• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    That is interesting! I didn't know any large agencies still carried the .40 caliber. We went away from it in the early 2000's, I believe. We went to the 9mm and then back to the .45 ACP which we still carry today. The rumors are we will be switching to the 9mm when we get a new Super. Sig has discontinued the Sig 227 so it makes sense.
    Yeah I think California, Illinois, SD and NH all state agencies might be the only ones still Running 40. (sad has like 200 and some Troopers so not sure if that is what you call a major agency LOL)

An acquaintance teaches at Illinois academy and says he doesn’t think their state will leave 40 anytime soon.

Even Alaska went to 9mm LOL

Pennsylvania Troopera dumped their Sig 227 this year for a Walther PDP and Red Dot and I think Virginia and maybe NC are the last two holdouts in 357 Sig

The. I am sure there are a lot of 40’s in holsters of both LAPD and LASD but your talking probably 16,000 plus Officers/Deputies so lots of older guys running what they have ran for a while!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    That is interesting! I didn't know any large agencies still carried the .40 caliber. We went away from it in the early 2000's, I believe. We went to the 9mm and then back to the .45 ACP which we still carry today. The rumors are we will be switching to the 9mm when we get a new Super. Sig has discontinued the Sig 227 so it makes sense.

Sorry for the second quote had to find this. I like to follow where I use to live does Arkansas, SD Montana etc

camaroz2808

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    9mm is more than capable with more capacity. I do like my 10mm. When I'm reloading my plinking ammo it's loaded a little less but still superior to the .40.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

P227 was a good idea way too late. If they'd released it during the Clinton AWB it would have been a runaway success, I think. I traded for one, but eventually traded it for another P220 to not have to stock the (fairly expensive) magazines.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    P227 was a good idea way too late. If they'd released it during the Clinton AWB it would have been a runaway success, I think. I traded for one, but eventually traded it for another P220 to not have to stock the (fairly expensive) magazines.
    You are probably right however for me the substantial larger grip on the 227 for only gaining 2 rounds is not worth the trade off.
    I feel the 220 is almost perfect for an 8+ 1 gun like a DA/SA Commander if you will.

That’s just me though!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This thread is back?

What more do we need. 40 S&W Sucks.. it no longer needs to exist. It will continue on in Zombie mode, as there are far to many under priced guns no one wants. But its days as a front runner cartridge are over.

So enjoy the LE cheap gun dumping while it lasts.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I may actually buy a .40 for the first time in about 20 years to shoot at the Pin Shoot next year.
    Last time I shot pins was about 20 years ago. The .40 (Walther P99) had no problems removing the pins from the table. A police trade in Glock would be a good addition. Then invest in a 9mm conversion barrel and have a great extra pistol laying around.

Or just use it as an excuse to buy that 1911 in .45 ACP that I know you have been wanting.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Last time I shot pins was about 20 years ago. The .40 (Walther P99) had no problems removing the pins from the table. A police trade in Glock would be a good addition. Then invest in a 9mm conversion barrel and have a great extra pistol laying around.

Or just use it as an excuse to buy that 1911 in .45 ACP that I know you have been wanting.
    I used a 1911 in Stock this year. The .40 would be for the concealed carry division, you can run a dot.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You are probably right however for me the substantial larger grip on the 227 for only gaining 2 rounds is not worth the trade off.

That's where I ended up. If I'm carrying a P227, I may as well carry the P226. Mags being nearly $50 a pop and difficult to obtain vs $20 for P220 or P226 and basically everywhere all the time was a big differentiator. During the 10 round magazine limit, though, I think it would have caught on more. Anecdotally, I think the mag limits helped the .45 Auto as well.

I still love the P220 as a great all around gun.

Top Bottom