• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We will go on Election Day like always. We went several years ago and they said we had to sign something stating we would be away on election day in order to vote absentee. The wife wouldn't sign it... too honest.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I just came back. The voting machine was just like last time. Electronic. You make your selections, print the ballot, then put your printed ballot through the counting machine. The ballot printed reflected my vote, so no shenanigans on that part at least.

We don't have such a thing as early voting on that side of the pond.
    It's interesting.

How long did that take Sam?
    I read it takes hours sometimes, must be in large cities.
    It never takes more than 5 minutes when I go voting.

In my county we have early voting at the County Clerk's office. I didn't have to wait on anyone. There was no line.

I went to vote in Indy in 2008 (I didn't vote but was with my lady who did).
    I was surprised I had to go thru security like at an airport to enter the building, we don't have that over here.

Last time I voted at our city hall I had a pocket knife clipped to my pocket, nobody said anything.

I guess it's depend where your local voting station is located.

Most voting on election day in my district is done at schools, churches or libraries. I've never had to go through security in those places. But early voting in my county is done at the county clerk's office, which is in the same building as the county court. So that's why there's security. The security checkpoint has been there for the last few years.

The treasurer's office is in the same building so if I pay my property taxes in person, I have to go through the exray machine. It's not that there's some inherent danger in paying my taxes, it's that the courts are in the same building.

We will go on Election Day like always. We went several years ago and they said we had to sign something stating we would be away on election day in order to vote absentee. The wife wouldn't sign it... too honest.

You don't need to do an absentee ballot to vote early.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I just came back. The voting machine was just like last time. Electronic. You make your selections, print the ballot, then put your printed ballot through the counting machine. The ballot printed reflected my vote, so no shenanigans on that part at least.

In my county we have early voting at the County Clerk's office. I didn't have to wait on anyone. There was no line.

Most voting on election day in my district is done at schools, churches or libraries. I've never had to go through security in those places. But early voting in my county is done at the county clerk's office, which is in the same building as the county court. So that's why there's security. The security checkpoint has been there for the last few years.

The treasurer's office is in the same building so if I pay my property taxes in person, I have to go through the exray machine. It's not that there's some inherent danger in paying my taxes, it's that the courts are in the same building.

You don't need to do an absentee ballot to vote early.

Don't you mean through a metal detector and your bag and other stuff through an X-ray machine?
    I don't think they make people walk through X-ray machine.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Don't you mean through a metal detector and your bag and other stuff through an X-ray machine?
    I don't think they make people walk through X-ray machine.

Yes. I mispoke. My wallet when through the x-ray. I went through the metal detector.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    370   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Monday began expanded early voting in Vanderburgh County. Polling places at most public libraries. No extra security or anything. I typically go to the public library near my office downtown to vote. I chose this year to go on day 1. Fifteen minutes before the doors opened there were roughly 25 people in line. Four machines and two poll workers and it was a short 30 minute wait.

In the past the hours were longer and I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes. Worth it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm old school. Its not the same if I dont get up early, stand in line, get harassed by the old ladies manning the books, then feed my scantron form to the scanner and verify it counted the ballot (and it is smart enough to warn if it didnt read a vote for a candidate) .

Voting outside of an election day just doesnt feel right to me. (absentee not withstanding)

And I am a firm believer in scannable paper ballots. MUCH harder to tamper with the votes. (if you want to change votes you have to manipulate physical matter (paper) not simply change bits in computer memory)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm old school. Its not the same if I dont get up early, stand in line, get harassed by the old ladies manning the books, then feed my scantron form to the scanner and verify it counted the ballot (and it is smart enough to warn if it didnt read a vote for a candidate) .

Voting outside of an election day just doesnt feel right to me. (absentee not withstanding)

And I am a firm believer in scannable paper ballots. MUCH harder to tamper with the votes. (if you want to change votes you have to manipulate physical matter (paper) not simply change bits in computer memory)

I've pretty much thought that way for years. But after standing in line for 1.5 hours last time I decided I would vote early this time.

BTW, the machines I used were essentially like scantrons. You pick your choices through a graphical user interface. When you're done you tap the "print" button. Then it prints out a paper ballot with your choice in print, and a series of computer readable dots, much like the scantron ballots you fill out with the #2 pencil. You then feed the printed ballot into the scanning machine, which tallies your choices.

The scantron machines themselves aren't any more reliable than the machines that scan the computer generated ballots. They're not mechanical. They use optics to scan the dots, then process those electronically. That firmware can be manipulated just like any program.

