• ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Hell yeah!

I took a little ride, down by the water, today. Seen two bank fishermen and two boats. I spoke with 3 of the four and they had nothin. All were wearing coats and looked ch-ch-chilly. I was quite cool in the filtered sunshine on the XT600.

The boy and I would love to join you on Lemon one of these days to learn the ways of catching crappie!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The boy and I would love to join you on Lemon one of these days to learn the ways of catching crappie!

We'll have a large time when you get around to getting up here! I gotta warn you though, I'm pretty unsuccessful at showing others the way. Often I've been skunked when fishing with others. I harvest the most fish alone.

Honestly, I still wouldn't call myself a good crappie fisherman. I have been fortunate enough to put a few pounds in the freezer in recent years by virtue of the fact I'm close enough to the water to get there and back quickly. I catch my fish through being there with them a bunch and rubbernecking other anglers fishing the very public waterways nearby.

Now I'm gonna fire up the bike and go rubberneck.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    I'm up north by the state line.I'm still fishing through the ice in IN and MI.A couple more days and it will probably over.Still have my after dark crappie spot producing and have a couple sets of boxsprings and 2x12's at the ready when the shore ice gets to thin.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I didn't count them, but there was a fair amount of boats out on Lake lemon today.
    CameraZOOM-20130310125032671_zps2ba50090.jpg

I didn't see much in the way of rod bending though. The boaters all had winter coats on.

No one I spoke with had any luck from the bank. Hopefully the cold spell this next week won't set us back too awful much?

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I got out on Saturday and twice (between coats of paint) on Sunday. Small pond near my house. Saturday, I caught a small largemouth and a bluegill on a cream and black wooly bugger. First fish in 2013, and first fish on a fly that I actually tied. Sunday, only managed one small largemouth on a red and gold bead head wooly bugger. Got some practice throwing larger flies into a stiff breeze, which should come in handy next month when I fish the flats in Florida for bones.

20130309_133226_zpse82126dc.jpg

20130223_152039_zps86bfa257.jpg

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I'm originally from Northeastern Pennsylvania... I'm a trout fisherman.. (fly and ultra light tackle) I just can't get the hang of fishing out here in the flat lands.. put me where there's fast moving water, and I can find the fish.. out here in the flat lands, there is NO fast moving water! lol.. I've caught about 4 fish since moving out here, and none of them are anything I would admit to. Its a little depressing!

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm originally from Northeastern Pennsylvania... I'm a trout fisherman.. (fly and ultra light tackle) I just can't get the hang of fishing out here in the flat lands.. put me where there's fast moving water, and I can find the fish.. out here in the flat lands, there is NO fast moving water! lol.. I've caught about 4 fish since moving out here, and none of them are anything I would admit to. Its a little depressing!

I love river/stream fishing for trout on a fly rod. When it warms up a bit, try a hopper or popper on the surface, and you'll get some bass slamming the fly. Cast it out, let the fly sit for a few seconds until the ripples go away, then strip back in. Cast along the shore. The surface disruption make the largemouth bass go crazy. As for fishing now or late fall when the fish are slow and deep, take a wooly bugger and cast out into the deep water, and fish really slow. Make sure to let the fly sink to the bottom. It's not as exciting as seeing the bass strike on the surface, but you will still catch some fish. Good luck.

ETA: As for spin fishing, the top water baits work really when the fish are feeding on the surface (obviously). Also, try a wacky-rigged worm, the bass around here seem to like them. Spinners and crank-baits in the spring also work well when the bass are in the shallows chasing bait fish. Once I got back into fly fishing, I never pick up my spin tackle. Something about battling a 4-6 pound largemouth on a 5wt. really gets my blood pumping. Although, landing a 20+" bow on the river does the same thing.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I haven't gone since moving here in 08. I am old and lazy LOL. Really interested in doing so though. Need to find some great spots that do not tax a 70 year old body. Also interested in some camp grounds are great for tent camping.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I haven't gone since moving here in 08. I am old and lazy LOL. Really interested in doing so though. Need to find some great spots that do not tax a 70 year old body. Also interested in some camp grounds are great for tent camping.

I know a place that you can drive right to, but you'll need a truck or SUV, you have to cross 3 creeks, and it's rough and muddy, but you can camp right on the pond, it's the Owen-Putnam forest, nice little place to fish, but that's all the secrets I'm giving up in public :D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know a place that you can drive right to, but you'll need a truck or SUV, you have to cross 3 creeks, and it's rough and muddy, but you can camp right on the pond, it's the Owen-Putnam forest, nice little place to fish, but that's all the secrets I'm giving up in public :D

Green Sullivan is similar without the need for 4WD.
    DNR: Greene-Sullivan State Forest

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I'd love to go fly fishing sometime. Being from Texas, and having only fished the coast, finding a place to fish was not eady. I did my best to fish around the ponds and at Eagle Creek lake. Didn't catch a lot. Towards the end of the season, I met a relative that has a lake house. I was able to make up for lost time. The problem I was told was I was fishing when it was too hot, and the fish had gone to deeper water. I didn't realize it was that hot, I'm looking for a better year this year.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'd love to go fly fishing sometime. Being from Texas, and having only fished the coast, finding a place to fish was not eady. I did my best to fish around the ponds and at Eagle Creek lake. Didn't catch a lot. Towards the end of the season, I met a relative that has a lake house. I was able to make up for lost time. The problem I was told was I was fishing when it was too hot, and the fish had gone to deeper water. I didn't realize it was that hot, I'm looking for a better year this year.

There are a few of us INGO fly fishermen that are trying to organize a meet over some beers or coffee soon. Hopefully we'll get a good turnout, and we can get some actual time on the rods for the next one, and possibly a Brookville Tailwaters trip down the line.

I see you are in Carmel, have you tried the neighborhood ponds? I grew up there, and had good luck catching bass and bluegill from those ponds. What part of Carmel do you live? I could possibly give you some pointers as to which ponds are good. Also, I took a fly fishing class (refresher, as it had been 10 years) and we fished at the Monon Center. There are quite a few bluegill there, and some small bass.

Top Bottom