• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    It's just guys covering their butts to be [STRIKE]legal[/STRIKE] extra legal. Reminds me of stores wanting ID proof that customers are over 25 before selling them alcohol. It may offend but it's their store and they sell to whom they wish.

I recall plenty of "sting" operations with ATF busting FFLs on real minor stuff, but it does happen. Buy from whom you wish to. As you know, there are lots of great deals out there and on here on INGO. Don't give up.

BTW - How many paper routes do you have to get enough money for a Glock? :D

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    It's just guys covering their butts to be [STRIKE]legal[/STRIKE] extra legal. Reminds me of stores wanting ID proof that customers are over 25 before selling them alcohol. It may offend but it's their store and they sell to whom they wish.

I recall plenty of "sting" operations with ATF busting FFLs on real minor stuff, but it does happen. Buy from whom you wish to. As you know, there are lots of great deals out there and on here on INGO. Don't give up.

BTW - How many paper routes do you have to get enough money for a Glock? :D

Covering their butts legally? I have never been convicted of a felony and am over the age of 18 and mentally sound to own a firearm. All you need to LEGALLY buy a handgun in the state of Indiana.

And it is insulting the comment of paper routes. Some of you guys continue to prove my point of stereotyping and discriminating against young people.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Dont feel to bad about it. Im 24 and Im a motorcycle tech by trade. While I have been to school and have both Yamaha and Kawasaki factory certifications to do warranty work on new units, I also grew up restoring and building old bikes with my dad. Most people who bring thier bike to me for service dont know that and seem to think that Im just some punk kid who doesnt know anything. Imagine thier suprise when I start telling them things they never knew about thier bike that was buidlt before I was even born.

I dont let peoples preconceptions bother me. I let my actions speak for themselves and most of the time people react positively.

If you act like a punk kid (and Im not saying that you are) people will think your a punk kid no matter how old you are.

Ive been told that I act like a 40 yr old man since I was about 10. Im not sure what that says about myself or most 40 yr old men but its what Ive been told.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Covering their butts legally? I have never been convicted of a felony and am over the age of 18 and mentally sound to own a firearm. All you need to LEGALLY buy a handgun in the state of Indiana.

And it is insulting the comment of paper routes. Some of you guys continue to prove my point of stereotyping and discriminating against young people.

The paper route comment was clearly a joke

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I'm not that much older than you, (at least, I'd like to think I'm not) but the OP may have had his reasons. As some have said, you may be at the far end of the bell curve, but...

I bought my first gun when I was 18. It was a single shot 20 gauge shotgun. I felt I was responsible enough for firearms ownership, and I kept it loaded, safety on, in the back of a bedroom closet in case I needed. Except for going to the range, it never left that closet.

I also had a social life. One day, I was throwing a party and left the room for a bit. When I came back, a friend of mine had seen the shotgun and was checking it out. This friend had never seen a gun in person in his life, and muzzle swept the whole room with his finger on the trigger.

I took if from him, berated him, unloaded it and put it up. I sold it very soon afterwords, and didn't buy another firearm until years later.

I felt that I was responsible enough for gun ownership. But despite the fact no one was hurt, that night made me realize that I wasn't the only one in the equation. If I someone had been hurt or killed that night, it would have been on my head just as much as the person who had picked up the gun and put his finger on the trigger. I had left that firearm unlocked, loaded, where a drunk and irresponsible person (whom I had even invited over) could get to it. I didn't even ask him to leave at the time - how could I, this guy was my best friend!

I, myself and alone, was ready. But I was not the only one in the equation, and I wasn't mature enough to look at the whole picture.

I'm not saying this is the case with you, but you never know what might have happened to the seller in the past to make him feel the way he does. Maybe he has a good reason, at least in his own mind. We're all human, and all entitled to our eccentricities.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Short answer to your question.

Older people were once in that age bracket 18 - 21 and remember (assuming they are not too old) what they were like at that age. Chances are they would not sell a gun to anyone they felt were as irresponsible as they were at that age.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Some of you guys continue to prove my point of stereotyping and discriminating against young people.

