• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    To all the people saying this guy is whining for posting about someone voluntarily keeping a handgun from him.......

How many of you have posted whining rants about private businesses voluntarily keeping handguns from YOU while on their premises? (aka: all the "-1 for Kroger OC experience" threads)

I think they're both about as justified, and I like that people post them. But one is no holier than the other.
    A discussion about rights and a discussion about feeling entitled to something(transaction with a seller that disqualified you) are quite different.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    A discussion about rights and a discussion about feeling entitled to something(transaction with a seller that disqualified you) are quite different.

Ah, but it is an anti-OC business's right to refuse service for any reason, just as it is the classified seller's right to refuse the sale for any reason.

The INGO gun-carrier is refused service so he comes here to relate an experience (complain) and post to warn away like-minded people from buying from the place of business in question.

The OP is refused service so he comes here to relate an experience (complain) and post to warn away like-minded people from buying from the seller in question.

I really don't see a difference.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This thread has gone off kilter a few times.

The OP is not whining or complaining. He was asking why age discrimination. Why people feel that should not sell a gun to someone under 21 even though its legal. He completely understands that the seller does not have to sell to him. He was asking about what goes into making such decisions.

Tangents galore going on here. The OP does not deserve to be chastised for asking a question. Lets not let INGO turn into glocktalk where a person is asking a question is akin to jumping into a pool of sharks while bleeding.
    chasedbyshark.gif

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    To all the people saying this guy is whining for posting about someone voluntarily keeping a handgun from him.......

How many of you have posted whining rants about private businesses voluntarily keeping handguns from YOU while on their premises? (aka: all the "-1 for Kroger OC experience" threads)

I think they're both about as justified, and I like that people post them. But one is no holier than the other.

Correct. The seller has the right to refuse, and I have the right to call him an ******* for refusing. Stores have the right to refuse carry, and we have the right to call them *******s for it. Freedom is grand.

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I think some people confuse age with maturity. I have seen people in their 30s who are less mature than most teenagers. I have also seen teenagers more mature than people in their 30s. Still, I think it is safe to say that maturity does typically come with age.

GlockInLaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I expect it is frustrating to you to not be considered mature enough at 18 to carry:dunno: a handgun when in fact many young men are doing so in the military in service to our country. Although I have to admit, many 18 year olds do not demonstrate the responsibility I would like to see when considering carrying a weapon.
    Neverthess, I would like to encourage you to continue your education and be a responsible gun owner. Our country needs people like you. However, I also would also believe you could have a avoided reaping the rath of the forum members if you would have approached the topic with more humility.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Anything said in this thread is really pointless. Why? Because you are 20. You could hear a thousand posts from older people all saying the same thing and you would still not give an inch in your thinking. Why? Because you are 20. This is not saying anything bad about you. We were all twenty once ourselves. That is the point. We have all been there and can look back and see how young we were and how little we actually knew compared to what we thought we knew. You too will be at this point in your life even though right now you think you already are. It is not discrimination it is hindsight that precipitates this. I know you think your replies are well thought out and intelligent,logical arguments but the truth is you could have never told your personal age and it would be easy to peg you as very young just by your posts. Every young adult has felt the way you do(looked down on,discriminated against and not given your due respect). It's just part of growing up. As to the OP,I would sell a handgun to a twenty year old only IF I knew them personally. The seller was right,there is a lot of growing up in just a few years span at that age. The fact that some 40 year olds are immature and irresponsible really has no relevance to this discussion. The truth is that even a responsible 20YO is still 20 with a lot of maturing left to do no matter what you think now. You'll see in ten or twenty years. Until then just take the advice you are given and know that everyone has gone through it.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    "Where is the respect?"

My answer: He has not earned it yet. Soon, probably; but not yet. Most of us do not realize how immature we really are/were until we reach thirty (or at least until we are "older").

