• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bold115uc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2024
    Milan
    I’ve actually yet to fire anything in .40. Everything handgun I own is either 9mm, .45, .357, .44, .38, lol I’m probably forgetting something. Haven’t felt the need to try .40. I got a bunch of boxes for free and gave them to a friend who swears .40 is superior to all. (Shrugs shoulders…idk).

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I bought a leo trade in Sig P226. It is the first 40 I’ve ever had or shot. I absolutely love it. It has quickly moved to one of favorite spots. That being said, I don’t carry hog legs. I carry pocket pistols. So unless I’m storming the Beaches of San Juan, it won’t be on my hip or in my pocket.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm waiting on a police trade in of M&P 40S&W 2.0 for around $300
    Some years back when the police trade in 1.0 M&P 40S&W pistols were common, I got two of them cheap.

I replaced the Sear Housing Blocks with the upgraded ones that have the larger Sear return spring, and I replaced the Striker Assemblies with the upgraded ones.

Being a big fan of the .357 Sig round, I also bought OEM .357 Sig barrels to swap in.
    This along with Underwood .357 Sig 125grain JHP at 1475fps makes a potent self defense pistol.

I NOW have two sweet shooting .357 Sig/.40 M&P's that I don't have much money in.
    Which is good, because when I carry these if God forbid I have to lawfully use one for self defense, it won't bite as bad when the police steal it from me and never return it, even though I did nothing wrong.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Does the M&P fully support the case? That was the problem with the early Glocks, not full support. Gave the 40 a bad name.
    The issue wasn’t the Glock the issue was people tried to reload the cases way too many times and resizing the buldge one too many times. And I saw millions of 40 cal ammo go down range from Glocks at FLETC with no issues but somehow a few folks do what they do and it’s a problem!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The issue wasn’t the Glock the issue was people tried to reload the cases way too many times and resizing the buldge one too many times. And I saw millions of 40 cal ammo go down range from Glocks at FLETC with no issues but somehow a few folks do what they do and it’s a problem!
    10mm is okay as long as you don't push it to far with Gen 3 Glock barrels.
    If you try to take it to full 10mm potential then you get those glock smiles. Totally ruin the cases.
    Stay within the Glock barrel limits, and you'll do fine. Or change out the barrel for a better supported chamber.
    This isn't mine but I had a few do this.
    I can shoot those same loads in a 1911 barrel with no problems.
    This is just a picture of what i call Glock smiles.
    1717870981131.png

Patrick Taylor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2018
    Leitchfield Kentucky
    I have or have had .40s in the M&P , Glock and 1911 formats. Seen quite a few forums over the years complain how it is hard to handle....usually not far from a thread where the same posters talk about how they can bench 300lbs.

The +P and +p+ 9mm loads fell just like shooting 40s to me. Cheap training ball ammo the 9s are a little softer shooting but defensive ammo to me is not that much different in recoil.

I still shoot more 40 than anything but I also reload so the cheap brass is much of the reason I shoot it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have or have had .40s in the M&P , Glock and 1911 formats. Seen quite a few forums over the years complain how it is hard to handle....usually not far from a thread where the same posters talk about how they can bench 300lbs.

The +P and +p+ 9mm loads fell just like shooting 40s to me. Cheap training ball ammo the 9s are a little softer shooting but defensive ammo to me is not that much different in recoil.

I still shoot more 40 than anything but I also reload so the cheap brass is much of the reason I shoot it.
    Why do people shoot +p+? If you need that much extra get a more powerful round, and pistol that can handle it.
    It makes no sense to me. If your 9mm isn't made for +p+ it's just going to breakdown at some point, parts failure etc.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Why do people shoot +p+? If you need that much extra get a more powerful round, and pistol that can handle it.
    It makes no sense to me. If your 9mm isn't made for +p+ it's just going to breakdown at some point, parts failure etc.

Like BBi pointed marketing. And the fact most people don’t realize FT pounds of energy don’t matter as much as penetration or expansion.

Standard 9mm 124 HST close to 1,200 FPS out of a 4 to 4.5” barrel that’s lower level 357 mag (rem Goldman saber comes to mind) probably sufficient for most folks scenarios

I will say the plus p plus has its share of folks like bowling pin shooters that like the increase which I can see but then again like with the 38 special what some folks tag as plus p plus probably wasn’t a few yeas ago so there’s that.

(Just talked in general ways we all can cherry pick loads that are exceptions)

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Reminds me of the occasional person who will ridicule using a .357 Sig 125 grain JHP and claim a 9mm +p+ 125 grain JHP is just as good.

Besides shooting 9mm +p+ is gonna beat the pistol up, there's no 9mm +p+ 125 Grain JHP (even Underwood) that will equal the velocity of Underwood .357 Sig 125 grain JHP at 1475fps.
    PLUS the .357 Sig pistol is designed to fire that round without having to use over pressure +p+ ammo

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Reminds me of the occasional person who will ridicule using a .357 Sig 125 grain JHP and claim a 9mm +p+ 125 grain JHP is just as good.

Besides shooting 9mm +p+ is gonna beat the pistol up, there's no 9mm +p+ 125 Grain JHP (even Underwood) that will equal the velocity of Underwood .357 Sig 125 grain JHP at 1475fps.
    PLUS the .357 Sig pistol is designed to fire that round without having to use over pressure +p+ ammo
    That’s not all the way a factual comparison. 357 Sig like a couple rounds can’t be plus p because it already in a standard loading has 40,000 PSI (the new 30 Super Carry is 50,000)

9mm plus p plus is 38-39,000 PSI.

Also the 358 Sig while advertised at 1450 in a service size gun it’s more around 1,300-1350 on the big standard companies only the boutique rounds like Buffalo Bore Double tap and etc will you maybe get that 1,400-1,400 out of a 3.9-4.5” barrel.

By boutique rounds I am referring to rounds most stores don’t carry but they do carry Win, Rem Hornady Speer Federal

38 Super (what 357 Sig really is) you can find 130 gr bullets at 1,250-1,400 out of a 5” (it was designed for 1911’s in the late 1920’s) Some of the boutique rounds you can get heavier and faster

The standard 38 Super has a PSai is 33,000. However a lot of USPssA shooters ous 38 Super in open Major guns. That cause a whole gamut of high pressure rounds off the 38 Super case in the late 1990’s like 38 TJ (after Todd Jerret them 9x23mm etc. those were really true high pressure 357 mag type comparable rounds.
    So while the 357 Sig performed well and is a good round (though expensive and high pressures) that whole 357 Mag in an auto was pure marketing and departments bought it in droves

Last edited:
    Top Bottom