Where would you shoot a bad guy in self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    What a bunch of BS...

Shoot him/her where ever they stand until its over!!!

If you wanna philosophy and worry about courts, cops & courtesy I guess you can do it here. As for me I'll shoot until it's over or until I cannot shoot anymore. I will decide when, where & how long to defend myself, my family & what's mine... NO ONE ELSE.

Noted.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Well, if there is confusion here, just imagine the confusion in a classroom full of first time CCW holders.

This is exactly why I think it's a bad phrase to use. It presents a visual in the mind that isn't the same as the intent of the person using it. And for those who practice it without hearing the qualification or explaination it can potentially cause huge problems in their legal lives.

I tend to come at everything I type on the internet regarding guns and legalities from the standpoint of: This may be the only time some stranger ever takes the time to read anything about guns.

Granted, it's hard to give a complete history and legal lesson everytime we post something, but I think just keeping the idea that someone may take what we type and run with it should be enough to keep us all focused and honest in our posts.

So, no problem on your explaination, we're totally on the same page. I just always ask myself how posts read to the uninitiated. :patriot:

I can see where you're coming from. Very good point to consider. :yesway:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    What a bunch of BS...

If you wanna philosophy and worry about courts, cops & courtesy I guess you can do it here. As for me I'll shoot until it's over or until I cannot shoot anymore. I will decide when, where & how long to defend myself, my family & what's mine... NO ONE ELSE.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint) that's not the world we live in. We live in a society of laws to maintain some semblence of order. If you choose to continue living here then you are going to be held accountable to those laws. You can choose to not follow them when (& if) it comes down to it. Then you will pay the price of your actions.

I'm not saying you should fear lawsuits from the bad guy (or his family) who may try to sue you after the fact. Or that you should fear the actions of some rogue prosecutor who tries to make a name for himself by possibly taking you to trial outside of the law. You don't have any control over those people & will just have to deal with it if necessary. BUT there is a very bright line in the law on when you can & can't use deadly force for self-defense. Your best bet of legally surviving is if you try your best to know where that line is & stay on the right side of it.

jwglock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Lafayette area
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint) that's not the world we live in. We live in a society of laws to maintain some semblence of order. If you choose to continue living here then you are going to be held accountable to those laws. You can choose to not follow them when (& if) it comes down to it. Then you will pay the price of your actions.

I'm not saying you should fear lawsuits from the bad guy (or his family) who may try to sue you after the fact. Or that you should fear the actions of some rogue prosecutor who tries to make a name for himself by possibly taking you to trial outside of the law. You don't have any control over those people & will just have to deal with it if necessary. BUT there is a very bright line in the law on when you can & can't use deadly force for self-defense. Your best bet of legally surviving is if you try your best to know where that line is & stay on the right side of it.

"legally surviving" Therein is the lesson! Like I said...

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    "legally surviving" Therein is the lesson! Like I said...

No one is disputing the fact that you physically surviving is the first priority. If you REASONABLY NEED to put 100 bullets into the BG so that you will survive then go ahead. BUT if you finish the guy off as he's laying on the ground even though he in no way could still be a threat to you then you are a murderer. You will pay the price. What's the point of surviving an attack to just turn around & go to prison for life because you "will decide when, where & how long to defend myself, my family & what's mine..." because you refuse to consider the limitations put on you by the legal system. No matter how badly you want it you are not above the law.

jwglock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Lafayette area
    Like I said... What a bunch of BS!

Internet jockeys making false assumptions and illogical conclusions.

Been here too long already. Like my son says, "Even if you win the internet argument, you're still a retard for being in it!"

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Like I said... What a bunch of BS!

Internet jockeys making false assumptions and illogical conclusions.

Been here too long already. Like my son says, "Even if you win the internet argument, you're still a retard for being in it!"

Wow. That was completely uncalled for.

I suppose this is where it could all go South or everyone can take a breath and seperate. I opt for the latter.

broabc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    I say, very quickly, two to the chest and one to the head. Repeat as necessary. Keep your cool, you're either going to get him or he'll get you, simple as that.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    No one is disputing the fact that you physically surviving is the first priority. If you REASONABLY NEED to put 100 bullets into the BG so that you will survive then go ahead. BUT if you finish the guy off as he's laying on the ground even though he in no way could still be a threat to you then you are a murderer. You will pay the price. What's the point of surviving an attack to just turn around & go to prison for life because you "will decide when, where & how long to defend myself, my family & what's mine..." because you refuse to consider the limitations put on you by the legal system. No matter how badly you want it you are not above the law.

Where in hell did you get from JWGlock post that he was "planning" on "finish the guy off" as BG was laying on the ground.

I tend to agree, shoot, until the threat is OVER. If the MF'er is laying on the groud with his gun still in his hand still trying to shoot me, you can bet your hind end I'm gonna "finish him off"

I also tend to agree with JWGlock that this thread is full of more BS than typical on here.....there seem to be A LOT of posters that don't get it at all....

If your life is on the line, FINISH THE DAMN FIGHT and do your best to come out ALIVE.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Where in hell did you get from JWGlock post that he was "planning" on "finish the guy off" as BG was laying on the ground.

I tend to agree, shoot, until the threat is OVER. If the MF'er is laying on the groud with his gun still in his hand still trying to shoot me, you can bet your hind end I'm gonna "finish him off"

I also tend to agree with JWGlock that this thread is full of more BS than typical on here.....there seem to be A LOT of posters that don't get it at all....

If your life is on the line, FINISH THE DAMN FIGHT and do your best to come out ALIVE.

Umm...I was illustrating two outwardly similar but actually very different scenarios.

Your situation in which "the MF'er is laying on the groud with his gun still in his hand still trying to shoot me" was covered in my post. I agree they are still a threat; in that case "shoot, until the threat is OVER".

In the second scenario that possibility was painted by JWGlock when he made the statement that HE "will decide when, where & how long to defend myself, my family & what's mine..." without regard to "philosophy and worry about courts, cops & courtesy". I made that distinction in my post. I'm not the one who doesn't get it or is spouting internet commando BS.

Please, tell me. How is my saying that you will not survive legally if you act outside the confines of the law, BS? A law that, at least in IN, is fairly easy to follow. All it asks is that use of deadly force be reasonable & necessary.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Did I say YOU were spouting BS ??? No. I said this thread is full of BS, which it is.

In regard to your other comment, I asked WHERE JWGlock stated or alluded to acting "outside" of the law??? He did not, YOU chose to twist his words and take them out of context to paint a picture that was never there. Much like the politicians ect that are doing their best to take away as many of our rights as they can.

jwglock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Lafayette area
    I stand by every word... it's SELF defense. If you don't get, I pity you should the day come that you need it. I'll finalize my posting on this thread with the words of another American patriot speaking to the same subject.

"By all intellectually honest considerations, my gift of life qualifies as supreme, and not only worthy of defending, but clearly demanding to be defended by all moral beings.

And speaking of losers, sadly and frighteningly, some weasels made their way onto the Supreme Court who apparently do not agree with me. Fortunately, I am a self-made man, have a firm grasp of logic, self-evident truth and its history, and I wait for no one to authorize my pure instinct to defend myself and loved ones. When in doubt, I whip it out." - Ted Nugent

Top Bottom