• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I am a big Jack Daniels fan and also really like Makers Mark.

I bought a bottle of single barrel Jack Daniels and thought I would just pour it on some ice and sip it, I cannot do it. Lol. I guess I'm a sissy. I love a strong Jack and Pepsi, but cannot drink is straight.

Anyone else want to drink their whisky of choice on the rocks, but cannot? Or am I the only one? Lol

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Anyone else want to drink their whisky of choice on the rocks, but cannot? Or am I the only one? Lol

I drink whisky regularly and still can't drink it straight. Usually mixed with coke, dr. pepper, mtn, dew, or sweet tea. The only way I can drink it straight is doing shots, then chasing it with a Bud.

"Drinking Wild Turkey and Sweet Tea as I type"

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Say what you will, but Evan Williams Single Barrel is yum yum yummy. Its made at the Heaven Hill distillery in KY, and its a smooth operator....

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Evan Williams single barrel is under appreciated, so I'd Elijah Craig 12yo. Lately I've been enjoying some rye whiskeys. Sazerac is a nice one, for example.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    just picked up some new burbon

Feast your eyes on these beauts here

Buffalo Trace
    Experimental Collection
    Limited and Rare Whiskey

In 1987 Buffalo Trace Distillery began experimenting. Since then, Buffalo Trace has produced over 1,500 experimental barrels of whiskey now aging in its warehouses. Each of the barrels has unique characteristics. Some examples of these experiments include unique mash bills, types of wood, barrel toasts and more.

Buffalo Trace periodically bottles a few of these experimental barrels and makes them available to consumers. Each experiment that is released is very limited and rare.

Released 2011 out of production.
    59.99-100.00+ each
    20 Barrels made
    aged 9 years 5 months

made with rice
    made with oats

IMAG0490.jpg

:D

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    zombie04.gif

Since this thread has been resurrected, anybody know where I find Pendleton 1910 here in Indy? Love rye whiskey, and a bartender in Canada recommended I try it out, says he always buy a bottle when he crosses the border.

sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    My favorite is Bushmills black label. It is a good irish whiskey. White label is pretty easy to find, but not near as good. I brought some black and green label back from a trip to Ireland.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Last edited:

buffalohump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    I was introduced to Jim Beam Rye in 1968. Still the only whiskey for me. Taken at room temp straight outta the bottle or in a glass. sipping whiskey. Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey Yellow label

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Try Eagle Rare, it is a bourbon , single barrel under $50 ( the 10 year ver.)

I was introduced to Jim Beam Rye in 1968. Still the only whiskey for me. Taken at room temp straight outta the bottle or in a glass. sipping whiskey. Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey Yellow label

Both of these are fine suggestions. In my opinion, although I am not particularly a fan of their bourbon, Jim Beam makes a very nice rye.

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I think I've read all 18 pages of this thread, so I hope I didn't miss this topic somewhere.

Have any of you used whiskey stones? It seems like a good idea in theory - cool down your whiskey without adding ice that will later melt and alter the taste (especially if your ice comes from well water that has its own... flavor). Do you guys think they're worth it or more of a gimmick?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think I've read all 18 pages of this thread, so I hope I didn't miss this topic somewhere.

Have any of you used whiskey stones? It seems like a good idea in theory - cool down your whiskey without adding ice that will later melt and alter the taste (especially if your ice comes from well water that has its own... flavor). Do you guys think they're worth it or more of a gimmick?
    Not for me...

I like the effect of the ice melting and changing the flavor as I sip my Whiskey...

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera

I have them, they work well if you like whiskey cold. I primarily have them for company.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    My suggestions for those who like Bourbon and Whiskey drinks on the rocks.

Buy this:
    Freezer

Ice cube tray that makes 2"cubes of ice. Perfect for Whiskey/Bourbon on the rocks. Less surface area allows them to melt slower. Just enough to open them up and not water them down.

Eagle Rare is great.

Bourbon guys try this: Backbone Bourbon Uncut - Straight Bourbon Whiskey (Better than Booker's!)

Backbone Bourbon is a true uncut whiskey. Its quality comes from its youthful vigor and the purity of tasting a barrel strength whiskey. This whiskey is distilled in Lawrenceburg, Indiana and is bottled in small batches in Bardstown, Kentucky.
    Backbone Bourbon is meant to be sipped and savored. It was developed with the discerning bourbon drinker in mind. Many bourbons available on the market today are “cut” with water to a specific proof. This is done for good reason but we feel that a good part of the whiskey's character is lost during this process. Bourbon matures in oak barrels and takes years to evolve. During this time, it develops character. It is molded by the quality of ingredients and the barrel in which it was aged. We feel this is the backbone of the whiskey and we want to preserve this originality and purity.

We also want to give consumers the choice of how strong they want to drink their bourbon. We recommend adding water or ice blocks to get it to your desired level of strength. But more than just a sipper, Backbone makes an ideal ingredient for the increasing number of cocktails using Bourbon as an anchor spirit.
    To have backbone means to have “strength of character and resolution”. Backbone Bourbon is a strong and flavorful bourbon that should be enjoyed carefully and responsibly.

Top Bottom