• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    It was almost torture reading 8 pages of this stuff................everybody keep posting!!!! I just ordered a pizza and I have another bottle of wine:rockwoot:

G19 is my carry......Kel-Tec p3at 380! is my back-up:)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Oh, I also forgot to mention that folks who feel the need to carry big bullets are only compensating for small penises.

Here Joe, let me show you my every day carry........
    mini_gun.jpg

:laugh:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You lose one round for (IMVHO) very marginal ballistic gain when comparing .40SW (490 ft lb) to 9mm +P (410 ft lb) with Speer Gold Dots. The short barrel Gold Dot ammo is even more interesting as the 9mm +P produces 364 ft lb and the .40SW produces 361 ft lb of energy. You lose energy and capacity there. At the advantage of one-half one-tenth of an inch bullet diameter? I see no overwhelming upside.

It all depends on your ammo choice. Especially with 45 acp. If you look at the factory specs on 45, a lot of it is sup 400 ft lbs in muzzle energy.

I reload all of my ammo so factory specs aren't much of a concern to me. It would be interesting to see if you could find any reloading manuals that would replicate 9mm +p specs.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I have little use for the 9MM but "to each his own". As long as I don't buy your guns or ammo then I don't care. :rockwoot:

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I carry .40, but I have found most of the information in this thread very educational. I too, have often wondered why 9mm had such a following. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle YO INGO !!!:ar15:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I carry .40, but I have found most of the information in this thread very educational. I too, have often wondered why 9mm had such a following. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle YO INGO !!!:ar15:
    Just be careful how you word it...

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I personally lean towards toward a larger caliber traditionally (45 acp) for carry but have never felt undergunned or underpowered by carrying a 9mm either , .The 9 mm is by far the most popular pistol caliber on the planet (cant remember where I read it probably american rifleman) Shot placement on the part of the shooter and familiarity,reliability & control of a handgun is the key to a having a good carry piece .Just my :twocents:'s

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just curious as to what everyone sees in their 9mm carry. :dunno:

Mine is SS, fits in my hip pocket, it's thinner, and doesn't have sharp corners on every edge like my 45 the same size does. Now I've been just carrying it in a holster on my hip a lot lately and the 45 fits in the same holster so I've been carrying it.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I like 9 mm and the platform that launches it.

Let me know when you stop somebody with your .40 after I fail to stop someone with my 9 mm.

P.S. I like .40 S&W, but I prefer nine millimeter.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Flat shooting loads are easy to aclimate any weapon to. And modern shooters aclimate better, too.

Big strong Americans of two generations ago made the .45 acp. It's my heartthrob round and pistol (1911). I'm a sucker for romance.

But 9mm para is easy.

Easy like a sunday morning.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Fair enough. The answers are always going to be the same:

9mm: good capacity, low cost, fun to shoot
    .380: too expensive and hard to find
    .40: a little more expensive and snappy (not as fun to shoot for some)
    .45: more expensive, lower capacity

I have carry guns in all of those except .40 (nothing against it though).

I carry 15 rounds of .45 in my side arm. If I wanted to I could cough up 35 dollars and carry 16 rounds of it. I really don't see how 45 is more expensive than 9mm. I always hate when people use personal defense ammo in a cost argument so I'm not going to do it. I picked up 10 boxes of 50 45acp fmj for target use for 11.99 a box. Name brand ammo too. Walmart generally has boxes of 100 wwb/umc for 32.99 and it's only slightly more than 9mm.

Top Bottom