And some of you "young people" keep whining about how you shouldn't have to EARN your respect and that things should just be given to you no matter how smart you think you are.

If you were/are a real life "Sheldon Cooper" ala The Big Bang Theory, there would be no way I'd sell you a gun....period. Just because you happen to have an education and a piece of paper saying so doesn't mean you have diddly squat of common sense.

And respect??? You think you deserve it just because......you happen to be smart?? Typical "youngster". If you are going to fit the stereotype and even expand it, then you have to expect to be discriminated against. Besides, it's not against the law to do it, so there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana

I guess you will just have to wait till you yourself have children of your own over 21 years of age.

There is nothing I can tell you that will make you change your mind. I have two boys, ages 18 & 21, they don't understand either.....

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    And some of you "young people" keep whining about how you shouldn't have to EARN your respect and that things should just be given to you no matter how smart you think you are.

If you were/are a real life "Sheldon Cooper" ala The Big Bang Theory, there would be no way I'd sell you a gun....period. Just because you happen to have an education and a piece of paper saying so doesn't mean you have diddly squat of common sense.

And respect??? You think you deserve it just because......you happen to be smart?? Typical "youngster". If you are going to fit the stereotype and even expand it, then you have to expect to be discriminated against. Besides, it's not against the law to do it, so there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

Never said that we don't have to earn respect, but that we are not given a fair chance. Education establishes credibility which was my intention.

But all you say is that us young people are irresponsible and whiners.

I would be grilled if I said all you old folk are just closed minded belittling people, but I don't stereotype and discriminate individuals because I would like to believe that we are all ADULTS and we all have a fair opportunity to prove what kind of people we are. Then we can make our judgements.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    While I do agree as the seller he makes the rules, I also agree that he is not a true supporter of the 2nd. Also, for all of you piling on about his lack of "life experiences and maturity", how will that change in the next six months or so when he can walk into any ffl he wishes and buy any handgun he wishes? :rolleyes:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I guess you will just have to wait till you yourself have children of your own over 21 years of age.

There is nothing I can tell you that will make you change your mind. I have two boys, ages 18 & 21, they don't understand either.....
    I know what you mean! I find myself telling my kids things that my dad told me, and my kids react just like I did when I was 18 and somebody tried to tell me what I should or shouldn't do. Funny thing is, now that I'm in my early late forties;), I sure as hell wish I had somebody to tell me how to handle all the problems that come up in a normal day.:):

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Which made me pose the question of age discrimination in the world.
    That is the point of this thread. Why do people feel the need to stereotype young individuals?

Also I stated my education to establish credibility don't people state their professions before talking about a certain topic hmmm?

To the second question first: not necessarily. I have an advance degree; though I could use them, there are no fancy letters after my name, and most people don't know it. Really, while it easily qualifies me for a lot of things, it doesn't matter in most circles. INGO is one of those circles. On INGO, I'm pretty much a firearms noob (nearly three years and counting! :D).

The second part of the credibility thing (respect, too) is this: it's not gained just by walking out the door of a building with a diploma in your hand. That's a good start, no doubt, but it takes more than that. There's been research that shows a person needs to put in a lot of time before they really come to master something (some say ten years of doing something every day, others say 10,000 hours). That means, you go to school, you learn something, you do something over and over and over and over and ...well, you get the idea.

Of course, all that time into doing something produces mastery, but it also produces wisdom because, if you do anything long enough, you're gonna screw up ...a lot, before you get really good at it. If you're an insightful grasshoppa, you'll find a way to learn from your mistakes. Eventually, you'll become a wise grasshoppa ...and, some time after that, you'll start to scratch the surface to becoming a master. If you become a humble master, people will seek you out to glean some of your wisdom. If you're an arrogant and conceited master, people might just mistake you for a 20 year old kid who doesn't know better.

