• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Maybe, but afaIk, there is no way anyone can find my location here, on INGO ..... except Greenfield .... and am I REALLY in Greenfield ?????
    Do not be so confident.
    EXIF IFD0
    Camera Make {0x010F} SONY
    Camera Model {0x0110} DSC-V1
    Picture Orientation {0x0112} normal (1)
    Last Modified Date/Time {0x0132} 2012:01:05 18:20:35
    EXIF Sub IFD
    Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) {0x829A} 1/40 second ===> 0.025 second
    Lens F-Number / F-Stop {0x829D} 14/5 ===> ƒ/2.8
    ISO Speed Ratings {0x8827} 100
    Original Date/Time {0x9003} 2012:01:05 18:20:35
    Exposure Bias (EV) {0x9204} 0/1 ===> 0
    Flash {0x9209} Flash fired, auto mode, return light detected
    Focal Length {0x920A} 7/1 mm ===> 7 mm
    Image Width {0xA002} 2592 pixels
    Image Height {0xA003} 1944 pixels
    Information from a picture you posted here.The camera it was taken with did not have GPS capability,or I would have that as well.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Keep in mind folks, that if you have your FB set to Private, strangers ie "non friends" can't see anything about you, but by contrast, non members can read everything you post on INGO..

If you are so concerned about privacy that you won't have an FB account, you sure as heck shouldnt be posting here..

Facebook switched my privacy settings off on two separate occasions, and both times coincided with "Fantastic new features!". After reading their ToS changes following the updates, they even said that they were resetting all of my security settings, but it was buried in the new ToS. They've publicly stated on a number of occasions that their end goal is to eliminate internet privacy completely. I'll try to find the interviews.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Boy you guys are really slow...........the first thing you always ask a woman is "do you reload?".....................separate them quick! Of course if you ask that on FB then the answers might be a bit strange........................just sayin...........

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I use FB mainly to keep in touch with friends and family and to advocate for endangered cats & dogs. I post some pictures but it's friends only. I seldom do status updates and when I do it's usually hey WTH has FB done to my settings, why are the recent posts missing.

I actually spend more time on INGO and share more here than I do on FB. However I recently removed most pics and any identifying information about myself from here because anyone can see it, members and non-members. On FB I know only my friends see me. I don't do anything illegal or have anything to hide but at the same time I'm not looking for a stalker either. Sometimes you really can give out too much information.

miguel's sister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Red dot in a blue state
    .....but i can only seem to attract ugly ones that like to dance on bar tops :-D

Nice cross thread post. :D

Personally I don't care to let people know my business. If I want you to know what I'm doing (not likely)...I'll tell you.

I realize some people use it to keep in touch with family and friends but isn't it just as easy to set up a user group in an email account and sent out notes?

Ditto for the Twitter thing too.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I was a member for about 1 month. Then I deleted my acct.
    I couldn't keep up with all the drama and dirty laundry. I now spend all my time on :ingo:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm on there, mostly just to keep up with news, family and sometimes you get good deals when you "like" certain retailers. I don't put much personal stuff on there. Someone i know is constantly posting about hating their job (while at their job), calling the bosses names, trying to goad her long-time boyfriend into marrying her, etc. Some girl my husband hadn't seen since his early teens contacted me via her sister's FB account, wanting to know if we'd like to meet her next time she was in our area. When husband told me to tell her he wasn't interested, she sent a letter to his work trying to meet him! That didn't go over real well. My FIL, who is in his early 70s, freaked out and closed his account. One of the reasons: an old girlfriend asked him if he still went skinny dipping! lol

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    For everyone that deleted your account, all you did was hide it, FB still has all the info logged on their servers.

Facebook, Google and INGO all only get the information you give them, careful what you hand out on the internet applies the same now as it did 25 years ago; and as it did before that when talking to strangers. Time on the internet is time in public, and if you put something out there anyone with the proper motivation can hear it, and the only difference about the internet is that it's usually logged permanently. I use twitter too, I don't post on Twitter; I subscribe and I read and that's it, I can check up on AP news, Massad Ayoobs blog, .gov press releases and some sports news with ease. All google and facebook have done is make it easier to get caught doing something (from perfectly ok, to socially akward to illegal) because they're centralizing the information. And yes, that can be an issue when it comes to keeping your job or the government going out of it's way to expel kids that like the wrong parts of the English language. Only post important things to facebook, and it's going to be a piece of cake, only post that you just ate a Reese's peanut butter cup and there's going to be more crap to sort through and those Ex'es aren't going to want anything to do with you unless they were equally as interested in that real or fictitious peanut butter cup.

If you're going to use it you need to be smart about it, and I suspect that most of the people that avoid it deliberately either don't want to take the extra time and effort to be smart about it so they just avoid it; or they don't want to be contributing to other peoples corporate gain as the payment of following others posts about peanut butter cups isn't a worthwhile return.

