• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's keeping you away from Appleseed?

• Total voters

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You are right, ATM is one scary fellow:D

But only you, Dave, are subliminally frightening. :scared:

USMC_0311,

I asked the original question and you answered it. I've been reading the replies and had nothing better to offer than the answers you're getting. The bare-bones nutshell version is that we are an American heritage organization that happens to have a rifle marksmanship clinic. The not-very-secret-secret is that we use the marksmanship as a "hook" to get people interested. Simply, if all we offered was history, who wants to come sit through a boring history lesson? "I got enough of that in school! No thanks!" How horribly sad that is, but we know that won't attract anyone, so we mention it but we don't go out of our way to emphasize it. Fortunately, the method we use to present it (bite-size chunks, related to something relevant to the shooters' interest) works remarkably well, and I've yet to have anyone call our history presentation boring.

I've presented the "no one's shot a 'possible' on the AQT yet" point, but it's neither a cheap trumped-up challenge nor a goad, just the facts, to the best of my knowledge. I've seen some da*n fine shooters, but I'm not aware of any perfect 250s. (best I heard of was 246, but I think there was some question on that one's scoring. Lafayette, 4/18/2009)

As YHJ said, shooting costs, history's free. Come listen. You may learn nothing, which would surprise me, but either way, we'd love to have you there.

I look forward to hopefully meeting you at a shoot.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Help us teach millions how to shoot, where they come from, and why marksmanship is so important to our culture. :patriot:

YHJ

LOL...
    I have been teaching History and Marksmanship for 2 decades all ready...
    Can't say I have taught Millions. I can Definitely say I have influenced Hundreds to become better Americans though...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I don't care WHO trained you in marksmanship. Special Forces, Mossad, CIA, ISP. Appleseed can teach you SOMETHING if you're willing to let them.

Lol...
    Really?! That is an awfully bold claim to make there...
    Sure you would like to add a caveat or make a retraction to that statement?!

I find your attitude insulting to my Honor, my Heritage, and my Intelligence. I know for a fact what my family done during the Revolution. As a matter of fact I know what my Family has done for this Nation and the cost WE have personally paid as a Family for this Country since the French and Indian Wars...
    Can you make that claim?! If not then be careful of your condescending tone of your remarks please...
    Some of the People on this site may have a Family that cares to inform the Children of what the Costs of Freedom are, instead of relying on the Public to raise them...

If you personally would like to put your money were you mouth is, come to my range and lets put your "skills" to the test... Hope you can afford the Air Fare...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Lol...
    Really?! That is an awfully bold claim to make there...
    Sure you would like to add a caveat or make a retraction to that statement?!

I find your attitude insulting to my Honor, my Heritage, and my Intelligence. I know for a fact what my family done during the Revolution. As a matter of fact I know what my Family has done for this Nation and the cost WE have personally paid as a Family for this Country since the French and Indian Wars...
    Can you make that claim?! If not then be careful of your condescending tone of your remarks please...
    Some of the People on this site may have a Family that cares to inform the Children of what the Costs of Freedom are, instead of relying on the Public to raise them...

If you personally would like to put your money were you mouth is, come to my range and lets put your "skills" to the test... Hope you can afford the Air Fare...

Jeremy,

I'm not going to either distance from nor embrace rimfire_crazed's comment and the reason why is at least twofold, probably more. First, our program tends to get people fired up and this is a good thing. We need every American we can get (note that the differentiation between "US citizen" and "American" is mine personally, not Appleseed's) It's not uncommon for someone to come to a shoot and realize everything they have not been taught, everything that's been deliberately withheld from them, and feel some resentment at the fact. I know I did. I rather expect most of our instructors would tell similar stories, and I'd not be at all surprised if you could tell a few like that yourself about the pride you felt when you first put on that uniform, when you graduated boot, got your first assignment, etc.
    Second, he said that we could teach you (generic you) something. I'd consider that some of the things learned come from within, not from our program, though that we are a catalyst is not something I'd argue at all.

You took his tone as condescension. I did not. I took it as enthusiasm. What you're doing there is probably not pleasant and you might have other places you'd prefer to be, but duty holds strong for you.
    Duty holds strong for me, too, in a different way. Mine is not nearly as demanding as yours is, nor are there methods in place to force me to hold to mine even if I change my mind. My duty is to the Founders, but at the same time, it's to tomorrow's Americans. If the latter are to know WHY you're risking life and limb in the devil's sandbox, what ideals gave you the knowledge that that's where you belong, then men, women, and children need to learn what the former, our Founders, knew needed to be taught. They aren't here to do it themselves, so that duty falls to us.

May there be a day when all Americans are so well-prepared for battle that none of our enemies dare test us. May there be a day when soldiers have no need to risk not coming home. Until that day, we'll be teaching and you'll be protecting... and that's something I learned because Appleseed showed me that there was something that needed taught.

God bless,
    Bill

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Jeremy,

I'm not going to either distance from nor embrace rimfire_crazed's comment and the reason why is at least twofold, probably more. First, our program tends to get people fired up and this is a good thing. We need every American we can get (note that the differentiation between "US citizen" and "American" is mine personally, not Appleseed's) It's not uncommon for someone to come to a shoot and realize everything they have not been taught, everything that's been deliberately withheld from them, and feel some resentment at the fact. I know I did. I rather expect most of our instructors would tell similar stories, and I'd not be at all surprised if you could tell a few like that yourself about the pride you felt when you first put on that uniform, when you graduated boot, got your first assignment, etc.
    Second, he said that we could teach you (generic you) something. I'd consider that some of the things learned come from within, not from our program, though that we are a catalyst is not something I'd argue at all.