The one flaw I don't like in the machine I used, is that there isn't a human readable link between what it prints out as your choices and what the dots mean. My ballot printed out the text of my choices and the dots those choices represent, but I have no way to know the dots actually mean the same as the text. For that reason I think any electronic voting system should have open source software/firmware so that anyone can inspect it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I vote early because it's a work day and like Sam I never know what my schedule will be. Nobody knocks on doors out here in the woods so I never have that to deal with, even the Jehovah's Witness people stay off the road to Aintry.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh, even voting early there was still some voting bureaucracy different stations to process you through, and old ladies to be harassed by at each bureaucracy. But at the end of it all, the last old lady barked instructions at me on what to do with my printed ballot, and when I finished she thanked me for voting and gave me a sticker.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Since I'm out of town for work every week, I took the opportunity last Friday afternoon to go vote. Even in little ol' Hendricks County, the early voting line in Danville was an hour long.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Oh, even voting early there was still some voting bureaucracy different stations to process you through, and old ladies to be harassed by at each bureaucracy. But at the end of it all, the last old lady barked instructions at me on what to do with my printed ballot, and when I finished she thanked me for voting and gave me a sticker.
    So, I researched what I needed to do to vote absentee-in-person, before going to vote. The instructions included printing an absentee-in-person application. I dutifully downloaded, filled out, saved, and printed said application. When I got to the polling place, I noticed the old lady giving each person the same application, taken from a stack of applications, to sign. When I reached her, I attempted to hand her my already-completed application. She looked at it like it was a dead baby, and said, "Where did you get THAT?!?" I told her that I printed it from the website. She said, "well, we don't need that." She then scanned my driver's license, and attempted to hand me the same application, from her stack. I said, "Um, isn't that exactly what I just tried to hand you?" She said, "Yes, but let's use this one anyway," and made me sign a new one.

Bureaucracy: gotta love it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So, I researched what I needed to do to vote absentee-in-person, before going to vote. The instructions included printing an absentee-in-person application. I dutifully downloaded, filled out, saved, and printed said application. When I got to the polling place, I noticed the old lady giving each person the same application, taken from a stack of applications, to sign. When I reached her, I attempted to hand her my already-completed application. She looked at it like it was a dead baby, and said, "Where did you get THAT?!?" I told her that I printed it from the website. She said, "well, we don't need that." She then scanned my driver's license, and attempted to hand me the same application, from her stack. I said, "Um, isn't that exactly what I just tried to hand you?" She said, "Yes, but let's use this one anyway," and made me sign a new one.

Bureaucracy: gotta love it.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they have a count of the ballots. An extra one in the stack could set off alarms.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Voted on Monday. Had to wait a few minutes to get a machine so I asked the poll worker how turn outs been. They said it was even higher than in 08 & 12. They believed it was going to be the best early turn out for them.

On a side note after I voted I went and had lunch with a friend who's a staunch Democrat and gets a kick out of claiming he negates my vote since he knows I lean Republican. The funny thing about it is he admitted that when he went to vote, looked at the names, he just couldn't vote for the person he thought he would so he sheepishly stated that he didn't negate my vote this time around. Of course he also said I shouldn't get used to it, there's always the midterms. :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've pretty much thought that way for years. But after standing in line for 1.5 hours last time I decided I would vote early this time.

BTW, the machines I used were essentially like scantrons. You pick your choices through a graphical user interface. When you're done you tap the "print" button. Then it prints out a paper ballot with your choice in print, and a series of computer readable dots, much like the scantron ballots you fill out with the #2 pencil. You then feed the printed ballot into the scanning machine, which tallies your choices.

The scantron machines themselves aren't any more reliable than the machines that scan the computer generated ballots. They're not mechanical. They use optics to scan the dots, then process those electronically. That firmware can be manipulated just like any program.

The one flaw I don't like in the machine I used, is that there isn't a human readable link between what it prints out as your choices and what the dots mean. My ballot printed out the text of my choices and the dots those choices represent, but I have no way to know the dots actually mean the same as the text. For that reason I think any electronic voting system should have open source software/firmware so that anyone can inspect it.

I agree. But in the event of a recount, you cant exactly shake all the ORIGINAL electronic bits out onto the table and count them by hand like a paper ballot.

Make them on paper, counted by computer. We can solve for computer glitches with human eyes on a paper form after the fact. You cant do this with a 100% electronic vote:
    (there is no guarantee what was printed out after the fact was inputted by the voter up front if the software was altered to count votes incorrectly)
    persily8e-1-web.jpg

And that scares the crap out of me. So says me, the computer guy... Im not some technophobe. I KNOW what you can do with computers and its scary. What the front end says isnt necessarily what the back end does. Another vote for open source software on the voting machines.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom