• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    this argument always makes me laugh,people think that driving a stick makes them skilled automobile drivers because they have an ability most people have lost with the change of times. For the stick drivers, how many of your vehicles have power steering , traction control,or anti lock brakes ? for those of you that do, why do you have those ? being a big manly man should surely allow you to handle that vehicle with out them.

You guys can have my man card when you take them from the m1 abrams tank operators. after all m1 abrams are automatics

lol all in good fun

LOL! Thanks for a good laugh!:): Well said!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well Im a truck driver, I drive 9 speeds 10 speeds super 10 speeds 13 speeds and 18 speeds every day of the week. I honestly prefer driving a stick but my pickup truck I have now is automatic.

I can understand using an automatic after shifting all day. I have an automatic in my pick up. Sometimes you need a break. Makes drinking that last cup of coffee a lot more relaxing.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy

Oh yea, the only one that really matters is still a manual. But I don't clutch with my foot, I clutch with my left hand. And it only has 2 wheels. And it was made in America.

So yea, now we can start talking about "manly" vehicles. :)::rockwoot::)::yesway:

Well said.

I too, clutch with the left hand and shift with the left foot. I've been to the top of Pike's Peak, Mount Evans, and Trail Ridge Road with the wife on the back. (More than once.) My favorite road is The Beartooth Highway. They're gonna have to bury my engraved metal Man Card with me.

Hmmmmm. Think I'll ride to the gun shop today. :D

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Man card?? I learned how to drive on a 1960 AMC Rambler manual tran. My father told us to learn on a stick and then drive the auto - when we could afford it. Next two vehicles were manuals. My present truck is an automatic.

Glad your economic situation has prospered! Those old Ramblers were runners, but I always hated the way they looked. Still, it was better than walking or riding a bike.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Between my wife and I we have four trucks. Last year I bought a 5 sp 4 cyl chevy colorado to drive on a daily basis for gas mileage. Just didnt' seem right driving my z71 suburban with only me in it and my little colorado gets 450 miles to the tank full. 18 gallons compared to 31 on the suburban too.

I taught my 15 year old daughter how to drive the colorado. She keeps bugging me to drive the suburban (ain't gonna happen). I keep telling her "You can't drive the suburban. You don't know HOW to drive an AUTOMATIC!" LOLOLOLOL. Atleast I thought it was funny. Her... not so much... lol

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    My first car was a 71 Pinto...I could shift it without even using the clutch. Now this one sits in my driveway with 6 on the floor. :)

7831_1235791168218_1032364911_754034_7882296_n.jpg

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    this argument always makes me laugh,people think that driving a stick makes them skilled automobile drivers because they have an ability most people have lost with the change of times. For the stick drivers, how many of your vehicles have power steering , traction control,or anti lock brakes ? for those of you that do, why do you have those ? being a big manly man should surely allow you to handle that vehicle with out them.

You guys can have my man card when you take them from the m1 abrams tank operators. after all m1 abrams are automatics

lol all in good fun

p/s, YES.
    ABS? Nope.
    TCS? Nope.

P/S is nice for turning those big 275's at low speeds though I will admit. I've actually purchased mostof my vehicles because they DIDN'T contain all the nanny features I loathe.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    i currently have a 1989 mustang 5.0 5spd and a 86 camaro with 4spd auto. and i gotta say i prefer autos. Yes i do enjoy driving the stang and rowing gears, but city driving is so much better with an auto. and for all racing purposes autos are much better

flame suit on

How is it that for racing autos are better? Maybe for bracket style drag racing. But FYI two years in a row, first time out for the year I brought home the first place trophy in the Wed night Trophy race at Muncie Dragway in the street tire class, and guess what it was with a manual in a bracket race ;) Most cars are faster with a manual as long as they have a decent driver, plus they normally get better mileage as well. Also look at any 90% or more of the cars at a road course, SCCA autocross event, or basically any racing event other than maybe drag racing. And you're gonna find manual transmissions in the cars. ;)

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    These days the only reason to get a manual is because you enjoy the experience of rowing your own gears, and who doesn't? I know I do.

But a properly designed and built auto will beat a manual in pretty much every way but fun factor. They can shift faster than any person physically can, they are to the point where they are as efficient and can achieve the same or better mileage with no detriment to performance. Also easier to tune for your power/gearing/tires with stall converters, etc.

I Know that my mustang would easily beat an identical car with equal mods and equal rear end gearing with a stick. More consistent, faster shifts, better launches, etc.

Still at times I wish my mustang was a stick shift.

Manauls would be better for most autocross type racing though.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    All my daily drivers have been auto but I learned on a 48 Willys jeep when I was about 8 and when I got my license I could drive this
    P3290074.jpg

It's got a sbc302 an 3 spd. It's fun but squirrelly. I figure I shift enough gears during harvest to make up for having an auto daily driver.
    Heres my 10spd I drive in the fall
    photo-1.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Glad your economic situation has prospered! Those old Ramblers were runners, but I always hated the way they looked. Still, it was better than walking or riding a bike.
    Oh they were ugly! I think Dad paid $250.00 for it. But, it is what we had and it ran forever. It was a work car for Dad and a good one for my brother and I to learn how to drive the stick. As for the economic situation, eh! I'm just getting lazy in my experienced years. :D

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    When I bought my 1979 Ford F-150 I got to choose the engine I wanted, the rearend ratio and the trans. Can't do that anymore....seems they come as package deals now. By the way, it's still sitting in the garage with less than 50,000 actual miles...never been on a snowy street.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    When I bought my 1979 Ford F-150 I got to choose the engine I wanted, the rearend ratio and the trans. Can't do that anymore....seems they come as package deals now. By the way, it's still sitting in the garage with less than 50,000 actual miles...never been on a snowy street.

You can pick engines and gearing in most new F-150s. No manual option though, but to be honest it would be a worthless option on the new trucks. It really wouldn't gain you anything over the 6 speed auto.

You can get the 5.0L in any model, the sixer up to XLT, and the 6.2L in lariat and higher trims. Ecoboost soon to come and should be available in pretty much any model but Raptor and Platinum.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I used to daily drive a Jeep Wrangler TJ for about 10 years that was a 4.0L w/ manual. Ill be honest, after 10 years of driving it every day, I was actually kind of sicks of driving a stick. I always looked forward to driving the wifes car ;)

Now, Ive got a some 'toys' that I dont drive on a regular basis, and 90% of them are manuals. I love a manual in a hot rod of 4wd thats for sure, just not every day!

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I prefer trucks with a Manuel, unless im plowing snow. For plowing I have one hand on the wheel, another hand on the plow remote and operating a stick on top of that is a PITA. :cool:

As for cars, it if doesn't have a V8 the manual is just a waste of time. But if your car has a V8 automatic, well now we can start questioning your manhood. If its a Pontiac V8 automatic, well you just lost your mancard, report to the salon/spa to pick up your girlhood card. If your a female, you have a little more leeway, but you still loose a lot of hotness points.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Every car I have ever owned was a stick shift. I had never driven an automatic until I was 20 years old and didn't care for it. I learned to drive a stick shift at 12 years old. Would never buy an automatic.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I once owned a VW Squareback (stationwagon) which was stick. (Man! I wish I had that back!!!) I also had a Dotsun stationwagon that was stick. It was ok, but still, it was not the VW. :(
    Both helped me to learn to drive simi's.

(If anyone knows of anyone who has a VW Squareback for sale cheap, please let me know. (Manual tranny, please) ;)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I had a jeep that was a manual until I yanked it out and put an auto in. Why? Rock crawling is hard enough without an auto. Sadly i had to sell it...

Top Bottom