• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Made it back from McLeod MT, and the week at the dude ranch 20 miles north of Yellowstone, without having to shoot anyone in the kneecap with the Sig .226 .40 to save my life. I did purchase Underwood hard cast 200 grain hunting ammo. Don’t really have a Grizzly gun, out of all the options this seemed……the least not terrible. Have a .44 mag Ruger, but SA and 10.5 barrel, for example. To be honest on most of the trails if we encountered a bear there was really no where to go but straight up or down or into the trees, and I envisioned lots of broken bones as the ground was about 105 percent rock. Took horses places our horses would have never gone, and I didn’t think you could take a horse. We did see bears every day, most thru binoculars 800 yards away. But, I did see one about 200 yards and the lead wrangler saw a cub and a moose and turned our all day ride around, for safety.

Group was from NM and a bunch of east coast big city libs. Foreman said gun is fine, just keep it discreet the best you can. Day 4 saw the bear and went from discreet to semi prepared, and got outed. Was told not to shoot a bear to save a libs life by a Dr from Massachusetts, and said don’t worry, that was never my plan anyway. (see previous paragraph)

Put in a plug for Hawley Mountain Guest Ranch, 42 miles south of Big Timber. Rustic, built on a rock on the side of a Mountain, and took care of us like you wouldn’t believe. Gained 7 pounds!!!

We had horses for 10 years, 15 years ago. I’m not a cowboy. Horse is Red Cloud, made me look like I knew what I was doing. Trip was a retirement party for me, from our daughter. We had a party of 7. It was a blast. 47 years trucking and I just got back from renewing my license to a non CDL.

View attachment 361703
    That sounds like an awesome trip and a really good time! I've carried my .40 P229 in a similar capacity in the past out west, because it seemed like the least-worst option available to me at the time. Like you, I thankfully never had to test it.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    That sounds like an awesome trip and a really good time! I've carried my .40 P229 in a similar capacity in the past out west, because it seemed like the least-worst option available to me at the time. Like you, I thankfully never had to test it.
    It was!! I started a thread
    it was!!

I started a thread in “The Great Outdoors” with some pics and more info so as to not off topic this one so badly.

I have no Grizzly Bear experience, I suspect my best defense is likely going to be along the lines of screaming like a 6 year old and wetting my pants. Also glad I didn’t have to find out. I envisioned inserting myself between any said bears and my grandsons, if need be, but I suspect it’s one of those things you can’t really say how you’d react until after it’s over?

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    It's those millennials.

Where's that video at....
    I’m 66. I bought my .40 226 back in 2016/17? when Hitlery was running for Prez. I was driving west coast and made most of my non fuel/shower stops at Walmarts along the way. I bought whatever ammo they had and would allow you to buy. Sometimes I’d get a box upon arrival, take my 10 hour break, and then get another one before leaving. Had to cut my load of strawberries as I was overweight from ammo on the way home!!! It seemed like .40 SW was usually the only thing available, so I eventually had enough that I figured I needed a gun to shoot it with. I eventually got a HK VP40 for a Christmas present after shooting my son’s VP9. I think the first mag out of that was such an awesome grouping that I said I’ll never do that again. Don’t shoot it much and don’t carry it, like a hammer/steel gun I guess, preferably Sig. I do carry a .357 686 Plus on occasion. Always OC as I refuse to jump thru the unconstitutional hoops required by the state of NM to conceal.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I’m 66. I bought my .40 226 back in 2016/17? when Hitlery was running for Prez. I was driving west coast and made most of my non fuel/shower stops at Walmarts along the way. I bought whatever ammo they had and would allow you to buy. Sometimes I’d get a box upon arrival, take my 10 hour break, and then get another one before leaving. Had to cut my load of strawberries as I was overweight from ammo on the way home!!! It seemed like .40 SW was usually the only thing available, so I eventually had enough that I figured I needed a gun to shoot it with. I eventually got a HK VP40 for a Christmas present after shooting my son’s VP9. I think the first mag out of that was such an awesome grouping that I said I’ll never do that again. Don’t shoot it much and don’t carry it, like a hammer/steel gun I guess, preferably Sig. I do carry a .357 686 on occasion. Always OC as I refuse to jump thru the unconstitutional hoops required by the state of NM to conceal.
    I'll be 66 in a month and a half, I bought my first two 9mm 226's ( Payroll deductions) in 1984-85. I picked them up from Sig at the then, Tysons Corner Import Office. I still have them both.
    Like you I also have a few P22 series in 40 that have come along in the past few decades. Great pistols for sure. Very seldom in my life I have open carried in the States. I have bouth a few of the 40 Sigs from members here at really good pricing for pistols that all have been 99% or better when I bought them.
    A few came with the extra 357 Sig barrel.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I'll be 66 in a month and a half, I bought my first two 9mm 226's ( Payroll deductions) in 1984-85. I picked them up from Sig at the then, Tysons Corner Import Office. I still have them both.
    Like you I also have a few P22 series in 40 that have come along in the past few decades. Great pistols for sure. Very seldom in my life I have open carried in the States. I have bouth a few of the 40 Sigs from members here at really good pricing for pistols that all have been 99% or better when I bought them.
    A few came with the extra 357 Sig barrel.
    I’ve sold one gun in my life, and regretted it immediately. A Baby Desert Eagle II, 9mm. So, due to that I have “a bit” of a collection……

