• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've only owned 2 manuals, but I MUCH prefer them. My wife can't drive a clutch, so anything that she may need to drive is an auto. My old Jeep CJ is a stick. When shopping for my daily-driver Jeep, I wanted a stick, but settled for an auto (so SOMEONE could borrow it now and then :rolleyes: ).

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I like my trucks automatics, but I prefer manuals on everything else.

My first car was a 1980 VW Diesel Rabbit. Got 53 mpg on the highway, but couldn't get over 57 mph, unless I drafted something. I could hold the 65 speed limit up I-65, if I was 4 car lengths back on a big rig. :) I was glad this was a stick, as the electrical system got screwed up and I had to drive it for 2 months by push starting it.

Talk about a lost art. I'm repping you for that when this post is finished.

i currently have a 1989 mustang 5.0 5spd and a 86 camaro with 4spd auto. and i gotta say i prefer autos.

Man card! Hand it over, now. :D
    and for all racing purposes autos are much better

Wow. I wonder why the entire racing industry is still stuck in the dark ages then.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    I learned to drive on a manual and prefer it hands down. It POed me when I found that it is damn near impossible to get a full size truck with a manual transmission anymore.

agreed but then again I prefer the older model (early 80's toyota)

I've had nothing but manual's
    1983 jeep
    1985 nissan maxima
    1998 mazda truck
    and motorcycles...

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    First car was a Pontiac Tempest with a slant 4 and an automatic which I think was located just before the rear axle. Second car was a 50's Triumph, stick
    Other sticks I have owned.

60's Sunbeam Alpine
    59 MGA Coupe
    Triumph Spitfire
    62? Ford Sedan
    64? Triumph TR4
    73 Mazda RX3
    46 Jeep
    60s Jeep
    80 or 90's Volkswagen Cabrio
    late 90's Volkswagen Jetta Diesel
    Early 2000's Volkswagen Passat
    Mid 90's Jeep YJ
    Late 90's Jeep TJ

I now drive an 06 Mazda RX8 stick. Love it.

If you have to drive downtown much during rush hour, an automatic is great and I have a Cherokee automatic for that.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I've owned a couple of sticks, including my current car. Been there, done that. I drive 90% in town and the constant shifting from stop-and-go driving sucks. My next will be automatic.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Wow. I wonder why the entire racing industry is still stuck in the dark ages then.
    well formula 1 cars have a semi automatic tranny in them, but those guys are a bunch of noobs i bet, and most of the cars i watch at my local track are all autos with transbrakes and manual valve body trans, also the newer ferrari california is going to be the last manual option car ferrari is going to make. you need to write a letter to Ferrari and let them know they are doing it wrong. truth is electronic trannys shift much faster than you or anyone else

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    First car was a stick, first car I chose to buy was a stick, and current car is a stick. I've owned numerous automatic trans. cars aside from those three in my automotive history.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    just got my first manual bout 4 months ago. a '95 Sonoma.

It was a bit of an adjustment but now I'm so use to it that i have a hard time driving automatics.

WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    The only way to be fully in control of your vehicle is to own a stick. All my cars have been and will be stick shifts, unless government bans them. I think that if everyone owned a stick shift you would see far fewer traffic accidents.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Everything we currently have is a manual. Everything I've ever bought is a manual. Last automatic in the family was the Corolla my wife had before we got married.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    The only way to be fully in control of your vehicle is to own a stick. All my cars have been and will be stick shifts, unless government bans them. I think that if everyone owned a stick shift you would see far fewer traffic accidents.
    im gonna have to disagree, i really dont wanna be behind a teenager in a manual on any hill. plus half the world would be trying to drive, talk on the phone and eat from mcdonalds at the same time. accidents would definitely go up

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    this argument always makes me laugh,people think that driving a stick makes them skilled automobile drivers because they have an ability most people have lost with the change of times. For the stick drivers, how many of your vehicles have power steering , traction control,or anti lock brakes ? for those of you that do, why do you have those ? being a big manly man should surely allow you to handle that vehicle with out them.

You guys can have my man card when you take them from the m1 abrams tank operators. after all m1 abrams are automatics

lol all in good fun

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    this argument always makes me laugh,people think that driving a stick makes them skilled automobile drivers because they have an ability most people have lost with the change of times. For the stick drivers, how many of your vehicles have power steering , traction control,or anti lock brakes ? for those of you that do, why do you have those ? being a big manly man should surely allow you to handle that vehicle with out them.

You guys can have my man card when you take them from the m1 abrams tank operators. after all m1 abrams are automatics

lol all in good fun

Its mostly a personal thing.

Having just converted to stick, i have noticed that i have to be more aware of what is happening farther ahead of me so i know what gear i need to be in an when.

But other than that, no real change.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Its mostly a personal thing.

Having just converted to stick, i have noticed that i have to be more aware of what is happening farther ahead of me so i know what gear i need to be in an when.

But other than that, no real change.
    i understand that, after awhile you wont even notice.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Well Im a truck driver, I drive 9 speeds 10 speeds super 10 speeds 13 speeds and 18 speeds every day of the week. I honestly prefer driving a stick but my pickup truck I have now is automatic.

Sheltie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Indiana
    I started out driving a stick but after that truck I have had nothing but automatics. I just prefer to be able to eat or drink while driving.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Man card?? I learned how to drive on a 1960 AMC Rambler manual tran. My father told us to learn on a stick and then drive the auto - when we could afford it. Next two vehicles were manuals. My present truck is an automatic.

Top Bottom