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Anything said in this thread is really pointless. Why? Because you are 20. You could hear a thousand posts from older people all saying the same thing and you would still not give an inch in your thinking. Why? Because you are 20. This is not saying anything bad about you. We were all twenty once ourselves. That is the point. We have all been there and can look back and see how young we were and how little we actually knew compared to what we thought we knew. You too will be at this point in your life even though right now you think you already are. It is not discrimination it is hindsight that precipitates this. I know you think your replies are well thought out and intelligent,logical arguments but the truth is you could have never told your personal age and it would be easy to peg you as very young just by your posts. Every young adult has felt the way you do(looked down on,discriminated against and not given your due respect). It's just part of growing up. As to the OP,I would sell a handgun to a twenty year old only IF I knew them personally. The seller was right,there is a lot of growing up in just a few years span at that age. The fact that some 40 year olds are immature and irresponsible really has no relevance to this discussion. The truth is that even a responsible 20YO is still 20 with a lot of maturing left to do no matter what you think now. You'll see in ten or twenty years. Until then just take the advice you are given and know that everyone has gone through it.

:yesway:Excellent, respectful reply. Somebody has a good father.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Part of the problem lies in the actions of a few negatively influence the many. In other words it's easier to punish an entire group than try to determine who the troublemakers are and sanction them accordingly. It's a common thing that happens in all aspects of life.

I went to my drs office the other day, hadn't been in six months. Once I approached the desk and signed in the lady at the desk ask how I was paying my co-pay, I told her and sat down. She asked me to come back to the window and asked for my payment immediately. I've NEVER had to pay a co-pay prior to my visit. I brought it up with the doc and told her that their new policy said to me "we don't trust you". Her response was that a few people weren't paying theirs before they left and now everybody pays in advance.

Don't argue with your seller, it's his pistol. If you can't civilly convince him of the error of his ways then move on.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Someone cite his lack of "life experiences" and "maturity" because he's only twenty ONE MORE TIME. Please!?

Are we not all here to promote the right to own and operate firearms? Some of the posts I have read in here would point toward the total opposite. Ok, guess what, we were all 20 once. I'm only 24, going on 25. The point is that the restrictions the law places on us at 18 and 21 are already bad enough. I reiterate my point that it's not like he's going to magically be more responsible in a couple months when he turns 21.

The simple fact is that the guy didn't want to sell to a 20 year old. Fine. Take that for what it is and not pile up on this guy and give him the same old lines about "maturity" and "life experience". Would you say the same things to our troops fighting daily over seas?

I'd like to see the statistics of wrongful and accidental shootings by those legally able to carry (with a license, permit, etc.) broken down by age. I'd be willing to bet you not even %25 percent of them are done by the 18-25y.o. group.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    Yes, he is. There are about a dozen different ways to have this discussion without resorting to the petulant temper tantrum he presented in the OP.

You are pretty set on making me out to seem like I'm whining, but yet the there is no tantrum in my OP. All there was a question. But why don't we all be MATURE individuals and not insult each other with name calling.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I see that OP is off-line right now. Let's surprise him by piling on as much as possible before he checks back in. Personally I don't trust anybody under 65. You're all just snot-nosed juvies.:D
    (snif!) Well then, just wait till next year, dude. I'll be back.

Yeah, some harbour the stereotype that anyone over 60 has Altzheimer's.
    Lets see now, where did I leave my car? :dunno::):

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    To the OP, not sure how anyone sees this as a 'tantrum.' The fact of the matter is that the original post is not childish; that's not how most children present an argument. It was venting, yes, not whining.
    Alot of people on here need to remember that the OP understands the seller can deal (or not deal) with whoever he pleases...but that doesn't mean he's not making a mistake. So if someone's just being 'extra careful' by not trusting a 20 year old (a completely arbitrary standard) then I guess we could understand if they didn't want to sell to a black guy? Statistically he's more likely to be a felon (an actual dealbreaker,) so we better be extra careful!:facepalm:
    Of course not. Should we have the right to sell to whoever we please? Obviously. Does that exempt this guy from being an a****** for making arbitrary rules - rules that exclude some of the very people fighting and dying for his right to own that G19? Sure don't...hence the venting.

Top Bottom