• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's keeping you away from Appleseed?

• Total voters

DHolder

Expert
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    If you question what earning a riflemans patch means to someone who has, look at the thread in the Appleseed section " Riflemen" by Jsharmon. This thread is stories of when and how we earned our patch, and why some become so dedicated to it.
    I must say, I have worked with many, many shooters, and I have had more fun teaching and helping than money could ever compensate.
    Last week, I had the privelage of taking my daughter to a "seed". I had complete confidence that any instructor on the line could teach her as well as I, and I knew her saftey was paramount, and she would enjoy herself as well. Many families attend and women and children often make the best shooters.
    If you haven't attended a "seed" I encourage you to, our founding fathers would want you to. Don

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If you question what earning a riflemans patch means to someone who has, look at the thread in the Appleseed section " Riflemen" by Jsharmon. This thread is stories of when and how we earned our patch, and why some become so dedicated to it.

I am not questioning what the patch means to you guys...
    When I earned the title of Rifleman 20 years ago I got a Blue Cord... :D

I doubt there is a lot I would be able to learn from an Appleseed Event myself personally. That and I have way to many bad habits that you definitely don't want to have demonstrated or taught in front of others... ;)

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Can't tell too much from "MSG2", but IIRC, that's the Indy area. We shoot at Cloverdale for a full 'seed or a mini just about every month. We'd ideally like to have a range we can use at least a couple of times a year within an hour's drive of anyone in the state. We're not quite there yet, so if you know of some land and would like to see us near you, get in touch with Hawkhavn or Techres and we'll see about getting a shoot up and running there.

Blessings,
    Bill

I sent you an IM asking if you guys have ever tried to get a shoot at Wilbur Wright in New Castle but never heard back from you. Anybody ever tried there? They have a 25 and a 50 yard range so you could use both at the same time.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I sent you an IM asking if you guys have ever tried to get a shoot at Wilbur Wright in New Castle but never heard back from you. Anybody ever tried there? They have a 25 and a 50 yard range so you could use both at the same time.

I never saw any message, but I've seen this one now and forwarded it up the line. Where we have and have not is above my pay grade. :):

You should have an answer shortly, and thank you!

Blessings,
    Bill

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008

To my knowledge we have not. Let me pass this on to YellowHouseJake, he is our range man and will know what is up.

Thanks!

Techres

P.S. Jeremy, we have military come and learn. They also come and are great examples too!

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    POC, I won't let the cat out of the bag yet, but we will have at least one new range pretty close to you... HH

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What's keeping me away from Appleseed? Well, honestly, this is really the first time I've started to read about it. I've heard about it on here, but never really looked into it til now. I also have questions about it. But I'm hoping to get them answered as I read along.
    Some of them are:
    What caliber rifles do the majority use?
    What kind of rifle do they use?
    Where are the upcoming Appleseeds held?
    What kind of equipment is required for an Appleseed?

Like I said, I JUST started reading about it. So I know these are probably questions you all get tired of being asked, but, as you well know, it is me.:D

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    And here I was gonna offer to host some on MY property....

I would be the one to talk to about that. I am in the middle of checking out nine new ranges, wanna make it ten?

We need adequate parking, a solid safe berm, and a clear overshoot area. I can evaluate your range in less than thirty minutes and know if our insurance will allow us to host an Appleseed there.

YHJ (Dave Goodrich)
    inpromo@rwva.org

Bubba

Expert
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Short, short version, based on my personal observations. :
    Some of them are:
    What caliber rifles do the majority use? .22 caliber is the most popular, mostly on the basis of economics. You can shoot just about any rifle (barring any restrictions the range might impose). The round count for a full weekend is around 500. If you have a .308, 8mm, or 6.5 Grendal and 500 rounds burning a hole in your safe, go ahead and bring 'em.
    What kind of rifle do they use? 10/22 is the rifle I've seen most, in configurations from factory stock to bench queens. The Marlin 795 is making inroads as well, due to it's low price. I've also seen a few tube-feds and ARs out there, so run what you got.
    Where are the upcoming Appleseeds held? There's one at Cloverdale this month, and a huge shoot at Waterman, IL in September.
    What kind of equipment is required for an Appleseed? The absolute minimum would be a reliable rifle with ammo, a sling (preferably GI type), minimum 2 magazines, eye & ear protection. I would strongly suggest a mat to shoot from, extra mags, stapler, pen and paper (for making notes about sight adjustments, no full page note taking here), sunblock, hydrating beverages, and a sack lunch.

Like I said, I JUST started reading about it. So I know these are probably questions you all get tired of being asked, but, as you well know, it is me.:D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Short, short version, based on my personal observations. :
    Some of them are:
    What caliber rifles do the majority use? .22 caliber is the most popular, mostly on the basis of economics. You can shoot just about any rifle (barring any restrictions the range might impose). The round count for a full weekend is around 500. If you have a .308, 8mm, or 6.5 Grendal and 500 rounds burning a hole in your safe, go ahead and bring 'em.
    What kind of rifle do they use? 10/22 is the rifle I've seen most, in configurations from factory stock to bench queens. The Marlin 795 is making inroads as well, due to it's low price. I've also seen a few tube-feds and ARs out there, so run what you got.
    Where are the upcoming Appleseeds held? There's one at Cloverdale this month, and a huge shoot at Waterman, IL in September.
    What kind of equipment is required for an Appleseed? The absolute minimum would be a reliable rifle with ammo, a sling (preferably GI type), minimum 2 magazines, eye & ear protection. I would strongly suggest a mat to shoot from, extra mags, stapler, pen and paper (for making notes about sight adjustments, no full page note taking here), sunblock, hydrating beverages, and a sack lunch.

Great answers, Bubba.. You only missed one essential to come to an Appleseed: A teachable attitude. You get a pass, though, since that's a mindset, not equipment. :D

LM46147, as I said, Bubba gave you good info here. Keep reading and if you have any questions left afterward, feel free to ask.

There is only one "stupid question", and that is, "Is it loaded?" (because they all are! :thumbsup:)

Blessings,
    Bill

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hi Bill,

As you know, I went to one. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and made Rifleman.

I've been wanting to get back. However, I lost my job due to the census in that nursing home being down, and the one that was supposed to be waiting for me, wasn't. So I'm still looking.

When I was working at that place, I couldn't get the weekend off.

Hopefully things will ease up soon. I really want to get to another.

Josh

Top Bottom