• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The onlt vehicle I own that's not a manual trans is the one that was not offered in one. Crew Cab Sierra's were not offered in manual trans in a 1500. The wife's car, my daily and the vette are all manuals and the only way I would have them.

My wife prefer's a manual as well.... a woman that knows what to do with 3 pedals and a stick!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Got a couple stick-shift stories: My first new car was a '71 Datsun 1200. About two years after I got it, the clutch master cylinder failed. I had to drive it back from Norfolk VA to Ft. Bragg without the clutch. Worked OK except when I got caught at a stoplight; had to shut the car off and restart with the transmission in 1st gear. Fortunately, the starter turned fast enough to get the car going.

My last stick-shift was an 81 Reliant. I was playing volleyball and tore a muscle in my left calf. I had to drive from New Whiteland to Southport using my right foot to shift, brake, and accelerate. Sucked...

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Manual trans cars which were in my stable at some time or another:
    '63 Corvair
    '62 Corvairs (3)
    '61 Corvairs (2)
    '65 Corvairs (2)
    '67 Ford 1/2 T
    '73 Volvo 140
    '75 Volvo 164
    '70 240Z
    '73 Chevy 3/4T
    The rest were autos, and with perhaps one execption, less fun as a result.:cool:

ws98ta

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I learned to drive a manual in a 88 Suzuki samurai. A whopping 83 hp wouldn't even do highway speeds without a tail wind!
    I am wanting another manual soon. Maybe a used ctsv.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I learned to drive on a Ford tractor with a 10 fwd 2 rev tranny. Went from that to one with a 5 speed and split axle. First 'car' I drove was an F150 with the 300 straight six and a 3 on the tree. That was when I was all of 12. My current daily driver is a Jeep with a 5 speed. IMHO if you can't heel and toe downshift and drive something with a nonsyncro tranny and split axle you shouldn't even be allowed to know anyone with a man card.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I've never owned one but I at least took the time to learn. My dad had an '80's model Ford Ranger with a 4 speed that was the test mule.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Do rigs run syncros? It would seem they would get really stressed with a powerful transmission.

Not the manuals. The worst thing about the autos is backing up. They run/rev too fast, or start you out in too low of a gear, and you have to brake and do all kinds of herky-jerky BS to control the rig. And when you spend all day backing into loading docks, this becomes a huge PITA....

I suppose an auto would become "natural" for me if I had to get accustomed to it. I simply don't want to. Nobody tells me what gear to be in! :):

I assume you mainly shift without a clutch and match speeds, right?

Yes...most times it's a engine/sound/conditions thing. It becomes second nature. I rarely look at the tach. You're right about the Zen thing...you almost become part of the machine...

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    i currently have a 1989 mustang 5.0 5spd and a 86 camaro with 4spd auto. and i gotta say i prefer autos. Yes i do enjoy driving the stang and rowing gears, but city driving is so much better with an auto. and for all racing purposes autos are much better

flame suit on

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Great Thread!!!

I've (almost) always had a manual - I learned on it - 74 Fiat 128 coupe.
    My folks both drove stick at the time too.

after a few lessons, my dad has me w/ my learners permit coming up on the big 150° turn ... says "you need to downshift' ... so I do ... flawlessly ... what he didn't say was "AND BRAKE" ... so when he glared at me after we SLID round the corner ... and when we talk about it now ... I always tell him " YOU NEVER SAID TO BRAKE" ...

Since then I've had a 95 Plymouth Neon 5 spd - 38 MPG through its entire 10 yr 275,000 mile, 2 clutch life ... then a ford coupe ... and now my mazda 3 ((i'm a third too) ... all 5 speeds.

I also think of the manual as my anti theft device ...
    (like "dang - I can't steal this car - I can't drive it")...

The only thing I have to watch out for is the left foot work when i get in an automatic. 2 or 3 times I've locked up the brakes 'going for the clutch' in the automatic. :eek: ... people can be so touchy when you flip them from the back to the front seat like that ...:rolleyes: :D

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    My first car was a stick, I had another too but that one was totaled :( I've got an AUTO now but my next car I plan on getting another.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i learned on an s-10 (buddys)
    since then i have owned a cavalier 5 speed (pos) i hated that car so much i didnt use the clutch because the car was a pos.

my other 5 speed was my 02 bmw 330ci msport. I MISS THAT CAR.

ive driven a few larger box trucks (6 speeds) and a 10 speed steerling short semi (the lowes semi with the lift on the back)
    (my bus is sadly a 5 speed auto :( (push button tranny though! and it does have a gear selector you can tell it how high to go)

my currents are autos. didnt have much luck finding an f250 sd in a manual with low miles and affordable.

Top Bottom