I’ve open carried mainly for 16 years, relatively issue free. I did have a CCL in Wisconsin due to the way they handle car carry as concealed, but here in New Mexico it’s considered to be part of your home. And no lic/permit needed. Aling with on a bicycle, motorcycle, or horse. We also have no permit open carry, but otherwise are closer to NY and CA than one might expect for a western state. I’ve open carried in most of the Midwest states, where legal, while driving a semi. Contrary to popular belief, it’s NOT ILLEGAL to carry a firearm in a commercial vehicle, you just have to be legal wherever you go. Which could be a problem, but never was for me.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    My oldest gun is Glock 22C from late 90s or early 2000s (with 10 round mags thanks to the Brady Bill). I was planning on joining the police department, so I wanted to get used to it. I also have a Glock 23, and I really like it since it will also shoot 9mm with a conversion barrel (threaded).

So i just got a police surplus glock 22, gun has minimal holster wear and looks unfired for like $260, but everyone seems to hate .40 with a passion, but why?

I understand there's more recoil and it can be if it's happy, and in compact and subcompact guns it sucks to shoot, but it doesn't seem that bad in service pistols.

The ammo isn't incredibly expensive and available. It's easy enough to shoot in a a full size gun. It seems to perform better then 9mm with barrier penetration and even cheap .40 JHPs perform as well as if not better then 9mm. Even the flat nose .40 FMJ is not a horrible defensive round(over penetration aside6
    ).

I get people who call it .40 Short and Weak and want to carry full house 10mm and it's good for hunting. but looking at most ammunition, testing, full power 10 mm either over expands or over penetrates with most modern defensive ammunition.

And the well regarded defensive/duty JHP loadings in 10mm are running more or less at hot .40 S&W velocities.

I understand why people don't like it for concealed carry, but why all the hate?

If ai had to use it as a cop gun, or in a home defense pistol it seems like it is a good middle of the round round for that purpose

yanmarguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2024
    Bloomington
    No hate coming from this guy. I find that most people are eager to throw it in with a pistol when doing trades. Easy to stock pile it. Let's start with that day ever came that I had to defend myself or my family I would be thrilled to death to have a 40sw locked and loaded. Absolutely nothing wrong with it!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Contrary to popular belief, it’s NOT ILLEGAL to carry a firearm in a commercial vehicle, you just have to be legal wherever you go. Which could be a problem, but never was for me.
    I drove Class B for 5 years (part-time) and Class A for the past 8 years (full-time) and the only restriction(s) are those related to state and local carry for out-of-state individuals...there's nothing in writing related to individuals because they drive a commercial vehicle!

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I’ve sold one gun in my life, and regretted it immediately. A Baby Desert Eagle II, 9mm. So, due to that I have “a bit” of a collection……

I’ve open carried mainly for 16 years, relatively issue free. I did have a CCL in Wisconsin due to the way they handle car carry as concealed, but here in New Mexico it’s considered to be part of your home. And no lic/permit needed. Aling with on a bicycle, motorcycle, or horse. We also have no permit open carry, but otherwise are closer to NY and CA than one might expect for a western state. I’ve open carried in most of the Midwest states, where legal, while driving a semi. Contrary to popular belief, it’s NOT ILLEGAL to carry a firearm in a commercial vehicle, you just have to be legal wherever you go. Which could be a problem, but never was for me.
    I sold my first firearm because I was too immature to own it. (Ruger Security Six in 1983)
    Purchased from my sister's boyfriend who was 20 years older than me, and half as mature.

Decided to fill that spot in my safe 10 or so years ago...
    Still haven't fired it.
    I take it apart and look at it. Have ammo.
    Just feels better to own one than not own one.
    (edit WE TOOK THAT CONVO AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT WAY!)
    AND YES... LOVE 40

Top Bottom