• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Out here where I am, people chose to be out here because there was no HOA. They could build their pole barns and sit around their fire pit without Karens harassing them. But in the suburbs, it's a hobson's choice because most subdivisions have HOA's required by the developer.
    So a bunch of rich people that can afford property so large they can build pole barns doesn’t need an HOA…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I will answer, I'm pretty sure I've answered before. Because they no longer own/have interest in the property. If someone is selling a thing, they are giving up their rights to the thing.
    If they put deed restrictions and covenants in place they still have an interest, those are the interest they retained. Other property owners may also have an interest due to shared association.

A property owner can sell any portion of their rights they wish to and retain any rights they wish. Do you not agree with this statement?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Anyone ever heard of an established neighborhood coming together to form an HOA? Surely if they're so necessary and wonderful no one would want to live without one.
    Yes I have. They wanted to build an attractive entrance to their neighborhood and maintain it so they all voted for it, created the legal entity, funded the project, and paid dues to maintain it. They wanted the nice entrance to compete with the newer neighborhoods that had HOA’s.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Yes I have. They wanted to build an attractive entrance to their neighborhood and maintain it so they all voted for it, created the legal entity, funded the project, and paid dues to maintain it. They wanted the nice entrance to compete with the newer neighborhoods that had HOA’s.
    Did they include restrictions on curtain colors, bird bath placement/height, a prohibition on anything but Teslas parked in the drive and specific dates for installing and removing seasonal decorations?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There a myriad of ways to sell or transfer rights to property beyond the simple complete sale, it is the owners right to use any of these they wish. If you are saying these and other covenants should not be allowed you are restricting the rights of property owners…
    Once I buy something, it is mine. We aren't talking about mineral rights or the air above the ground. We're talking about telling people they cannot park the vehicle they use to get to work every day at their own ****ing house.

You want to slide towards the gentle end of the ********, let's not forget what really gets pissed and moaned about within an HOA.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    HOA’s are not governing bodies. And if you want to limit property owners from being able to sell the rights they wish how they wish you are closer to a communist that even democrats. The fisrt thing communists do is take property rights.
    Which rights? I guess living under an HOA will make the transition easier for those of you already so willing to give things up.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So a bunch of rich people that can afford property so large they can build pole barns doesn’t need an HOA…
    Not everyone with property is rich. Many people inherit property which has been handed down for generations. I know plenty of people with a lot of property but little else. If this was a free country they wouldn't have anything to worry about but....gotta keep buying it every year from the government so they won't steal it.

No one needs an HOA. Humans existed quite well on this planet for a long time before someone decided they had a right to tell others how to mow their lawn.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    HOA’s are not governing bodies. And if you want to limit property owners from being able to sell the rights they wish how they wish you are closer to a communist that even democrats. The fisrt thing communists do is take property rights.
    Non sequitur.

ETA: HOA’s operate as governing bodies in terms of how you can use your property.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe this might cause Mike to understand why the thread isn't going as he might have liked. Or. Idunno. Maybe he enjoys it. This is ideological. This is the ethos of individualism. Don't tread on me level stuff.

There is no value in HOA's that justifies the authoritarian aspect, even if pragmatically, there may be some benefits to HOA's. Some people might want to trade away individual property rights for a community swimming pool.
    Why is trading my right to restore old trucks in the driveway away, something I have no intention of doing, so I don’t have to listen, see, or smell, my neighbors doing it, treading on anyone. If you are a buyer you need to know this is the agreement and if that is something you want to do find a property that allows it. Most people in new subdivisions do not want this activity in their new neighborhood and the vast majority will never miss it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    N
    If they put deed restrictions and covenants in place they still have an interest, those are the interest they retained. Other property owners may also have an interest due to shared association.

A property owner can sell any portion of their rights they wish to and retain any rights they wish. Do you not agree with this statement?
    Nonsense. The developer has no material interest in the development after his responsibility is done.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    T
    Why is trading my right to restore old trucks in the driveway away, something I have no intention of doing, so I don’t have to listen, see, or smell, my neighbors doing it, treading on anyone. If you are a buyer you need to know this is the agreement and if that is something you want to do find a property that allows it. Most people in new subdivisions do not want this activity in their new neighborhood and the vast majority will never miss it.
    Then why do only 14% find HOA’s orgadmic? :dunno: maybe you just like taking up Karen’s side of it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That is completely insane. You haven't "sold" anything at that point. You've gotten someone (also likely insane) to give you money, for what? Nothing. :nuts:
    There are companies that are actually in the business of doing this. Many seniors sell this way to get needed money for things and still get to keep their home until they die. Individuals may buy this way to get a property they want before others can get their hands on it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Once I buy something, it is mine. We aren't talking about mineral rights or the air above the ground. We're talking about telling people they cannot park the vehicle they use to get to work every day at their own ****ing house.

You want to slide towards the gentle end of the ********, let's not forget what really gets pissed and moaned about within an HOA.
    It is all the same legal concepts.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There are companies that are actually in the business of doing this. Many seniors sell this way to get needed money for things and still get to keep their home until they die. Individuals may buy this way to get a property they want before others can get their hands on it.
    Sounds like you're talking about reverse mortgages. Not really the same thing.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Nonsense. The developer has no material interest in the development after his responsibility is done.
    True, but deed restrictions are a thing. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that.
    Then why do only 14% find HOA’s orgadmic? :dunno: maybe you just like taking up Karen’s side of it.
    If that's a true number, why do so many folks bend the knee and join a HOA? If only 14% want to be in it, they should easily have the 70% vote needed by most to change their covenants.
    I’m not rich.
    Neither am I, nor are most on this board (in my estimation). Indiana has some of the MOST affordable housing in the nation, you don't need to be "rich" to afford a home here.

Not the case with real estate. Get familiar with the law. And, read documents before you sign them!

FWIW, no one paid attention to my 2500 pickup (even though the covenants said no to them) as it didn't look like a '3/4 ton work truck...
    Among two large housing additions. Not sure of the total number of homes though.
    Great link, thanks! Most communities aren't doing this. Brownsburg, for example built a splash pad a few years ago but the idiots in town gov't can't seem to keep it operational. If you want a pool, it's build your own or buy in a HOA that has one (or do what I did and have a boat and not use the HOA pool).
    I think the ingo consensus is that you shouldn't be forced into an HOA to follow someone else's rules. There happens to be a pretty large shortage of available housing. Certain sizes/locations the ONLY option is a restrictive HOA. So if one wants to own a house, they must be part of the HOA. Not voluntarily, but forced if they want to own a house. How is forcing anyone to bend to someones idea of house rules not a bad thing?
    There is a housing shortage due in part to interest rates. Many folks can't afford to leave a sub 3% interest rate mortgage to buy a different house at a 6%+ rate, thereby they aren't putting their existing house up for sale and the process continues.

But, yes, most of the newer homes have a HOA. A developer bought the land, built it out and have amenities for the homeowners that the HOA manages. Not very surprised that's the case, but still homes are available without a HOA if that is what one wants...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom