• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    just got my first manual bout 4 months ago. a '95 Sonoma.

It was a bit of an adjustment but now I'm so use to it that i have a hard time driving automatics.

The worst part is when you stomp your left foot on the floorboard before turning the ignition. "Oops, forgot I don't do that in this car."

Or when you stop and turn off the car, engage the parking brake, then try to remove the key, but can't! "What the heck!? Why is the freakin' key stuck?! .... Aw, bloody... *puts it in park* Stupid automatics!"

The only way to be fully in control of your vehicle is to own a stick. All my cars have been and will be stick shifts, unless government bans them. I think that if everyone owned a stick shift you would see far fewer traffic accidents.

I agree about being in control. I have resolved to never buy a car with an automatic transmission, even if it has the "manual mode" to let you tell it when to shift. I don't want the computer trying to decide what gear it needs to be in for the conditions or messing with where the power is. I know how the car works, and I can handle it just fine on my own!

this argument always makes me laugh,people think that driving a stick makes them skilled automobile drivers because they have an ability most people have lost with the change of times. For the stick drivers, how many of your vehicles have power steering , traction control,or anti lock brakes ? for those of you that do, why do you have those ? being a big manly man should surely allow you to handle that vehicle with out them.

You guys can have my man card when you take them from the m1 abrams tank operators. after all m1 abrams are automatics

lol all in good fun

Yeah, I wouldn't say that driving a stick makes you a better driver. Agree with ya there. But I DO think that all student drivers should be taught how to drive a stick shift in Driver's Ed. It is important to know how to drive a standard transmission, even if you prefer not to.

And as for the rest of it... our cars don't have ABS. It was an option for each of the models, but never included. Oh wait, maybe dad's new truck has it (the Titan), but none of the other ones we've ever owned.

Power steering is nice, but I started on a car that didn't have it. I really liked that Sentra. It didn't have power ANYthing. Brakes, steering, windows, locks—nothing. The truck I drove in high school and college had only P/B and P/S. I don't see P/S and P/B as taking away because it just means you don't have to use as much strength, but the driver still has to do all the work. Traction control starts taking control away from the driver, though, because it starts making decisions for you.

Its mostly a personal thing.

Having just converted to stick, i have noticed that i have to be more aware of what is happening farther ahead of me so i know what gear i need to be in an when.

But other than that, no real change.

Yeah, increased awareness. You see a light waaay up ahead that's yellow, just put the clutch in and coast for a while and it may be green when you get there. You can squeeze a lot more efficiency out of a standard transmission by playing nicely with hills, coasting, and so forth, if you're exercising good situational awareness.

I taught my 15 year old daughter how to drive the colorado. She keeps bugging me to drive the suburban (ain't gonna happen). I keep telling her "You can't drive the suburban. You don't know HOW to drive an AUTOMATIC!" LOLOLOLOL. Atleast I thought it was funny. Her... not so much... lol

:lmfao: Hey, it's tough! See what mk2ja said above:
    The worst part is when you stomp your left foot on the floorboard before turning the ignition. "Oops, forgot I don't do that in this car."

Or when you stop and turn off the car, engage the parking brake, then try to remove the key, but can't! "What the heck!? Why is the freakin' key stuck?! .... Aw, bloody... *puts it in park* Stupid automatics!"

How is it that for racing autos are better? Maybe for bracket style drag racing. But FYI two years in a row, first time out for the year I brought home the first place trophy in the Wed night Trophy race at Muncie Dragway in the street tire class, and guess what it was with a manual in a bracket race ;) Most cars are faster with a manual as long as they have a decent driver, plus they normally get better mileage as well. Also look at any 90% or more of the cars at a road course, SCCA autocross event, or basically any racing event other than maybe drag racing. And you're gonna find manual transmissions in the cars. ;)

I definitely think you can get more performance out of the standards. For instance, by making it wait longer before shifting up (mimicked by some "sport modes", yes). Or trying to take a quick turn? Downshifting keeps the RPMs up, slows the car down, and sets you up perfectly to take off out of the turn on the other side with minimal braking. I'm sorry, but you just can't do that in an automatic! You've gotta use the brakes a lot more, which messes up the engine speed for the quick take-off.

These days the only reason to get a manual is because you enjoy the experience of rowing your own gears, and who doesn't? I know I do.

But a properly designed and built auto will beat a manual in pretty much every way but fun factor. They can shift faster than any person physically can, they are to the point where they are as efficient and can achieve the same or better mileage with no detriment to performance. Also easier to tune for your power/gearing/tires with stall converters, etc.

I Know that my mustang would easily beat an identical car with equal mods and equal rear end gearing with a stick. More consistent, faster shifts, better launches, etc.

Still at times I wish my mustang was a stick shift.

Manauls would be better for most autocross type racing though.

An automatic may be able to keep up with, or in some cases beat, an otherwise identical car with a stick shift off the line in straight acceleration, but there is a lot more to driving than just taking off from a standstill. I always like the increased responsiveness of a stick shift when I need to pass somebody on a highway, too. Takes too long when you floor the automatic for it to downshift and give you the power you need. I find myself waiting for it to kick in, but in a standard transmission, I tell it when I want the power, and I get it RIGHT THEN.

Oh they were ugly! I think Dad paid $250.00 for it. But, it is what we had and it ran forever. It was a work car for Dad and a good one for my brother and I to learn how to drive the stick. As for the economic situation, eh! I'm just getting lazy in my experienced years. :D

Your "experienced years"! Haha, rep inbound if I have any left to give. (ETA - nope, out of rep for these 24 hours :( )

Every car I have ever owned was a stick shift. I had never driven an automatic until I was 20 years old and didn't care for it. I learned to drive a stick shift at 12 years old. Would never buy an automatic.

Attagirl!

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    My first car was a 1980 VW Diesel Rabbit. Got 53 mpg on the highway, but couldn't get over 57 mph, unless I drafted something. I could hold the 65 speed limit up I-65, if I was 4 car lengths back on a big rig. :) I was glad this was a stick, as the electrical system got screwed up and I had to drive it for 2 months by push starting it.

Talk about a lost art. I'm repping you for that when this post is finished.

:+1: Another great benefit of the standards! I've had to push start a few times. Very handy. Sometimes if I was in a real hurry, I'd hop in the truck, release the parking break so it'd start rolling down the driveway while I put on my seatbelt, then when I was ready, I'd be about to the street, so I'd just pop the clutch and be on my way! It was like a self-push-start.

I can always get the car rolling faster than in an automatic, too, since they have to be put into gear. The stick I always leave in gear, so I just start it up and let out the clutch and I'm already on my way.

I do miss being able to down shift, and the manual shifting auto isn't as smooth when down shifting. But it is nice to have an extra hand free.

Mmmm downshifting... always miss that when I get stuck in an auto.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    All my daily drivers have been auto but I learned on a 48 Willys jeep when I was about 8 and when I got my license I could drive this
    P3290074.jpg

It's got a sbc302 an 3 spd. It's fun but squirrelly. I figure I shift enough gears during harvest to make up for having an auto daily driver.
    Heres my 10spd I drive in the fall
    photo-1.jpg

Beautiful set of wheels!

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I drive a chevy truck, 4 speed + granny. put alot of work into the drive train and she's a monster.
    My girlfreind drives a 5 speed jeep wrangler.
    My first car was a red t-top 1996 Z-28 6 speed. Wrapped it around a parked explorer the first winter.:rolleyes:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Not only men know how to drive a stick. :rockwoot: I have driven many a stick on the floor and on the column. I used to like them but as I get older I like the convenience of the automatic. I must admit I had plenty of fun learning to drive a stick which was the first way I was taught to drive.
    I dont remember which make or models all of them were. When I grew up lots of the boys had sticks (shifts) and they would let me drive so they could drink mainly. :rolleyes:

treeman22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Indy North
    I learned to drive with an automatic, but drive a stick now. I like driving a stick, but NOT in the city. If I stay living in the city, my next car will be an auto. If I move out to the county, I'm getting a stick.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    my first truck was a 1971 3/4 ton chevy , stick shift . I wish I still had it . The guy I sold it to rolled it .
    My current Truck is a 2004 Ranger Stick shift

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    4 spd, 5 spd, 3 on the tree. . . .no problemo!! I made sure both of my daughters knew how to drive a standard although I didn't try to explain the nuances of column shift to them!

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Kinda still on subject in the UK ... if you pass your driving test in a stick shift you can drive both stick & auto, however if you pass in an auto that is all you can drive unless you take another test ... in Europe 95% of the cars are manual while over in the US 95% of cars are automatic, stick shifts have more power, better torque and better gas mileage.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Kinda still on subject in the UK ... if you pass your driving test in a stick shift you can drive both stick & auto, however if you pass in an auto that is all you can drive unless you take another test ... in Europe 95% of the cars are manual while over in the US 95% of cars are automatic, stick shifts have more power, better torque and better gas mileage.

Well, I hate to admit it, but I finally discovered one things the Europeans do better than we do.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    I told my wife that our sons first car will be a manual...Even if I have to rebuild one I buy from the salvage yard. I'm talking old school manual non of this pansie manual safty assist crap. A real gear grinder!....My son is 11 months old, so by the time he's old enough to drive chances are I will have to rebuild one. Unless I can convince the wife to let me buy a 68 FireBird Convertable. Stop Laughing!, After all a guy can dream.
    In all seriousness a Stick is the best way to learn how to drive.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Currently all three cars I own are manual, and I'm the only one in my family to continue the row your own ideology.....its what I learned on, its what I like, and its what I'll always drive

95 sho, 05 Redline, 95 bmw......woot all 5sp....lol

when I drove for the mecum auctions last may I got to learn the 3 on the tree in a 40 ford opera coupe, the glories of foot starters in a 3sp floor shift 32 chevy 5 window, a $170k gt500 and $240k gt350 in the top loader variety and newer manual stuff....lol

Last edited:

McMark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    I learned to drive on a manual and still drive one from time to time. I'll be teaching my son how to drive manual. I think you get a better appreciation of the driving experience and another valuable skill.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    this argument always makes me laugh,people think that driving a stick makes them skilled automobile drivers because they have an ability most people have lost with the change of times. For the stick drivers, how many of your vehicles have power steering , traction control,or anti lock brakes ? for those of you that do, why do you have those ? being a big manly man should surely allow you to handle that vehicle with out them.

You guys can have my man card when you take them from the m1 abrams tank operators. after all m1 abrams are automatics

lol all in good fun
    No, my manual doesn't have those, except the power steering. But let's not confuse the issue here. Safety features don't have diddly to do with driving ability. (Neither should power steering be lumped in the same category as traction control or anti-lock brakes.)

Besides, all those safety devices have probably created more poor drivers than good ones. Over-dependence on the feature at the expense of driving skill. Steering out of a skid? What the hell is that?

These days the only reason to get a manual is because you enjoy the experience of rowing your own gears, and who doesn't? I know I do.

But a properly designed and built auto will beat a manual in pretty much every way but fun factor. They can shift faster than any person physically can, they are to the point where they are as efficient and can achieve the same or better mileage with no detriment to performance. Also easier to tune for your power/gearing/tires with stall converters, etc.

I Know that my mustang would easily beat an identical car with equal mods and equal rear end gearing with a stick. More consistent, faster shifts, better launches, etc.

Still at times I wish my mustang was a stick shift.

Manauls would be better for most autocross type racing though.

It's not so much how fast they shift as when they shift. I've never met an automatic that didn't wait until damn near red-lining before shifting if stomping hard on the gas. With a manual I can shift whenever I want to. No amount of faster shifting is gonna outweigh that one for me.

Can autos skip a gear for efficiency? There are times when going through all of them in sequence is worse.

boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    All the cars I have bought for myself have been manuals. I had 2 autos that I drove the first time through college that I was fortunate enough to have my parents buy for me. I wised up and got into more fun cars after that, though (and have spent the last 8 years learning how to turn dollars into tire smoke autocrossing and doing lapping days in my various cars). Now that I am married and have a kiddo on the way, I am considering getting an automatic family car in the spring, mainly because although my wife can drive a manual, she's not super comfortable doing it.

Top Bottom