• Status
    Not open for further replies.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I actually did in San Antonio. I lived on a small rectangle of streets that were in the middle of a huge HOA, but not part of it officially. We could opt in, but I think it really only included the use of their pool basically. I never did.
    According to some that was a huge mistake. How did you live with yourself?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    It matters because your claim is that the neighborhoods are popular because they have an HOA. It is entirely possible that they are popular for other reasons and simply HAVE and HOA.
    When did I say it was 100% the only reason they were popular?
    A thread was created so some super smart guys could educate the rest of us dumb dumbs on the benefits of HOAs. When that fails and all of the dumb dumbs refuse to agree with you they're now "triggered". You play word games better than most liberals.

I feel sorry for folks so unable to think for themselves or resolves issues without a babysitter that they welcome any opportunity to allow someone else to take charge so they don't have to. It's a big scary world out there, I get it. Best to have all of the safety and protection one can possibly muster.
    Dude, you lived in a HOA for 15 years as well. If it was that bad living in a HOA, why didn't you move sooner?

No HOA where I am bud, and I listed my reasons previously for why I liked my previous area.

They have their benefits and their downfalls, as do most things in life.

Life is full of choices, choose wisely...
    Lol, guess that one went way over your head.
    Not over my head, but I guess you fell for their marketing and bought/installed it...

Don't forget to change your blinker fluid!
    According to some that was a huge mistake. How did you live with yourself?
    Why would that be a huge mistake? We have the FREEDOM to chose in the USA.

In before someone comes along and says that HOA pool was racist...

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When did I say it was 100% the only reason they were popular?
    You didn't explicitly say it, but it seems implied as you have been telling us how HOAs add value. I was challenging the notion that the HOA is adding the value and not some other variable.
    Choices are great.

My previous neighborhood that had a HOA has plenty of non HOA neighborhoods around it. Larger lots even, with mature trees. Homes not that much older, in the non HOA neighborhoods.

Yet, guess which homes sold faster?

Maybe it's the private pool vs using the town pool (which doesn't exist) doing it. Maybe the people buying aren't educated enough to know that "HOAs are bad, m'kay, HOAs are bad"...

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    You didn't explicitly say it, but it seems implied as you have been telling us how HOAs add value. I was challenging the notion that the HOA is adding the value and not some other variable.
    Certain ones do, as in the case where I used to live and the amenities we had, that were HOA managed.

What about the HOAs that handle all exterior maintenance, lawn care and snow removal? Do those not add value?

In Florida, many communities HOA dues can be a grand or more. Are those bad too?

Saying HOAs are bad is a BROAD statement and it seems many here would want them banned.

I'm all for folks having the freedom to choose to be in a HOA or not. It seems the INGO consensus is to not even give folks that option...

:patriot:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Certain ones do, as in the case where I used to live and the amenities we had, that were HOA managed.

What about the HOAs that handle all exterior maintenance, lawn care and snow removal? Do those not add value?

In Florida, many communities HOA dues can be a grand or more. Are those bad too?

Saying HOAs are bad is a BROAD statement and it seems many here would want them banned.

I'm all for folks having the freedom to choose to be in a HOA or not. It seems the INGO consensus is to not even give folks that option...

I think the ingo consensus is that you shouldn't be forced into an HOA to follow someone else's rules. There happens to be a pretty large shortage of available housing. Certain sizes/locations the ONLY option is a restrictive HOA. So if one wants to own a house, they must be part of the HOA. Not voluntarily, but forced if they want to own a house. How is forcing anyone to bend to someones idea of house rules not a bad thing?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think the ingo consensus is that you shouldn't be forced into an HOA to follow someone else's rules. There happens to be a pretty large shortage of available housing. Certain sizes/locations the ONLY option is a restrictive HOA. So if one wants to own a house, they must be part of the HOA. Not voluntarily, but forced if they want to own a house. How is forcing anyone to bend to someones idea of house rules not a bad thing?
    Homelessness and/or renting for life are viable choices for some.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Has anyone ever bought a home and participation in the HOA was voluntary? I guess taxes are voluntary as well, I mean, no one is putting a gun to my head and making me write the check, am I right? Choices are great.
    Oh. But our choice on property taxes. We can arbitrarily decide make more money. Or decide which necessities we can sacrifice. Or just be homeless. I think they don't make tent people pay property tax.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Choices are great.