As time has progressed, and Google has updated it's ToS I've been steadily withdrawing from the use of their services as they have claimed intellectual property rights over everything I store or send through their services and as a photographer I don't like that (and they aren't getting a copy of the novel I'm writing anyways); and given their financial status, at this point they would be able to afford a better legal team than I. I know lots of people that got bent about their ToS with their faux "cloud"; if they keep going down this path and abusing the users, eventually people with take the time to make a change, they've been so big for so long, it's not going to be easy (and as a site admin on a car forum, easily 80% or better of the incoming emails I get are people with .gmail accounts).

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    For everyone that deleted your account, all you did was hide it, FB still has all the info logged on their servers.

True statement. There's actually two ways to "get rid" of your account. The first way (the default way) simply suspends your account and makes it look like it has disappeared. You can log back in and resume at any time as if nothing really happened. This is the way that most people "delete" their account, not knowing any different.

The second way is to actually delete it (sort of) in a way that if you wanted to log back in, you'd have to make your profile again from scratch as if Facebook never knew your email address in the first place. This implies that they no longer have your information, but don't be naive. Once they have it...they have it.

I chose to do the latter after using Facebook for a couple years. I know they still have my info/pictures/life somewhere in a server or two. Nothing I can do about that now. If I had known the future, I never NEVER would have joined in the first place.

I have nothing to hide per se, but I'm not comfortable with how intrusive they (and others like them) are becoming. Targeted ads in and of itself is one thing, but I don't trust TPTB with that kind of power over me. Not to mention that stupid Timeline thing they are forcing on everyone- I was being hard headed when I found that out, and just called it quits.

Even though out side of work I truly don't do much of anything constructive, I feel a LOT less stress/anger because Facebook no longer controls me.

I never got into it nearly as much as some do (never posted random crap about what I just ate etc.) but it did take up more of my day than I would have liked. I realize that it was something I could cut back on, but as I've learned/struggled with alcohol I think it's probably just best to quit altogether.

Basically- I feel a lot more free now that I don't have a stupid Facebook. I still have the same friends/family, and the "friends" I had on there that don't contact me now apparently weren't too good of friends at all. So be it. I just don't want to play this game anymore. Life is NOT supposed to be a game.

I may be an outcast for not having an account, but that's OK with me. There were some men a couple hundred years ago who were outcasts too, and I think they did a pretty good job at things.

Take a leap of faith and quit the game! :twocents:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Never had facebook, myspace, twitter, etc. and never will. Everyone that's told me that I need to be on there are people who I don't want to talk to anyway, let alone having them buzzing me all the time on there. Most people I know that are on it use it for a gossip box.

My sister in law used to constantly send us emails with facebook links and we kept telling her we couldn't see them because we don't have an account and we're not getting an account. Then she'd just email us the details of what she wanted us to know. She is 7 years older than my wife and was only acquaintances with my wife's friends. Yet she's facebook friended them all and was constantly emailing us about what was on their pages. If one of my friends wants me to know something, they can pick up the phone or email me directly to tell me. If it isn't important enough for them to do that, than I don't care or don't want to know.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Do not be so confident.
    EXIF IFD0
    Camera Make {0x010F} SONY
    Camera Model {0x0110} DSC-V1
    Picture Orientation {0x0112} normal (1)
    Last Modified Date/Time {0x0132} 2012:01:05 18:20:35
    EXIF Sub IFD
    Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) {0x829A} 1/40 second ===> 0.025 second
    Lens F-Number / F-Stop {0x829D} 14/5 ===> ƒ/2.8
    ISO Speed Ratings {0x8827} 100
    Original Date/Time {0x9003} 2012:01:05 18:20:35
    Exposure Bias (EV) {0x9204} 0/1 ===> 0
    Flash {0x9209} Flash fired, auto mode, return light detected
    Focal Length {0x920A} 7/1 mm ===> 7 mm
    Image Width {0xA002} 2592 pixels
    Image Height {0xA003} 1944 pixels
    Information from a picture you posted here.The camera it was taken with did not have GPS capability,or I would have that as well.
    To me, this is incredible... Thanks, I am NOT computer, or Internet savvy .....

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Not afraid of Facebook, just don't see the draw.

If it doesn't say "gun" in the title, I'm not likely to log-in.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I have a Facebook, but the risk of seeing my friends and family express their stupid opinions is an ever looming threat.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    People are, generally, afraid of what they're ignorant of.

Facebook won't "know" anything that you don't tell "it". Period.

-J-
    And I don't tell "it" anything if I can help it. Wonderful way for spoiled narcissists to waste MORE of their time. Worse than doggoned INGO.:rockwoot:

The two days I spent actively using FACEBUTT were amazing for the amount of inane stupidity on display. Stuff other folks were never meant to know. Let alone the stuff that NOBODY wanted to know. Participation on FACEBUTT is as much a disqualifier for a personal relationship as smoking and being 50 lbs overweight to me.

Top Bottom