To the second question: it's not that people feel the need to stereotype young individuals but, rather, they feel the need to stereotype (quite a lot of things, actually) in order to process a large volume of information (or, to keep from having to process large volumes of information).

None of this is a judgement of your character (so don't take it personally). Instead, (in your particular example) the seller doesn't want to invest the time, resources, or concern to investigate the sort of person you are. Frankly (and this is just a guess; I don't actually know who the seller is), he may not even care what sort of person you are. The stipulation he does have in place, however, is based on age ...and you don't qualify. Sorry for my lack of sympathy; though I do extend a small amount of empathy, 'cuz we've all been there. At that age, it's not what any of us wants (or, at times, even expects), but it happens ...and not just with firearms.

But, before you spout off about how unfair this sort of thing is, I'd challenge you to check out your own flavor of stereotypes and biases. Seriously, I'd be surprised if you don't have several. If you breath and you're human, it's likely that you have more than you think you do.

So, stay cool, learn from your experiences, make the changes you need to, and move on. :yesway:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Thank you for all the responses.

For those that are saying that I am whining or complaing because I didn't get my way. Need to read the thread a little better.
    Read it just fine. Let's check out the definition of whining, shall we?

2. To complain or protest in a childish fashion.

You think you're offering up sound, logical discourse on why people who don't know you from Adam should assume against all evidence to the contrary that you defy the stereotype and have some super-sense of responsibility and decision-making skills that would make a self-help guru jealous. What we read is that you're irritated no one is taking a complete stranger at his word, and you don't like not getting your way. What you've done is the internet equivalent of a 3y/o foot-stomping.

The sellers response simply drew up this thread. I am not complaining, and I had no interest in buying from that particular seller because of his requirements. I was simply INQUIRING why he had such requirements. Which made me pose the question of age discrimination in the world.
    That is the point of this thread. Why do people feel the need to stereotype young individuals?

Because young individuals repeatedly prove that they have not yet reached full maturity. Don't take it personally. And don't tell me you don't because if you didn't, there wouldn't be a thread about this. If you really didn't care, you'd blow it off as a potential lost sale for for the seller, shrug your shoulders at what you believe to be an inconsistency in logic, and go on about your business.

I'll wager good money that in 15 years you'll look back your time in your early 20s and realize you weren't nearly the bastion of maturity you think you are now. It's not an insult. It's just reality.

Also I stated my education to establish credibility don't people state their professions before talking about a certain topic hmmm?
    When it's relevant to the topic, I suppose. But you're trying to convince us you don't fit the stereotype of young people by providing us with a curriculum vitae. One does not support the other.

Because it's unpossible for someone to catch grief for an act even though it's perfectly legal, right?

While I do agree as the seller he makes the rules, I also agree that he is not a true supporter of the 2nd. Also, for all of you piling on about his lack of "life experiences and maturity", how will that change in the next six months or so when he can walk into any ffl he wishes and buy any handgun he wishes? :rolleyes:

Has nothing to do with the actual maturity level. Has everything to do with the risk a seller wishes to bring on himself for the sale of firearm to someone he doesn't know. Age as an indicator of proper person is a factor for this seller. For the FFL, it's simply a legal requirement to be met.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Older people were once in that age bracket 18 - 21 and remember (assuming they are not too old) what they were like at that age. Chances are they would not sell a gun to anyone they felt were as irresponsible as they were at that age.

It is also why I would not let my daughters date until they were thirty! :D

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I've seen many 30, 40, 50, and 60 year olds with the wisdom and judgment of an infant who I wouldn't turn my back on. Age is a number. If its legal to sell to an 18 year old, it's no different selling to an 18 y.o. you don't know than it is to sell to a 40 year old you don't know.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    To all the people saying this guy is whining for posting about someone voluntarily keeping a handgun from him.......

How many of you have posted whining rants about private businesses voluntarily keeping handguns from YOU while on their premises? (aka: all the "-1 for Kroger OC experience" threads)

I think they're both about as justified, and I like that people post them. But one is no holier than the other.

Top Bottom