Where would you shoot a bad guy in self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you shoot someone in the pelvic cradle, they will die... just in about two months after their :poop: rots them from the inside out.

Indeed!

I think we've been over this before in this particular topic, but when someone so stridently advocates "shattering the pelvic girdle," it makes me wonder if they have even a cursory knowledge of anatomy.

First of all, most of the body in the pelvic region is gooey stuff, not bone. As TWB said, most shots there pose a bigger risk of infection in the aftermath than they do for reliably impairing the mobility of an assailant.

Second, even if you know anatomy and can visualize where the bones might be, good luck visualizing where they are one someone who isn't built like PeeWee Herman. Now, assuming you truly know where those bones are, try actually hitting them while he is moving and you are moving.

Third, even if you do hit bone, what effect will it have? For the kind of incapacitation that is implied by those who advocate pelvic shots, you're going to have to break bone in more than one spot. Add the fact that handgun projectiles are puny and the likelihood of causing enough damage to literally immoblize someone drops even more.

I'm not saying that the pelvis isn't a legitimate target area on a threat or that it's impossible to immobilize someone with a pelvic shot. I'm saying it's unlikely to happen that way to the point where you should not expect it to happen that way. It's almost as if people actually believe that a pistol bullet into someone's pelvis is going to drop them like a poleaxed steer each and every time. There are no guarantees with pistol bullets, and this scenario doesn't even come close to a guarantee.

If the threat's pelvis is the biggest piece of meat and bones that is available, by all means put rounds into it as rapidly as you can and keep doing it until you get other targets or the threat ceases.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The info is based on real world data. I got the idea from Massad Ayoob. I figure since I am not an expert I would get opinions from one.

My info is not based on any kind of concrete data. I have not been to as many or taught as many classes as Massod Ayoob either. My conclusion are solely based on REAL WORLD EXPERINCES. I am a Graduate with Honors from the School of Hard Knocks with a PHD in Combat.

The average person can travel 20+ feet in 1.5 seconds. If you think a couple shots center mass will take them out in that time frame go ahead and shoot COM. That kind of stopping power in most handguns only happens in the movies. Make sure you go into court saying that you intended to kill them and not just stop the threat. I am sure they will understand, he deserved it.

Inside 20 feet and you are going for your gun... You are dead. Inside 20 feet is hand and knife range. Period. Don't believe me get yourself some simunitioins and when I get back home from this tour I will be the Knife weilding attacker (Armed with a red Sharpie) and you can pull the pistol and try to incapaitate me with it. Bet I mark you first...

As far as telling the Court I intended to Kill the person, why not. That is why I shot them right?! I do not shot to wound anything or anyone, I do shot to kill everything that I engage. Aiming for the humane shot to stop the threat but keep them alive is wrong thinking and could get someone killed...

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Inside 20 feet and you are going for your gun... You are dead. Inside 20 feet is hand and knife range. Period. Don't believe me get yourself some simunitioins and when I get back home from this tour I will be the Knife weilding attacker (Armed with a red Sharpie) and you can pull the pistol and try to incapaitate me with it. Bet I mark you first...

As far as telling the Court I intended to Kill the person, why not. That is why I shot them right?! I do not shot to wound anything or anyone, I do shot to kill everything that I engage. Aiming for the humane shot to stop the threat but keep them alive is wrong thinking and could get someone killed...
    I wasn't suggesting shooting them in the pelvis to not kill them. The goal is to keep them from being able to close the gap on you and possibly killing you even if they may ultimately die. They use to teach us in football to focus on the running backs belt buckle because where ever it went he went. You can be faked out by focusing elsewhere. The logic of being able to hit someone center of mass and not in the pelvic region doesn't add up. It isn't like you are going to stop at one shot and hope for a direct hit, just the same as shooting center mass. The point of the 20 feet in 1.5 seconds is that someone shot in the heart once or twice can still close the gap on you and end up killing you. Again I have to default to the experts on this. I trust Ayoobs advice and unless I can find some facts to dispute his claims I have to give it weight.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    this is wrong, just fyi. theres a guy on ingo that can draw his pistol and kill you even if youve already got one trained on his head from 5-10 feet. hes got video of himself shooting steel plates to prove it too.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Fixer it isn't that you can not hit the Pelvis. It is what will happen once you do! Breaking the bones down there will not stop an attacker or noticably slow them down. Talk to someone how rides an Ambulance or works a Nursing Home a lot of the times elderly people will function fully for weeks with a broken bone in this region. Hell I had a Soldier that Broke his during training and deployed with what him and his Medics thought was just a bad bruise...

COM (I use the Military Definition) Is where the Heart, Lungs and, a LOT of important functional parts are located. That will stop someone quickly...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Why is it that every time I read the updates to this thread that the scene from Harlem Nights with Eddie Murphy, Red Foxx and others, where Eddie (I think) shoots off Della Reese's "little, nasty, crusty, pinkie toe"?

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i would shoot center body mass since it would be easiest to hit and just keep shooting until i feel he is no longer a threat to me. only hits count.

if i could pick, and had time i would shoot him in the face, closed casket, because if he is forcing me to shoot him than he is obviously a very bad person.

gtrlspl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    South Bend
    this is wrong, just fyi. theres a guy on ingo that can draw his pistol and kill you even if youve already got one trained on his head from 5-10 feet. hes got video of himself shooting steel plates to prove it too.

Whoa, have you ever shot steel plates before? It can be a daunting task. First off they don't move, which is the opposite of what a human would do and that just throws your whole game off. Second, not to be racist but they are often black which can intimidate even the most seasoned veteran of firearms shooting. I mean I personally had to switch the type of silhouette targets I was shooting to the green ones because the black ones, well... they scared me...my shooting improved 500%!

Last edited:

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Fixer it isn't that you can not hit the Pelvis. It is what will happen once you do! Breaking the bones down there will not stop an attacker or noticably slow them down. Talk to someone how rides an Ambulance or works a Nursing Home a lot of the times elderly people will function fully for weeks with a broken bone in this region. Hell I had a Soldier that Broke his during training and deployed with what him and his Medics thought was just a bad bruise...

COM (I use the Military Definition) Is where the Heart, Lungs and, a LOT of important functional parts are located. That will stop someone quickly...
    I will let you argue that point with the experts. I hear he does a class in Indiana. I agree that a fracture to the pelvic bone is not that severe, and someone can still function. I doubt many of those elderly where able to run at you with a knife or bat after a break in the pelvic region. I have a hard time believing that a bullet will do that little amout of damage to the pelvic bone. How quickly is it that someone shot COM will be neutralized? If he is 40 to 50 feet away it better be almost instantly. He will be able to close that gap in 3 to 4 seconds.

Top Bottom