• ...and so much more!
  • skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    so what would you reccomend for a first time "sipping whiskey" thats not very harsh?

or perhapds this questions deserves its own thread?

I would highly recommend four roses small batch. You can get it for $20-25 and it is probably only aged about 8 yrs so it isnt as strong with the taste of the oak. Then you still have $25 left to try another bottle.

If you want to spend all $50 at once... Blanton's

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    finding a gentleman jack thats single barreled for 10 years and triple distilled?

or just a whiskey in general with those traits?

also, how do i go about "finding" one? i feel like if i asked the advice of the people at my local liquore store either they wouldnt really know and would just "help" or they would try to steer me towards something that has a higher profit margin for them.

Kahn's at about 52nd and Keystone in Indy has a wide selections of whiskeys arrayed at the checkout counter that you can try before you buy. This may help you "figure out" your palate without having to buy 20-30 different kinds of whiskey (not that I think THAT is a bad thing; I'm kind of fond of having that many whiskeys around). The variety of whiskey you are most likely to find "triple distilled" is going to be Irish whiskey - and most people do find Irish to be a nice entry point into whiskey. Red Breast is an outstanding example of a reasonably available Irish. The most common you're going to find is Bushmill's, Powers, and of course, Jameson. Single barrel whiskeys are fantastic, but by their very nature, you can't be absolutely certain that the bottle you get next year will taste just like the bottle you found and liked this week. To me, that is part of their charm.

If you are a fan of Jack Daniels, you might go ahead and try [STRIKE]Evan Williams[/STRIKE] George Dickel - the only other commercial example of "Tennessee sipping whiskey" I'm aware of. It's a little less expensive, and who knows, you may find you prefer it.

My long-time love affair is with bourbons, and I find I like those with higher rye content in the mash bill over those that tend more to wheat. Ryes are spicier, wheats are sweeter and "softer". Rare Breed is a good example of a rye based bourbon, Maker's Mark or Woodford Reserve are good examples of ones that tend more toward the wheat.

For about the last year I've been having a fling with straight rye whiskey; any kind I can get my hands on. Sazerac, Michter's, Old Overholt; yummm!

I usually drink my whiskies with just a touch of water added to them - maybe in the summer an ice cube or two, but not much more than that. Water will really open a whiskey up and give you a whole different experience than your first sip of the same whiskey taken straight. And although i don't mix my whiskey with cola, there isn't anything wrong with that, if you like the taste. I do like the odd Old Fashioned, Sazerac or other whiskey cocktail on occassion, and we've got a few places in Indy that do them very, very well.

Last edited:

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Kahn's at about 52nd and Keystone in Indy has a wide selections of whiskeys arrayed at the checkout counter that you can try before you buy. This may help you "figure out" your palate without having to buy 20-30 different kinds of whiskey (not that I think THAT is a bad thing; I'm kind of fond of having that many whiskeys around). The variety of whiskey you are most likely to find "triple distilled" is going to be Irish whiskey - and most people do find Irish to be a nice entry point into whiskey. Red Breast is an outstanding example of a reasonably available Irish. The most common you're going to find is Bushmill's, Powers, and of course, Jameson. Single barrel whiskeys are fantastic, but by their very nature, you can't be absolutely certain that the bottle you get next year will taste just like the bottle you found and liked this week. To me, that is part of their charm.

If you are a fan of Jack Daniels, you might go ahead and try Evan Williams - the only other commercial example of "Tennessee sipping whiskey" I'm aware of. It's a little less expensive, and who knows, you may find you prefer it.
    Good advice about tasting at Kahn's

Evan Williams is a bourbon, I believe you are thinking about George Dickel, which is superior to Jack Daniels No 7.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If you are a fan of Jack Daniels, you might go ahead and try Evan Williams - the only other commercial example of "Tennessee sipping whiskey" I'm aware of. It's a little less expensive, and who knows, you may find you prefer it.
    Evan Williams a Tennessee Whiskey I have Friends and Family that would take great offense to that... :draw::):

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Actually I think there are 4 Tennessee Whiskeys...
    Jack Daniels...
    George Dickel...
    Benjamin Pritchard's...
    Collier and McKeen...

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    so what would you reccomend for a first time "sipping whiskey" thats not very harsh?

Get a bottle of Old Pogue and you won't be disappointed. It's very smooth.

If you use your $50 gift card, you'll still have a few bucks left over.

20324.jpg

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Personally, I'm a Jim Beam guy, but I too mix it and don't usually drink it straight unless it's being chased with a Bud. The new JB Devil's Cut is pretty good, nice oaky flavor. Also a fan of the Red Stag.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    A few people have mentioned Four Roses. My favorite is Maker's Mark but Four Roses is very good as well. My favorite is their small batch version. Basil Hayden is another good choice. Woodford Reserve is good, but I learned on the tour there that only a very small portion of each bottle is actually made by Woodford Reserve and the rest is an unnamed bourbon they mix with it to keep up production. I can't knock the taste, but learning that it's mixed with some unknown bourbon has soured me on Woodford Reserve. Part of why I like Maker's Mark (besides the taste) is the story. I've been down there several times and have seen how it's made and where it comes from.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My late great-grandfather (who I just barely recall) had a favorite saying that "bread might be the staff of life, but whiskey is life itself". His favorite was Jameson, and I've always stayed true to my heritage. The Irish invented whiskey. All others are pretenders. :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    My late great-grandfather (who I just barely recall) had a favorite saying that "bread might be the staff of life, but whiskey is life itself". His favorite was Jameson, and I've always stayed true to my heritage. The Irish invented whiskey. All others are pretenders. :D
    Irony...

John Jamenson was a Scot who moved to Ireland...
    And the Scots invented Whisky, by the way...
    Americans invented the word Whiskey... :popcorn:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Evan Williams Single Barrel. Couple of cubes and a splash of (good) water. If it's a bit harsh let it breath for several minutes and it tones down a bit.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'd be glad to learn the entire history of whiskey/bourbon, both here and abroad, over a nice glass of your finest. :rockwoot:

:D

Only Friends get to share a Glass of my Finest...
    I believe you may have a conflict of interests with my definition of Friend... :D

If I remember your profession correctly... ;):):

Unless you own a Backhoe or some pigs... :popcorn:

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    So what would you recommend for a first time "sipping whiskey" that's not very harsh?

Bushmills Irish Whiskey (White Label) - I promise, you will spit on Jack Daniels grave after drinking this.

If you MUST mix it (either from stupidity or habit or the need for variety)... I recommend Vernors Ginger Ale (America's oldest soda - 1866), it is aged 3 years in oak casks.

~~~

Factoids: The Bushmills Distillery claims to be — and is almost unanimously considered to be — the oldest licensed distillery in the world, founded in 1608. John Jameson (correct spelling) was a Scotsman who bought a Irish Distillery in 1870, to skirt the British Crown's licensing requirements.

Clearly, the Irish were there first.

Top Bottom