• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That’s not all the way a factual comparison. 357 Sig like a couple rounds can’t be plus p because it already in a standard loading has 40,000 PSI (the new 30 Super Carry is 50,000)
    -ship-
    Of course .357 Sig ammo COULD be +p loaded, as +p just means it's loaded to a higher pressure than the SAAMI spec.
    And of course depending on barrel length, the muzzle velocity will vary from the rated muzzle velocity.

For example, Underwood uses a barrel length of 4.49" for testing .357 Sig ammo.
    So I doubt my 4.25" barrel on my M&P 357 would be far off being only .24" shorter than the test barrel.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Of course .357 Sig ammo COULD be +p loaded, as +p just means it's loaded to a higher pressure than the SAAMI spec.
    And of course depending on barrel length, the muzzle velocity will vary from the rated muzzle velocity.

For example, Underwood uses a barrel length of 4.49" for testing .357 Sig ammo.
    So I doubt my 4.25" barrel on my M&P 357 would be far off being only .24" shorter than the test barrel.
    Underwood is what I call a “boutique rounds. Baby that I mean very very few stores carry it on te shelves as a regular item. What I am referring to is what you find at any given store at any given time and what is or was issued by drives of LE Agenxies. Very very few agencies issue Double Tap or Buffalo Bore individual officers maybe but that is not the norm.

The issue is the 357 Sig CAN”T be loaded it’s already at pretty much at plus p plus pressure as is the 30 Super Carry and others. New Mexico State Oolice had issues with broken guns both Glock them S&W M&P 357 because of it. S&W (which I am a big fan of M&P’s) discontinued the 357 Sig M&P like 15 years ago well before other departments started going to 9mm because of low sales AND a lot of returned guns. Had a lengthy discussion with a S&W rep in a class on it.

SAAMI tops out at plus p. Even non SAAMI 9mm plus p plus tops out at around 42,000 PSI

And respectfully you say you “doubt” yours is much less have you ever chronograph your gun with that round?
    If you do you would be surprised.

The 357 Sig isn’t a bad round it’s just there are a lot better rounds that do the same thing at less cost and that don’t beat up guns.

When you run a 9mm 125 grain quality bonded JHP at true 1,200 FPS it gives dirt naps multiple agencies have proven that. Which is also the reason the move from 40 to 9mm happened

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Why can’t this be hammer fired…..
    I talked to the S&W rep last year and asked why they can’t bring back the 3rd Gen under the Classic banner but have a de cock only (more because I get tired of hearing other folks complain about slide mounted safety de cock levers)

His response was be patient. Not sure if that means me 3rd Gen or a re done 4th Gen he didn’t elaborate

I’m a hammer fired guy myself too!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Underwood is what I call a “boutique rounds. Baby that I mean very very few stores carry it on te shelves as a regular item. What I am referring to is what you find at any given store at any given time and what is or was issued by drives of LE Agenxies. Very very few agencies issue Double Tap or Buffalo Bore individual officers maybe but that is not the norm.

The issue is the 357 Sig CAN”T be loaded it’s already at pretty much at plus p plus pressure as is the 30 Super Carry and others. New Mexico State Oolice had issues with broken guns both Glock them S&W M&P 357 because of it. S&W (which I am a big fan of M&P’s) discontinued the 357 Sig M&P like 15 years ago well before other departments started going to 9mm because of low sales AND a lot of returned guns. Had a lengthy discussion with a S&W rep in a class on it.

SAAMI tops out at plus p. Even non SAAMI 9mm plus p plus tops out at around 42,000 PSI

And respectfully you say you “doubt” yours is much less have you ever chronograph your gun with that round?
    If you do you would be surprised.

The 357 Sig isn’t a bad round it’s just there are a lot better rounds that do the same thing at less cost and that don’t beat up guns.

When you run a 9mm 125 grain quality bonded JHP at true 1,200 FPS it gives dirt naps multiple agencies have proven that. Which is also the reason the move from 40 to 9mm happened
    True, Underwood is one of other "boutique" ammo makers.
    Which unfortunately people who want ammo loaded closer to SAAMI spec are forced to order from because the mainstream ammo makers tend to underload their ammo.

