• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

dougt06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    I oc'd around New Castle this evening... Don't think anyone really even noticed except for one guy at lee's chicken who was givin me some pretty dirty looks.... Guess he coulda just been havin a bad day

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Wednesday I OC'd at Wal-Mart, nobody batted an eye. Thursday stopped at Wal-Greens, nothin. Tonight I went to Subway (Munster) to pick up sandwiches for my g/f and I. I saw a squad car and an SUV in the parking lot so I made sure to park straight. Walk in with my wallet & piece of paper with my g/f's order in my hand and got in line. 10 seconds later 2 of the cops get up and ask me to step outside with them. Asked if I had a permit, I of course replied I have a license. He asked to see it and my ID. blah blah he knows it's legal, but you scare people. Told him that's because they aren't used to seeing it, it's understandable. He never asked me to cover, just kept trying to tell me why OC'ing is the devil. His bigger half, I'm guessing a 6'6" cop, was a nice enough guy. Asked why I carried openly. I told him I can't really conceal it (I was wearing jeans, nice shirt that fits, and my INGO Tactical hat). He said there are ways to conceal. So I replied when it's 90 outside I don't wanna wear extra clothes and I feel safer with my Sig 229 than I would with a dinky .22. 3rd cop comes out (drug enforcement). Doesn't say a word, just there for support I guess. I ask the talkative cop if he stops cars to see if they have their license, he seems baffled. Big guy says they can...right. Talkative cop goes on to say how dangerous of a person I look like OC'ing, so I reply there are lots of scary people out there. What about the goths, people with tattoos, don't they look dangerous. He's had enough and says he doesn't like my attitude and go on my way. I say ok, have a nice day, and go inside and back into line. The big guy was nice, the little guy was just on a power trip and didn't like that I didn't bend to his will. Everyone inside didn't seem to care that I walked back in still OC'ing, even when the cops had to rush out to their cars and take off with their sirens blaring.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Burger King for breakfast with the wife. Double croisanwich, or however it's spelled. Sausage AND bacon... perfection.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Wednesday I OC'd at Wal-Mart, nobody batted an eye. Thursday stopped at Wal-Greens, nothin. Tonight I went to Subway (Munster) to pick up sandwiches for my g/f and I. I saw a squad car and an SUV in the parking lot so I made sure to park straight. Walk in with my wallet & piece of paper with my g/f's order in my hand and got in line. 10 seconds later 2 of the cops get up and ask me to step outside with them. Asked if I had a permit, I of course replied I have a license. He asked to see it and my ID. blah blah he knows it's legal, but you scare people. Told him that's because they aren't used to seeing it, it's understandable. He never asked me to cover, just kept trying to tell me why OC'ing is the devil. His bigger half, I'm guessing a 6'6" cop, was a nice enough guy. Asked why I carried openly. I told him I can't really conceal it (I was wearing jeans, nice shirt that fits, and my INGO Tactical hat). He said there are ways to conceal. So I replied when it's 90 outside I don't wanna wear extra clothes and I feel safer with my Sig 229 than I would with a dinky .22. 3rd cop comes out (drug enforcement). Doesn't say a word, just there for support I guess. I ask the talkative cop if he stops cars to see if they have their license, he seems baffled. Big guy says they can...right. Talkative cop goes on to say how dangerous of a person I look like OC'ing, so I reply there are lots of scary people out there. What about the goths, people with tattoos, don't they look dangerous. He's had enough and says he doesn't like my attitude and go on my way. I say ok, have a nice day, and go inside and back into line. The big guy was nice, the little guy was just on a power trip and didn't like that I didn't bend to his will. Everyone inside didn't seem to care that I walked back in still OC'ing, even when the cops had to rush out to their cars and take off with their sirens blaring.

Did they make you show I.D. (ie. Driver's License) or just your handgun license?

Good story btw. You handled it just as I would have. They are harassing you for no reason, and any attitude that doesn't comply to their wishes they would consider a "bad attitude..."

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Did they make you show I.D. (ie. Driver's License) or just your handgun license?

Good story btw. You handled it just as I would have. They are harassing you for no reason, and any attitude that doesn't comply to their wishes they would consider a "bad attitude..."