You took his tone as condescension. I did not. I took it as enthusiasm. What you're doing there is probably not pleasant and you might have other places you'd prefer to be, but duty holds strong for you.
    Duty holds strong for me, too, in a different way. Mine is not nearly as demanding as yours is, nor are there methods in place to force me to hold to mine even if I change my mind. My duty is to the Founders, but at the same time, it's to tomorrow's Americans. If the latter are to know WHY you're risking life and limb in the devil's sandbox, what ideals gave you the knowledge that that's where you belong, then men, women, and children need to learn what the former, our Founders, knew needed to be taught. They aren't here to do it themselves, so that duty falls to us.

May there be a day when all Americans are so well-prepared for battle that none of our enemies dare test us. May there be a day when soldiers have no need to risk not coming home. Until that day, we'll be teaching and you'll be protecting... and that's something I learned because Appleseed showed me that there was something that needed taught.

God bless,
    Bill
    Bill I understand the intent of your program. I, believe it or not, feel it is a great way to get to the Citizens of this Country and make them better Americans. Really, I wish you guys the best of Luck at your venture.

I take great Pride in the fact that I am an NCO. I am the Army, I am what trains future Soldiers to be what they are. My expectation at the range from my Soldiers is a tough bar to meet, let alone excel over. 1” inch groups at 25 meters, which is what it takes to get out of Basic/Boot. Any Soldier should be able to do that. With iron sights and the use of their slings is cheating. I spend a lot of time training Troops to be better Soldiers. Not just on the finer points of marksmanship, but on what the history of the Nation, the Army, and the Unit is.

I can agree with the condescension part, kind of, up until that last line…
    I took that as an affront, a challenge of how much more superior he is than those of us who do this for a livelihood are. I understand the Pride one receives when they qual for the patch and term of being a Rifleman at an Appleseed. I however do not think that makes you any damn better than I, just as I do not think my Service makes me any damn better than someone who has never served…

America will always have Wars…
    One of the reasons that I think you guys are doing a great job at what you are doing. Just some need a reality/attitude check…

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bill I understand the intent of your program. I, believe it or not, feel it is a great way to get to the Citizens of this Country and make them better Americans. Really, I wish you guys the best of Luck at your venture.

I take great Pride in the fact that I am an NCO. I am the Army, I am what trains future Soldiers to be what they are. My expectation at the range from my Soldiers is a tough bar to meet, let alone excel over. 1” inch groups at 25 meters, which is what it takes to get out of Basic/Boot. Any Soldier should be able to do that. With iron sights and the use of their slings is cheating. I spend a lot of time training Troops to be better Soldiers. Not just on the finer points of marksmanship, but on what the history of the Nation, the Army, and the Unit is.

I can agree with the condescension part, kind of, up until that last line…
    I took that as an affront, a challenge of how much more superior he is than those of us who do this for a livelihood are. I understand the Pride one receives when they qual for the patch and term of being a Rifleman at an Appleseed. I however do not think that makes you any damn better than I, just as I do not think my Service makes me any damn better than someone who has never served…

America will always have Wars…
    One of the reasons that I think you guys are doing a great job at what you are doing. Just some need a reality/attitude check…

I can go with that. What makes someone "better", for lack of a better word is that he or she gets up off the couch and DOES something, gets involved, doesn't just let everyone else make all the decisions that affect his/her life, IMHO, and it's not that it makes him/her better than everyone else, it's that it makes him/her better than s/he was before.

Appleseed is not a competition any more than it's my understanding the military is. You're not in a race against anyone else... just yourself. Isn't that what "Be all you can be." was all about?

Have a great day and take care.

Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bill, just signed up myself and nephew for the Sept. 18-19 shoot in Bedford.

Great! Good for you both! Take a few minutes each night to take up a prone position and a sitting position on your living room floor. Get yourself used to taking that position and you will likely be glad you did when you're at the shoot. Take a look at the positions in the stickied post at the top of the category if you don't already know what a good sitting or prone position looks like.

If you're not used to them, they're not comfortable. YHJ says he's been known to lie down and watch TV in prone, though ;)

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I wouldn't mind making it to an event---I have an avid interest in all things history-related. Joining the ranks of the unemployed has left me with an interesting dilemma: I finally have some free-time...but no rifle or spare money now. Catch-22 if you will. If things turn around I'd like to make an event. Thanks for posting this thread.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I wouldn't mind making it to an event---I have an avid interest in all things history-related. Joining the ranks of the unemployed has left me with an interesting dilemma: I finally have some free-time...but no rifle or spare money now. Catch-22 if you will. If things turn around I'd like to make an event. Thanks for posting this thread.

Sorry to hear about the job situation. As you've seen in the thread and maybe elsewhere, we have rifles for loan as long as we know in advance. If you find a way to get there and let me know in advance, you may borrow either of my 10/22s for the duration of the event. I can't do much else besides wish you well in the locating of a new job.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom