• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Beem Red Stag it is infused with Black Cherry. Great sipper just by itself or out of my flask. Killer cherry coke if you perfer. I am more of a beer snob (Mico Beers are my thing) but this stuff is great. Try a bottle you will not regret it everyone who has tasted it has fell in love.:):

There is no better drink IMO than Jim Beam Red Stag on the rocks with some Cherry Coke. I'm not a big drinker, but this is what I drink when I do.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Irony...

John Jameson was a Scot who moved to Ireland...
    And the Scots invented Whisky, by the way...
    Americans invented the word Whiskey... :popcorn:

Hate to be argumentative, jeremy, but I do believe that the art of distilling whiskey (the way in which God and the Irish meant for it to be spelled) was introduced to Scotland by a group of Irish monks. :D

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm on a college budget, so I probably won't drop more than thirty dollars or so on a "nice" bottle of whiskey. That being said, my go-to everyday whiskey is Buffalo Trace, and my favorite affordable nice whiskey is Eagle Rare. I believe they are made by the same distillery, but I find them both to be tasty whiskey for the money.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    well, i went to kahns and tasted bulleit, and four roses, and both of them were VERY VERY harsh. maybe i didnt let it sit long enough? never got past the alcholhol to even taste the whiskey.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    well, i went to kahns and tasted bulleit, and four roses, and both of them were VERY VERY harsh. maybe i didnt let it sit long enough? never got past the alcholhol to even taste the whiskey.

I'd encourage you to try an Irish. To most people, they taste the "smoothest" when you first start trying whiskey.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I skipped to the end, rather than reading 16 pages.

Anyway, this past weekend, at my brother-in-law's house, I got to try 3 single malts that I hadn't tried before.

Ardbeg 10yr - very peaty and kinda peppery
    Highland Park 18 - oh my! that's all I have to say
    Talisker 175th anniversary - not as much bite as the Ardbeg, but pretty damn good.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

It takes time. I drank Jim Beam & Coke for years (lots & lots & lots of it) but trying to drink the JB straight was not pleasant for me. I've been drinking my bourbon neat for about 6 years now and the first sip is still a bit rough regardless of the quality or smoothness of the bourbon. As the ice melts and things relax it gets better and I can start to pick out the subtle tones in the bourbon.

Pour yourself three fingers of the best bourbon you want to buy. Put two or three ice cubes in it and about a tablespoon of water. I use my finger to spin the ice cubes around in the glass for a minute or so before I start sipping. The first sip will have a bit of bite to it but each sip gets better. Stick with it and by the time you finish the first three fingers you'll be looking forward to the next.

I don't know how you feel about cigars but a good cigar makes the experience all the better. A nice piece of dark chocolate ain't bad either.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I'm on a college budget, so I probably won't drop more than thirty dollars or so on a "nice" bottle of whiskey. That being said, my go-to everyday whiskey is Buffalo Trace, and my favorite affordable nice whiskey is Eagle Rare. I believe they are made by the same distillery, but I find them both to be tasty whiskey for the money.

I'm with you, for the price, buffalo trace can't be beat

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Inspired by this thread, I had a little whiskey taste test of my own the other day. I went to my local liquor store and bought some of the little single serving bottles of whiskey from behind the counter. My line up consisted of two of my choosing, Makers Mark since it's gotten several good reviews in this thread and Jameson since it is pushed so hard in all the Irish bars I've ever been in. The guy behind the counter suggested Jim Beam and Southern Comfort. In retrospect I don't think I should have taken him up on those but I guess you've got to try them once right?

In my opinion the Makers Mark was the best neat, on the rocks, and with coke. I was kind of disappointed that I didn't like the Jameson more but I just didn't feel like it had much to bring to the table. MM had such a good flavor and I just didn't taste much of anything in the Jameson. Jim Beam was just bad and SoCo was fine on the rocks but not something I'd pick over MM.

I figure I've got at least a couple genre's of whiskey down, and so far I much prefer bourbon (MM) over the Irish variety (Jameson). What might be a good representative of Canadian whiskeys? I know I saw single servings of Crown Royal and I'll probably try that unless someone has any suggestions? Do any Scotch whiskeys (or whiskies, I honestly don't know) come in single servings? If so would any of them be a good representative of the group?

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Inspired by this thread, I had a little whiskey taste test of my own the other day. I went to my local liquor store and bought some of the little single serving bottles of whiskey from behind the counter. My line up consisted of two of my choosing, Makers Mark since it's gotten several good reviews in this thread and Jameson since it is pushed so hard in all the Irish bars I've ever been in. The guy behind the counter suggested Jim Beam and Southern Comfort. In retrospect I don't think I should have taken him up on those but I guess you've got to try them once right?

In my opinion the Makers Mark was the best neat, on the rocks, and with coke. I was kind of disappointed that I didn't like the Jameson more but I just didn't feel like it had much to bring to the table. MM had such a good flavor and I just didn't taste much of anything in the Jameson. Jim Beam was just bad and SoCo was fine on the rocks but not something I'd pick over MM.

I figure I've got at least a couple genre's of whiskey down, and so far I much prefer bourbon (MM) over the Irish variety (Jameson). What might be a good representative of Canadian whiskeys? I know I saw single servings of Crown Royal and I'll probably try that unless someone has any suggestions? Do any Scotch whiskeys (or whiskies, I honestly don't know) come in single servings? If so would any of them be a good representative of the group?

I would try crown for canadian.

Go up to Kahn's on Keystone sometime to see if they have any scotch you can sample. Also sign up on Crown Liquor's website for their email notices and you can get invites to whiskey tastings they hold periodically.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There is a small batch bourbon tasting on Jan 11 at Corner Wine Bar in Broad Ripple from 7-9pm. The cost is $30 and includes appetizers. Maybe someone would be interested in getting a table together and talking bourbon, guns and any other topic that comes up.

jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    Bourbon: I like Makers 46, Bookers, buffalo trace, Colorado. Woodford Reserve Maple Oak Edition. Knob Creek and Coke
    Irish: redbreast 12 yr. Jameson 18yr and Middleton
    Scotch: Dont have an acquired taste for it

Top Bottom