• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Simple for me. Facebook results in divorces. I was once a real ladies man (you know before my current wife and while I was married to my first wife) I don't need the drama!!! My son has one, I don't allow him to post anything about my arsenal of weapons. DONT NEED THE FEDS WATCHING ME.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    no_facebook.jpg

1Spider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Simple for me. Facebook results in divorces. I was once a real ladies man (you know before my current wife and while I was married to my first wife) I don't need the drama!!!.
    I got an account because my wife wanted me to and once I did every time I accepted a friend that was female, I get 20 questions followed by the silent treatment. Now I don't use it and have deleted a lot of female friends just to be on the safe side.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I may have posted this article to you before regarding the integration of facial recognition software into tracking systems.

http://www.naomiklein.org/articles/2 008/05/chinas-all-seeing-eye

Just think what could be done if they had a whole book filled with faces to catalog against.

Witness how much information can be obtained simply from a picture of an individual's face....

Facial-Recognition Technology Proves Powerful, Intrusive - WSJ.com

A Japanese company has developed a camera system which stores and indexes faces via facial recognition software and can scan those captured and stored images at a rate up to 36,000,000 per second.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2119386/Could-governments-recognise-ANYONE-instantly-CCTV-Japanese-camera-scan-36-million-faces-second.html

I wonder if the system could be used to match and track individuals indexed against a database…. Maybe like a book full of faces. Hmmmm…..

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Here is a picture from several years go.

http://gigapan.org/viewGigapanFullscreen.php?auth=033ef14483ee899496648c2b4b06233c

How much detail can you pick up on those far away?

Here is the article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/4697525/Barack-Obama-inauguration-Amazing-photograph-close-ups-using-new-camera-technology.html

I wonder if big brother puts such cameras in other areas. I wonder if he attempts to index such photos against a databases, maybe a face full of books for example, in an effort to track folks. All for our own safety, of course.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Anybody want to discuss "frequent shopper" cards?

Armed with only the date of birth and zip code, a person can be identified with an accuracy rate of over 97%

Here is a book worth a read...

The Numerati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keep giving your information away folks.... keep building those dossiers for big brother and whomever else wants them....

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Am I the only one scanning the rooflines in that pic for secret service snipers? :shady:

They are there.

Look how deep you can look into the crowd as well.

Keep in mind, this is the technology that the public is aware of and it is at least four years old.

I wonder how long it would take to scan and index the facial images?

For the Japanese system mentioned above, not long given that it runs at 36,000,000 images per second.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    When the TV news or a newspaper reports a story they very often have posts from the persons facebook. Everyone knows to go to facebook to get useful information about people. We all use it as our own little spy tool at times.

some say "I don't post anything private".

Ever post anything like - "We are in the smokies having a great time"? Well, don't be surprised if your house gets broken into while your having a great time. My neighbors broke into our house when I was a kid.

My brother broke into our other neighbors house when he was little. Note to the neighbors - never make a habit of giving a little fat 5 y.o. fudge sicles and then leave on vacation. That little fatty now has a habit and he will throw a brick through your window to get the fudge:D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My brother broke into our other neighbors house when he was little. Note to the neighbors - never make a habit of giving a little fat 5 y.o. fudge sicles and then leave on vacation. That little fatty now has a habit and he will throw a brick through your window to get the fudge:D

That's IT! My fudgie pops are going into the safe deposit box at the bank!

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Facebook, along with the other references I posted, provide some indication of just how easy it is to keep sheep in line and under control. Hell, they lock the gate latch themselves!

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    Also, fb records what pages you look at after logging out.

This reminded me of something. Somewhere in the privacy settings, you have the ability to see "places you've logged onto FB from" or something similar.

I checked it out a few times, and to my surprise I'd logged onto FB from somewhere in California a few times. I have never in my life been to California.

I have read the logs in my cell phone (tower location, wifi location, etc.- the info was compiled with CarrierIQ at the time) and no where did I see where my phone ever thought it was in California.

I had the option to basically "delete" those devices/places from the list, thus supposedly not allowing a log on unless the user went through extra identification. Kind of like Google's dual identification thing where you need two seperate email addresses, a phone #, or something else for extra security.

I don't remember if I ever saw strange things like that on the list after, or even if I checked again after deleting. Point is- it really shouldn't have showed that in the first place. It kind of creeped me out. NO ONE knows my passwords, and they are definitely not easy to guess.

Just a heads up. For the tin foil hat folks, yeah... someone could be on your account drooling at your private shtuff without you probably knowing about it.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    It's what you make it, really. All the paranoia surrounding it is pretty comical. I've NEVER seen any of my friends post their "addresses and phone numbers" on FB, nor did FB require this info to setup an account in 2007 when I joined. Now I will say alot of the new apps and such on FB are stooopid. I think the "checking in" app is weird, and pointless. I'm not sure why you'd want everyone to know where you ate dinner or that you're at Wal-mart.

I post good songs I come across on FB, family updates, news articles, and concert dates on my FB. Only my friends can see what I post, but even if FB handed over all my deepest darkest FB secrets over to the Gubment, guess what....BIG WHUP!! Because I use common sense and respect my own privacy.

Top Bottom