• Status
    Not open for further replies.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just because you are buying a 69 Mustang doesn’t mean the owner must sell you the original factory wheels.
    Still not a valid comparison, you can source a part. You can't work around a restriction that says you can only drive it on Sundays. Secondarily even that isn't a valid comparison, you aren't living in the car, you're spending nearly all of your non-working time (and now days even your working time) under whatever restrictions the developer has placed on your home/property. And we're also still back to "You want to take away seller rights." Yes, yes we do. It's an ability that should not exist on detached single family homes not matter how big the lot sizes are.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Too many pages to catch up on. But I'll opine on my experiences with HOAs.

I have no problem with the concept. Neighborhoods want to maintain a certain aesthetic, and so everyone agrees to keep up a certain set of standards of housing. No issue.

The application, in my particular HOA, is less than ideal. Essentially you have a bitter group of old people (first homeowners in the neighborhood) who don't like many of the newer (buying homes of first owners) generation.
    So what you wind up having is rules that are very selectively enforced, meetings where law enforcement is called to prevent people from attending, and nasty anonymous notes (signed - HOA) on cars and mailboxes.
    Our HOA has literally sued people who didn't comply with their selective enforcement. One lawsuit ended in favor of the homeowner, one is pending.
    It's a fairly contentious issue here. I'm among a party of newer homeowners working to end the HOA, or at least bankrupt it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Still not a valid comparison, you can source a part. You can't work around a restriction that says you can only drive it on Sundays. Secondarily even that isn't a valid comparison, you aren't living in the car, you're spending nearly all of your non-working time (and now days even your working time) under whatever restrictions the developer has placed on your home/property. And we're also still back to "You want to take away seller rights." Yes, yes we do. It's an ability that should not exist on detached single family homes not matter how big the lot sizes are.
    Would it be illegal to sell you a car that our contract says you can only drive it on Sunday? Seems silly, but I could see a guy that loves his car selling it with a contract that it only be a museum piece, not a daily driver. After the creator of the contract or deed restrictions is gone, standing to enforce gets more difficult.

I suspect that if a guy in Monroe county sued a guy random guy in Lake county for failing to follow the deed restrictions the Monroe county guy would not have standing to sue. Where as the neighbor of the Lake county guy may have standing.

Thanks for the confirmation that requiring sellers sell the complete bundle does take seller rights. This means that the buyer getting the complete bundle is more important than the owners rights and the buyers rights to an association that is enduring.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

I have no problem with the concept. Neighborhoods want to maintain a certain aesthetic, and so everyone agrees to keep up a certain set of standards of housing. No issue.

The application, in my particular HOA, is less than ideal. Essentially you have a bitter group of old people (first homeowners in the neighborhood) who don't like many of the newer (buying homes of first owners) generation.
    My first question is usually what do the actual deed restrictions, covenants, and bylaw's say. Typically one is right and the other wrong. What you described is not uncommon, the first generation in a neighborhood built the neighborhood up and created a camaraderie and culture. Many of them lived by a code beyond the written documentation. The new folks bought in when the neighborhood was more mature and often have a different mindset.

So what you wind up having is rules that are very selectively enforced, meetings where law enforcement is called to prevent people from attending, and nasty anonymous notes (signed - HOA) on cars and mailboxes.
    Our HOA has literally sued people who didn't comply with their selective enforcement. One lawsuit ended in favor of the homeowner, one is pending.
    It's a fairly contentious issue here. I'm among a party of newer homeowners working to end the HOA, or at least bankrupt it.
    Sadly, It can be ugly if they cannot figure out how to get along.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just because you are buying a 69 Mustang doesn’t mean the owner must sell you the original factory wheels. Yes, SELFISH reasons that you want what you want like a little kid. You are doing everything but huffing “it ain’t fair”.

The owner has every right to do with the property they wish, sell the mineral rights, air rights, and covenants and restrictions that create an HOA. Heck an owner can do all that on one property.

You are welcome your opinion but it is retarded because it takes owners rights away…
    Well here’s what’s retarded about the mustang analogy of not selling it with the factory wheels. It’s that it is more analogous to not selling land with the mobile home you once lived in. See the difference?

Okay lets stick with the mustang analogy, to make it fit the retarded way you’re justifying HOA’s. You have a mustang and you collude with other people selling mustangs, to sell them under the condition the new owner can never **** in it. That’s closer to your justification for HOA’s. And every bit as retarded.