Yes, 357 Sig is a higher pressure round, SAAMI rated at 40,000 PSI, but the +p designation simply means ammo that's loaded to a higher spec than SAAMI spec, for example 10% higher.
    Not on how high pressure the round is compared to the SAAMI pressures of others.

I know of some of the problems with the earlier 1.0 M&P's. and the failure to extract issues with the .357 Sig ones.
    When I got the two early 1.0 M&P 40's cheap, I replaced both the Sear Housing Blocks with the old 1/16" spring with the updated ones with the 1/8" spring.
    I also replaced both striker assemblies with the updated ones and replaced the Recoil Guide Rod Assembly in both just for good measure.

I FOUND when I added the OEM 357 Sig barrels, BOTH pistols exhibited the failure to extract issues I read about some departments having.

I REPLACED the extractors in BOTH pistols with the Apex Failure Resistant Extractor Model# 100-068 and it fixed the extracton issues.
    BOTH of these pistols have been SOLIDLY reliable ever since.

It was worth it to me to replace some parts in these two M&P's I got cheaply because I too am a BIG fan of the M&P's because they really fit my hand well.

As to crono of the Underwood 357 Sig 125 JHP, I saw a crono of them in the same length 4.49" barrel (Glock 31) Underwood uses and it was 1479fps.
    The same round in a Glock 32 with a 4.02" barrel it was 1400fps.
    So a 4.25" barrel of my M&P 357 would be in between 1479 and 1400 somewhere.

I'm not saying a 9mm isn't capable of doing the job.
    I've just never been big on the 9mm, in fact I'd been carrying for 30 years before I ever owned a 9mm.
    I just find I like the 357 sig round better, and I shoot it better for some reason, whether it be M&P, Sig P226, Sig P229, and Glock platforms.
    YMMV :)

Last edited:

Johnk

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    Recently purchased a Beretta 96 Brigadier 40S&W and I literally can't tell the difference of recoil except that it was a bit louder. I did notice how the bullet got to the target much quicker.
    Hopefully TwangBanger will see my post and show me the way to his bounty.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have owned, and carried many different 40 cal guns. I also would not hesitate to carry a Sig 229, or 226 in 40 cal. Add G22/23 as well. Had a Taurus PT100 that was fantastic too.
    Choose your flavor, practice, and maintain your firearm. Minimum issues wont bother you.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Made it back from McLeod MT, and the week at the dude ranch 20 miles north of Yellowstone, without having to shoot anyone in the kneecap with the Sig .226 .40 to save my life. I did purchase Underwood hard cast 200 grain hunting ammo. Don’t really have a Grizzly gun, out of all the options this seemed……the least not terrible. Have a .44 mag Ruger, but SA and 10.5 barrel, for example. To be honest on most of the trails if we encountered a bear there was really no where to go but straight up or down or into the trees, and I envisioned lots of broken bones as the ground was about 105 percent rock. Took horses places our horses would have never gone, and I didn’t think you could take a horse. We did see bears every day, most thru binoculars 800 yards away. But, I did see one about 200 yards and the lead wrangler saw a cub and a moose and turned our all day ride around, for safety.

Group was from NM and a bunch of east coast big city libs. Foreman said gun is fine, just keep it discreet the best you can. Day 4 saw the bear and went from discreet to semi prepared, and got outed. Was told not to shoot a bear to save a libs life by a Dr from Massachusetts, and said don’t worry, that was never my plan anyway. (see previous paragraph)

Put in a plug for Hawley Mountain Guest Ranch, 42 miles south of Big Timber. Rustic, built on a rock on the side of a Mountain, and took care of us like you wouldn’t believe. Gained 7 pounds!!!

We had horses for 10 years, 15 years ago. I’m not a cowboy. Horse is Red Cloud, made me look like I knew what I was doing. Trip was a retirement party for me, from our daughter. We had a party of 7. It was a blast. 47 years trucking and I just got back from renewing my license to a non CDL.

1719353693302.jpeg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom