• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Post a single image on Facebook from your smart phone and you are asking for trouble.Forget that it is a data mining operation.Post a cute picture you took in front of the mirror in your bathroom and your exact GPS coordinates are available to anyone with some very simple software.All smart phone images are imbedded with GPS coordinates(even if you turn the feature off,as I proved to my daughter).

Giving your exact location to anyone who stalks the web is generally a bad idea.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Facebook is like the phone. It can interrupt me *not* on my terms.

Forums are like... I don't know. TV. I only get involved when I feel like it.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Facebook is the biggest narcissistic "look at me" thing in the world. It's about "I am having more fun than you", "I am more crazy than you", "I am with this person", etc.

For a while I thought that cell phones came packaged with a bathroom mirror. Later I realized it was about people thinking they look pretty hot so they better post it.

I have a Facebook and I have 4 friends - my wife, my two daughters and my son. I use it to watch what they are doing and saying. I also will log onto their accounts to see what private messaging they are doing. But I am a little different, my kids did not get cells phones until they started driving.

Kids, young people and adults put things on there that they should never put out in cyberspace. They think about today and not about the future and the fact that those things are out there forever. They like to post things about smoking pot as if that won't ever be seen by a potential employer down the line.

Facebook is like everything else that we are made to feel like we cannot live without. Then we just can't hold back what we share.

Most of all I cannot stand the "reality TV" that Facebook is. It's drama, it's yet another way to ostracize other people, boohoo about your life publicly and see how many friends you can have (even though you don't know them) just so you tell people how many friends you have.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Post a single image on Facebook from your smart phone and you are asking for trouble.Forget that it is a data mining operation.Post a cute picture you took in front of the mirror in your bathroom and your exact GPS coordinates are available to anyone with some very simple software.All smart phone images are imbedded with GPS coordinates(even if you turn the feature off,as I proved to my daughter).

Giving your exact location to anyone who stalks the web is generally a bad idea.

CNN article on the topic.
    Digital photos can reveal your location, raise privacy fears - CNN

The article is correct in all but one respect,that is that you can turn the EXIF feature off.You can turn it off and even disable your gps function,but I was still able to get this information off of a picture my daughter took.There is no real way to stop EXIF on a smart phone the options just give you a false sense of security that is not really available.My advice is to never post a picture anywhere taken with a smart phone.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    :D No. But she is my friend. I don't watch what she is doing. She uses hers as much as I use mine. In fact the last thing I wrote on her wall was Happy Valentines day. That is still the last entry on her wall.

That's why Facebook lasted only a month or so for me. A few years ago I wanted to see an entry someone "invited" me to and I had to sign up. Within a few weeks, I had "Hey, howzitgoing?" from two ex's.

As innocent as it may be, the Mrs. PM doesn't need to see something like that which brings up questions for which there are no answers.

Account cancelled.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

The article is correct in all but one respect,that is that you can turn the EXIF feature off.You can turn it off and even disable your gps function,but I was still able to get this information off of a picture my daughter took.There is no real way to stop EXIF on a smart phone the options just give you a false sense of security that is not really available.My advice is to never post a picture anywhere taken with a smart phone.

My advice is to just set your FB privacy settings to the highest settings so people can't see anything unless you let them.. It's amazing how many of my daughter's friends have their accounts wide open so anyone can see anything about them.

Facebook is like anything else, it's only as secure as you make it. If it wasnt for FB I wouldnt have been reunited with near as many of my old friends as I would have without it.

Use it smart, and you will be ok, use it dumb and you get what you deserve..

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

So you was still able to get that image info out of the pic.

Both pics uploaded straight from my phone to Facebook, you give me the gos cords where they was taken. BTW, images are linked straight from my FB page, so nothing was stripped by external sources.

I'll be waiting.:D

205854_110645559033373_270716_n.jpg

314975_127600394004556_100002637880271_151631_6440346_n.jpg

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm on Facebook, I don't post very much, mostly to keep track of some of my friends and in touch with my family because it's so hard some times to just sit down and have a good conversation between the times we get to see each other.

I'll post the occasional funny pic, updates like when I had my eye surgery because it was too hard to call everyone that wanted to know, stupid comment of the day by me or just a rant that needed out.

Nothing is on there that I don't want seen or known, it's is not a daily run down of my life like some people pages are. It's not the boogie man it does not scare me to put a little on there.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron

Both pics uploaded straight from my phone to Facebook, you give me the gos cords where they was taken. BTW, images are linked straight from my FB page, so nothing was stripped by external sources.

No EXIF data available to mine.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205854_110645559033373_270716_n.jpg

Handling APPx (0xe0) block.
    Handling APPx (0xe2) block.
    End of APPx data blocks reached.
    Status = 0

Unable to extract some or all of the EXIF data, which may have been removed from the image file.

Not sure if you blocked it,or if facebook did.I do know quite a few images on facebook are wide open.They claim to strip EXIF data now,but a simple firefox add on shows otherwise in many cases.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Keep in mind folks, that if you have your FB set to Private, strangers ie "non friends" can't see anything about you, but by contrast, non members can read everything you post on INGO..

If you are so concerned about privacy that you won't have an FB account, you sure as heck shouldnt be posting here..

Top Bottom