My previous neighborhood that had a HOA has plenty of non HOA neighborhoods around it. Larger lots even, with mature trees. Homes not that much older, in the non HOA neighborhoods.

Yet, guess which homes sold faster?

Maybe it's the private pool vs using the town pool (which doesn't exist) doing it. Maybe the people buying aren't educated enough to know that "HOAs are bad, m'kay, HOAs are bad"...
    So it can't possibly be that older homes tend to sell for less than newer homes?

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I don't think the thread's purpose was to solicit answers. it looks to me like it was to lecture people and try to invalidate any complaints about HOA's.
    not gonna happen. I don't handle being told what to do with my **** very well. In fact, I tend to tell those authoritarian ***** ******* to **** all the way off.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    not gonna happen. I don't handle being told what to do with my **** very well. In fact, I tend to tell those authoritarian ***** ******* to **** all the way off.
    Maybe this might cause Mike to understand why the thread isn't going as he might have liked. Or. Idunno. Maybe he enjoys it. This is ideological. This is the ethos of individualism. Don't tread on me level stuff.

There is no value in HOA's that justifies the authoritarian aspect, even if pragmatically, there may be some benefits to HOA's. Some people might want to trade away individual property rights for a community swimming pool.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

This is precisely the frustration that most of us are expressing with an HOA, they aren't optional or even negotiable. The developer buys the land, makes the rules, and everyone else who lives on that land is now locked into those rules long after the developer has recovered their investment and moved on or gone out of business. Yes there is typically a way to change the rules but as you yourself noted earlier that is not a simple task and doesn't happen often. Many of us have proposed changes that would improve the situation but those have largely been ignored.
    Some people might want to trade away individual property rights for a community swimming pool.
    That's the thing though, I don't see why they'd have to. Separate the community upkeep fees from the restrictions. If a community really wants restrictions, they can develop their own as a community, not take the ones created by the developer. Community things do indeed add value and I doubt anyone will complain about them when they are getting that value back. In fact, I don't think anyone has noted the dues as a reason they don't like HOAs as they exist.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm not wanting to restrict the rights of property owners. I just happen to believe that once someone buys something, they own it.

Why do you believe that once you own something you should get to control it in perpetuity regardless of how many times it gets sold to other people?
    Because I believe the owner of property has the right to sell whatever rights to property they want and retain whatever rights they want. I can sell you air rights and keep the rest of my rights. I can sell the mineral rights and retain the rest of my rights. I can sell you my property and retain the right to live in it until I die.

There a myriad of ways to sell or transfer rights to property beyond the simple complete sale, it is the owners right to use any of these they wish. If you are saying these and other covenants should not be allowed you are restricting the rights of property owners…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yo
    Temperament. Hmm, does that mean someone willing to sell to trade their liberty off for convenience and money? Or maybe someone who prefers who have others make all of their decisions for them because they can't handle the pressure or have pathetic taste? Maybe it means someone who gets off on controlling others but doesn't have the balls to jump alone and instead needs to form a pack of the tattle tale types from kindergarten to get their flexing in.
    You are the one taking the communist tack that wants to take peoples property rights away while bashing the adults that can make agreements as to how they will live in small lot neighborhoods.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What about a person's right to not be offended, not have to look at a mailbox they don't like or *GASP* not have to hear an air compressor?!?!?! Don't people have the right to control everything around them at all times to protect themselves against hurty things?

This country has cranked out some seriously twisted up human beings. Placing a higher value on conformity than freedom boggles my mind.
    You are the one suggesting the taking of others freedom.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That's a copout as much as it is when Mike says it. I don't want to restrict freedom. It's ironic that you phrase limiting power of governing bodies as restriction of freedom. You would make a good democrat apologist.
    HOA’s are not governing bodies. And if you want to limit property owners from being able to sell the rights they wish how they wish you are closer to a communist that even democrats. The fisrt thing communists do is take property rights.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom