• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The way you and Mike talk, it would have been perfectly fine for the previous owner of that Ram to require you to join a local Ram owners club as well as restrict your purchase such that you could never swap out or remove the ramboxes
    I've never seen an auto contract have any restrictions, have you?

Lookup deed restrictions on real estate or not, no skin off my back. I didn't make the law (or make it up). Real world vs make believe INGO land, I guess.

Personally, I try to be as educated as I can when spending the kind of money that real estate costs. If I don't fully understand it, I engage an expert on my behalf to ensure my interests are protected / represented.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The fence was the typical 6ft privacy fence constructed of treated posts, pickets, and furring strips.

I remember "the ugly side" referred to the fact that the homeowner did not want the posts and furring strips on the inside, because she didn't want to see them when she looked out the window. Somehow it got coined as "the ugly side".

All fences had to be approved by the board, but the bylaws did not specify anything about whether the "ugly side" had to face inward. I think we had initially approved the fence, but then when built the posts and furrings were on the outside. The HOA president had a fit. Long story short my position was to drop it. Waste of time trying to figure out how to enforce something not in the bylaws. There were a lot of angry conversations between the homeowner and the HOA president, but ultimately the board was not able to force the homeowner to take down the fence.
    Authorized in the covenants is authorized in the covenants. I had the "green chain link" conversation several times because no one has it, but it is specifically authorized. Stockade and livestock fence is not.

I'm also on the side of precedent. The developer-controlled HOA approved a number of fences that were not awful, just outside the specific guidance. If it is here already, I'm good. We have several lots that back up to a treeline. The town specified that it had to be chain-link in the back because... reasons. Did we say, "No you must have chain link everywhere or no fence at all, per paragraph blah-blah-blah!!" No, we said, "It backs up to a treeline, who the **** cares??"

Now if you'll excuse me I need to re-read Mr Pine's Purple House. I'm planning the sequel, "Mr Pine Sues His HOA" :lmfao:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If HOAs were of more benefit to all than reward to the entitled they could and would be organized by the actual owners of the property and not the previous owner.
    They are organized by the the owner. Then he sells it and it continues on. No one but an owner can start or stop it. Both have that option.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    You must be speaking of existing neighborhoods with city owned amenities and city owned land.

I'm discussing newer, planned subdivisions and how they do things. You know, places with an HOA. So I'll ask again, how do they do it without a HOA? (my question, and you even liked Jamil's post about it)

@repeter1977 this is the post you liked and what I'm speaking of. How do you do that with no HOA?
    Again, plenty of new neighborhoods being built without any HOA and still getting that taken care of. So, I'd go with that.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Again, plenty of new neighborhoods being built without any HOA and still getting that taken care of. So, I'd go with that.
    Wow, new neighborhoods going up by a developer with walking trails (not sidewalks), a community pool (for residents only), tennis and basketball courts?

That's awesome! How do they fund it and keep people from outside that neighborhood out? Someone has to manage the access cards...

And good on you for going with that. I'll keep my place in the country... no more subdivisions for this guy!

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Wow, new neighborhoods going up by a developer with walking trails (not sidewalks), a community pool (for residents only), tennis and basketball courts?

That's awesome! How do they fund it and keep people from outside that neighborhood out? Someone has to manage the access cards...

And good on you for going with that. I'll keep my place in the country... no more subdivisions for this guy!
    Imagine thinking that only certain people should have access to public property.
    Checking access cards, I remember all the racism in the news when HOAs were caught doing that to only certain people. Was way more than one caught too. It's where Karen came from lol.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You're no longer controlling it, you've just restricted its use.

I have my doubts @Ingomike made that law, he just seems to be familiar with it.
    Yay, another "I'm smarter than you post". Good job

Care to answer or is deflection all you've got?

control

1 of 2

verb

con·trol kən-ˈtrōl

controlled; controlling
    Synonyms of control
    transitive verb
    a
    : to exercise restraining or directing influence over : REGULATE
    control one's anger

restrict

verb

re·strict ri-ˈstrikt

restricted; restricting; restricts
    Synonyms of restrict
    transitive verb
    : to confine within bounds : RESTRAIN

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Yay, another "I'm smarter than you post". Good job

Care to answer or is deflection all you've got?

control

1 of 2

verb

con·trol kən-ˈtrōl

controlled; controlling
    Synonyms of control
    transitive verb
    a
    : to exercise restraining or directing influence over : REGULATE
    control one's anger

restrict

verb

re·strict ri-ˈstrikt

restricted; restricting; restricts
    Synonyms of restrict
    transitive verb
    : to confine within bounds : RESTRAIN
    Dude, deed restricted property is a thing. I may not agree with it either, but I can admit it's a legal thing and does exist...can you admit that?

To answer your question, no idea. I just know deed restrictions are a thing in real estate and something to look for, especially when purchasing rural properties...
    Imagine thinking that only certain people should have access to public property.
    Checking access cards, I remember all the racism in the news when HOAs were caught doing that to only certain people. Was way more than one caught too. It's where Karen came from lol.
    Did you read what I wrote?! Where did I say PUBLIC PROPERTY? I did not...seems to me you're discussing a city or town park, not something built by a developer for its subdivisions residents and platted in as part of the neighborhood when it's proposed to the city or county for approval.

For those that say No HOAs, how do you handle common area maintenance (mowing green space), trail maintenance, pool maintenance (and paying a life guard), bathhouse maintenance, tennis/basketball court upkeep (seems backboards and tennis court nets keep getting damaged).

You must not be aware subdivisions have these things for their residents and are maintained by their HOA. You bet your ass they keep the "public" out, it's private property.

Pretty sure at this point we're discussing two different things...

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Forgot to say, even retention ponds in most newer subdivisions are private, not public property, and only for that subdivisions residents.

Thankfully, cops were quick to kick out those fishing in the ponds of my previous neighborhood...

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Dude, deed restricted property is a thing. I may not agree with it either, but I can admit it's a legal thing and does exist...can you admit that?

Did you read what I wrote?! Where did I say PUBLIC PROPERTY? I did not...seems to me you're discussing a city or town park, not something built by a developer for its subdivisions residents and platted in as part of the neighborhood when it's proposed to the city or county for approval.

For those that say No HOAs, how do you handle common area maintenance (mowing green space), trail maintenance, pool maintenance (and paying a life guard), bathhouse maintenance, tennis/basketball court upkeep (seems backboards and tennis court nets keep getting damaged).

You must not be aware subdivisions have these things for their residents and are maintained by their HOA. You bet your ass they keep the "public" out, it's private property.

Pretty sure at this point we're discussing two different things...
    Yes we are. You want the neighborhood to be HOA and I pointed out new neighborhoods have the same things and aren't HOA. You asked how and I pointed out all the new neighborhoods doing maintenance without HOAs just fine. Now you are saying about HOAs being able to to which I'm going to point out again, maintenance is still done just fine outside of HOAs and has been before they existed and still continues to this day. So, HOAs aren't apparently as necessary as you pretend.
    Are you really taking the side of the racist HOAs from a few years ago? Because that's literally what happened and you are trying to defend them? Wow. That's seriously bold, I'll give you that.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Yes we are. You want the neighborhood to be HOA and I pointed out new neighborhoods have the same things and aren't HOA. You asked how and I pointed out all the new neighborhoods doing maintenance without HOAs just fine. Now you are saying about HOAs being able to to which I'm going to point out again, maintenance is still done just fine outside of HOAs and has been before they existed and still continues to this day. So, HOAs aren't apparently as necessary as you pretend.
    Are you really taking the side of the racist HOAs from a few years ago? Because that's literally what happened and you are trying to defend them? Wow. That's seriously bold, I'll give you that.
    Who's paying for that maintenance? How do they get it done?

You said PUBLIC property, right? If so, it's likely city or government owned... not the same thing as what I'm speaking of...which is a subdivision pool, subdivision courts, which are NOT public.

No idea the racist HOA you speak of, but PRIVATE property is private property, is it not?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    So do HOAs. Their existence does not justify their existence. Bad law is bad law, bad policy is bad policy and bad people are bad people.
    So change the bad policy, change the bad law, do not join the HOA.

I chose not to buy property with deed restrictions and went on with my life.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So change the bad policy, change the bad law, do not join the HOA.

I chose not to buy property with deed restrictions and went on with my life.
    As did I, then a thread popped up here so I shared my issues with HOAs. Then some people came in to explain that some of us just aren't smart enough to understand and it got fun.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    If I wanted to live in a community where those things were shared I wouldn't take issue with an HOA, there is necessity there. My last home/HOA did nothing of the sort other than a pond which the lot owners paid extra to maintain since we were not allowed access. The city plowed the streets, I cut my own grass and the "maintained" neighborhood sign and waterfall worked about 75% of the time.
    My half of our old neighborhood were all semi custom level homes, varying designs, no vinyl siding, etc.. Apparently before they could sell/build them all things got difficult so they changed the rules and the south end of the subdivision could all of a sudden have vinyl siding and you can bet 95% of them do. The neighborhood behind me was on a golf course and my back yard butted up against that of a home worth 3x what mine was. HOAs all around but different rules within a stone's throw, always found that interesting.

I'm all about people having the freedom to choose and in instances like you mention they should certainly have the freedom to come to collective agreements. Golf course communities, gated communities, lakefront, etc., those all present unique circumstances which are not found in your average Indiana subdivision full of 1/4 acre lots.

So do HOAs. Their existence does not justify their existence. Bad law is bad law, bad policy is bad policy and bad people are bad people.
    Both your posts, right? Seems you're OK with them if they have amenities you'd like, but their existence is bad.

As I asked earlier, how does a subdivision maintain those items for their residents use?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    As did I, then a thread popped up here so I shared my issues with HOAs. Then some people came in to explain that some of us just aren't smart enough to understand and it got fun.
    I just want to know how you pay for the amenities with no HOA? If it becomes a public pool and it's no longer a private pool, wouldn't that affect property values?

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Who's paying for that maintenance? How do they get it done?

You said PUBLIC property, right? If so, it's likely city or government owned... not the same thing as what I'm speaking of...which is a subdivision pool, subdivision courts, which are NOT public.

No idea the racist HOA you speak of, but PRIVATE property is private property, is it not?
    See, not only not reading articles posted but now not even reading the comment you are replying to.
    Already answered, taxpayers. Yes it's public property. Yes maintenance gets done like before HOAs even existed. Almost as if HOA making their own is completely silly, although a great way to keep certain people out.

Posting another article about a racist Indiana HOA, let's see if this one gets read.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom