it has the most stopping power for it's size.

Just curious as to what everyone sees in their 9mm carry. :dunno:

A 9mm is more powerful than a .38 special even +p. Dont believe me wikipedia it and check out the muzzle velocity/impact energy numbers.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I carry a G27. Identical in every way with the G26. The only difference being the barrel and the mag. Why not carry a bigger round in the same size frame and slide?

You lose one round for (IMVHO) very marginal ballistic gain when comparing .40SW (490 ft lb) to 9mm +P (410 ft lb) with Speer Gold Dots. The short barrel Gold Dot ammo is even more interesting as the 9mm +P produces 364 ft lb and the .40SW produces 361 ft lb of energy. You lose energy and capacity there. At the advantage of one-half one-tenth of an inch bullet diameter? I see no overwhelming upside.

Top Bottom