The new owner, being so desperate to buy a mustang so that he can **** in it, because what else are mustangs good for, but can’t find one unless he agrees agree to not **** in it. Why have a mustang if you can’t **** in it? :):

So the new owner says nah. I’ll just **** in it anyway, because the seller is retarded. The buyer also happens to live in an HOA neighborhood. He mows his grass when he damn well feels like it. Which is usually after he changes the oil on his John Deere riding mower to mow his 0.11 acre lot. And why does he have a John Deere riding mower for a 0.1 acre lot? Because he can. Freedom baby.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So therefore the buyer has no say prior to purchase and can only buy what the seller will sell or move on.
    Again I must remind you that I am making an argument of ought not is. If you want to argue against my position, logically you must make an “ought” counter argument, not an “is” counter argument.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Again I must remind you that I am making an argument of ought not is. If you want to argue against my position, logically you must make an “ought” counter argument, not an “is” counter argument.
    A landowner/seller ought to have every freedom to sell their property as they want without rights grabbers taking their freedoms because of what the grabbers want. Anything else is retarded.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's okay Mike. You can pout about it until I appoint myself GPOTUS. Then, as promised I will allow all the HOA lovers, to live in the same neighborhood in eternal bliss. Y'all can fight it out who is queen bee of the hood. Of course, like I said a while ago, it'll be in the desert. I hope you don't mind.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As benevolent dicktater I vow to allow Mike the choice location in the neighborhood. Which is furthest from the community **** tank.

I'm gonna have to think through the bylaws a bit more, but here's what I have so far.

1. Visitors
      1. Hot female visitors must wear bikinis and carry fishing gear while in the community
      2. Male visitors must be fully clothed and only wear heavy cotton at all times
      3. All visitors under the age of 120 years must register with the queen bee before gaining access to the neighborhood
    2. Yard/home maintenance
      1. Grass height must be maintained at 4 ± 0.125" at all times.
      2. No watering the grass between 12:00AM - 11:55PM
      3. Sand from the desert may not cover the driveway for more than an hour
      4. Can't let your dog **** on someone else's sand "lawn"
      5. Homes must be fabulous; pink siding with purple doors and trim
      6. Every home must display a pride flag
    3. Vehicles/traffic:
      1. No motorcycles.
      2. No vehicles with internal combustion engines; EV's only
      3. Every resident must own a bicycle and wear tights unless you're fat
      4. Bicycle riders have more rights than automobile drivers.
      5. Cars must stay to the right of the road and
    4. Misc
      1. All residents must have at least one Glock chambered in .357 SIG
      2. All residents must have a nose ring and have official association tattoo designed by @printcraft somewhere visible
      3. No private swimming pools; any pools on a resident's property must be open to the public (see 1.1)
      4. No jeeps or other high clearance 4WD vehicles

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Thats what law suits are for. document, document, document, document and then file suit.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    As benevolent dicktater I vow to allow Mike the choice location in the neighborhood. Which is furthest from the community **** tank.

I'm gonna have to think through the bylaws a bit more, but here's what I have so far.

1. Visitors
      1. Hot female visitors must wear bikinis and carry fishing gear while in the community
      2. Male visitors must be fully clothed and only wear heavy cotton at all times
      3. All visitors under the age of 120 years must register with the queen bee before gaining access to the neighborhood
    2. Yard/home maintenance
      1. Grass height must be maintained at 4 ± 0.125" at all times.
      2. No watering the grass between 12:00AM - 11:55PM
      3. Sand from the desert may not cover the driveway for more than an hour
      4. Can't let your dog **** on someone else's sand "lawn"
      5. Homes must be fabulous; pink siding with purple doors and trim
      6. Every home must display a pride flag
    3. Vehicles/traffic:
      1. No motorcycles.
      2. No vehicles with internal combustion engines; EV's only
      3. Every resident must own a bicycle and wear tights unless you're fat
      4. Bicycle riders have more rights than automobile drivers.
      5. Cars must stay to the right of the road and
    4. Misc
      1. All residents must have at least one Glock chambered in .357 SIG
      2. All residents must have a nose ring and have official association tattoo designed by @printcraft somewhere visible
      3. No private swimming pools; any pools on a resident's property must be open to the public (see 1.1)
      4. No jeeps or other high clearance 4WD vehicles
    I get 40 S&W but really, why do you hate 357 Sig?
    And please define "Hot Female"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom