• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yes, there are a lot of 9mm fans out there...for many good reasons, cost, availability, improved ballistics, the list goes on and on...and they're right.

I, however, grew up with revolvers. I like semi-autos and have owned .45's, .40's, (my wife's G-26), .380's, etc... However, I prefer a small revolver and have a Ruger SP101 in .357 and a Ruger LCR in .38 +P.

You're correct in stating that a 9mm is not much bigger than a .380...it's only 2mm longer in the casing and carrys a slightly larger (heavier grain) bullet. However, those 2mm have an increased pressure sufficient to crack a .380 frame if you try to upgrade to a 9mm (as it did with the Beretta Model 84 Cheetah).

If you read up on ballistics, the .38 +P, while slower in speed than a 9mm, can and will actually penetrate deeper...making it a viable round. Plus, as stated elsewhere, it has less flash and a faster f/u 2nd shot.

I will admit that I've gotten rid of my .380's...and my wife carry's a .38 +P instead of a 9mm...but we still have the semi-autos for at home.

If you read up on some of the big cities coroner's reports online, the difference they are seeing in their shooting deaths (gang banger's shootings) they can predict whether it's a 9mm/.380 round (8-9+ holes with body movement after being shot) vs. .40 (2-3 shots and very little body movement) vs. .357 or .45 (1, sometimes 2 shots...with no or very little body movement after being shot). But, according to them the 'mutiple shots' usually came from another gang member (spray-n-pray method) whereas the 1 or 2 shots from a heavier caliber were typically from a trained individual who only needed to fire 1 or 2 shots.

In Fort Wayne, the last couple of 'bad guys' the cops shot were shot with 9mm rounds...and it did the trick. Of course, when the bad guys are pointing a gun at the cop, what does the bad guy expect? This ain't tiddly-winks!

"Well, are you boys going to draw those pistols or stand there and whistle dixie?" ~ THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I just don't understand how you guys don't carry the ultimate man stopper that is .45:rolleyes: but seriously;) why with modern ballistic tech would I limit myself to 8 or so rounds in a pistol when I can carry 15-17 and do it cheaper at that with more control. on a side note I'm trying to get burl to drop his .45 in gravel.:laugh:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The last 45acp I reloaded with lead cost me about $4 per 50. Even buying fmj bullets, primers and powder, it will still only cost me $7-8 per 50 at todays prices. I can't fathom paying $10+ for a box of ammo.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I have not read the entire thread.

I choose to carry the .45acp at this point in my life, but I was carrying the 9mm for 10 years.

.38spl+P, 9mm, .40, .45acp, etc and the variants thereof are all in the same class for "stopping power." .38spl standard pressure is on the edge, .38spl wadcutter and .380 anything, on down, are minor stoppers best suited for deep concealment or backup roles.

Though I do carry a .45, I would go to a 9mm Browning Hi-Power in a heartbeat.

It's the package, not the caliber, when it comes to anything .38spl+P and above.

Josh

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I don't mean for my title to be an insult, but I have noticed that the 9mm round seems to be the most popular choice of ammunition at this forum. Why?
    To me it's not much larger than a .380, but considerably smaller than a .40. It's not even comparable to a .45.

It's sort like carrying a .38 Special instead of a .357 Magnum.

I own a .38, .357, .380, 9 mm, .40, and a .45, but I carry my .40 because it is a semi-auto and I feel it has the most stopping power for it's size :dunno:
    By your math, I'd figure you carried a 10mm!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Hellinois
    I have always been partial to a .40s&w. I think it's the most superior round for several reasons. But I also appreciate the economic benefit of a 9mm, cheap to shoot and can get the job done. Now I'm falling in love with 1911's and .45 ammo subsequently lol. Thankfully I'm not a range hound so I can get a box or two and have it around the house/make it last. Maybe hit the range once every 2 months or something.

I have heard 1911's don't like cheap ammo though so that might be a deciding factor. If I can spend 700$ on a bitone XDm and then $25 for 50 rounds after that. Or similar money on a Taurus 1911 but have to spend double the money or more for good ball rounds then a polymer frame 9mm might get the edge.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Cost...

Capacity...

Availability...

Typically less felt recoil...

Easier follow up shots...

Cost...

Modern cartridges avail themselves just fine...

Compact and Sub-compact firearms chambered in 9mm tend to be smaller than a compact / sub-compact in .45... (on average, anyway)

Can be easier those who are new to shooting...

Oh, and it may not be "that much larger" than the .380acp, but in +p loadings, the chamber pressure of the 9mm is closing in on being double that of the .380.

:+1:

Nothing to add to that...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm a .40 guy myself, but I do have a 9mm for a backup/slash range gun. I will be getting another 9mm soon. The ammo is cheaper for one. I can get it localy for $11.99 a box. Which means more range time. The recoil is softer, which allows for faster follow up shots. Acording to fidings online, a 147 grain 9mm well have basicly the same penetration as a 180 grain .40. I pick those numbers, because that's the loads I use for SD. They do have a higher cpacity, but I still say shot placement in my eyes is more important then how many rounds you have. Now for military, and police it's a diffferent story. They are much more likely to be engaged in a shoot out, then a civilian.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    When I was living Los Angeles, a good friend of mine worked for the County Morgue. He told me a majority of homicide were killed by 9mm, and some 45ACP and then some 38 caliber. In my old job, I carried a Sig P226 or they called it the M11 back then in 9mm. Easy to control the recoil for the following up shots if needed.

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    If the United States Military feels like its a good round to use, I'll agree. I doubt I know more than they do.

swbster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    For me the 9mm ammo is cheaper, the 16 round clip means one clip is plenty and prior military experience. Nothing against the others and when money allows, the collection will follow.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    33585.jpg
    33585.jpg

:)

Top Bottom