He asked for my LTCH first, then after looking at that asked for my ID. I'm not a confrontational person, plus a pink piece of paper is easy to make, I preferred helping him relax by showing a photo ID. He was giving me crap just to give me crap. What kind of idiot bad guy would walk in OC'ing where he could clearly see there were 3 cops inside. Makes me want to make a shirt that has

LTCH Carrier (in pink letters)
    Open Carry Is Legal In Indiana
    No, You Won't Change My Mind On How To Carry

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010

I also would have handled very similar. I have been spotted open carrying by cops and they have never asked me to produce a license or said anything for that matter. I think he just got a hold of some bored cops.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You aint gonna believe this crap.

I go to Speedway to get my gas and smokes. I make the drive all the way through town to do it cause it's my favorite gas station and I know EVERYONE that works there. Been going there about 12 years now. Known the 3rd shift guy about 4 years.

I go in there to get smokes and he tells me next time I need to leave "that" in the car. I'm like WTF? Oh, THAT. Why? He tells me it's corporate policy and he can't even carry pepper spray. Well, duh, he works there. I told him I go in everyday when the Indian guy who's the manager there is there and he's never said two words about it. Ever.

:rolleyes:

He tells me it's for "safety" reasons because someone could come up behind me and snatch it. 2x :rolleyes:

I'm not gonna stop carrying in there until they refuse me service. When that happens I'll have a talk with the manager. If he agrees, I'll drive a little farther to get my gas and smokes and stuff from now on. :xmad:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

They probably thought you had scared them away and the cops were just turning on their lights so they could escape faster!

Good job handling the situation, man.

He asked for my LTCH first, then after looking at that asked for my ID. I'm not a confrontational person, plus a pink piece of paper is easy to make, I preferred helping him relax by showing a photo ID. He was giving me crap just to give me crap. What kind of idiot bad guy would walk in OC'ing where he could clearly see there were 3 cops inside. Makes me want to make a shirt that has

LTCH Carrier (in pink letters)
    Open Carry Is Legal In Indiana
    No, You Won't Change My Mind On How To Carry

That sounds like an excellent idea for the next INGO shirt!

You aint gonna believe this crap.

I go to Speedway to get my gas and smokes. I make the drive all the way through town to do it cause it's my favorite gas station and I know EVERYONE that works there. Been going there about 12 years now. Known the 3rd shift guy about 4 years.

I go in there to get smokes and he tells me next time I need to leave "that" in the car. I'm like WTF? Oh, THAT. Why? He tells me it's corporate policy and he can't even carry pepper spray. Well, duh, he works there. I told him I go in everyday when the Indian guy who's the manager there is there and he's never said two words about it. Ever.

:rolleyes:

He tells me it's for "safety" reasons because someone could come up behind me and snatch it. 2x :rolleyes:

I'm not gonna stop carrying in there until they refuse me service. When that happens I'll have a talk with the manager. If he agrees, I'll drive a little farther to get my gas and smokes and stuff from now on. :xmad:

Hey Savage... you could also... just... quit smokin! :D

But yeah, your response to the situation is what mine would be, were I in your shoes.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Forgot to mention one other thing the officer brought up. He actually mentioned about how if a bad guy came in to where I was at, I'd be the first one the bad guy would target. I asked him if he's ever personally known that to ever happen. He didn't have an answer, seemed taken aback by that, and neither of the two other officers piped in. This was near the end of the interaction.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Hey Savage... you could also... just... quit smokin! :D

But yeah, your response to the situation is what mine would be, were I in your shoes.

I'd love to quit smoking! You just have to come around here so I have someone to strangle when I get to my wits end... :D

Yea, I just pretty much :dunno:ed ole boy off. I don't mind going to another gas station if they're gonna get all uppity, but I think the manager will just laugh it off. He knows I'm a loyal customer.

Forgot to mention one other thing the officer brought up. He actually mentioned about how if a bad guy came in to where I was at, I'd be the first one the bad guy would target. I asked him if he's ever personally known that to ever happen. He didn't have an answer, seemed taken aback by that, and neither of the two other officers piped in. This was near the end of the interaction.

Man, I hate hearing about cops like that. I'd rather joke it off with them, but when they're persistent there's not much you can do except keep your cool, but show them you know your stuff. :+1: for how you handled it. I'd rep you, but Bigum broke the rep system. :D

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    OC'd to Happy Texas (aka, Texas Roadhouse) here in Terre Haute. I think a few people noticed, but nobody seemed shocked or alarmed.

Then we (my parents are in Terre Haute for the weekend) went to the cinema and bought tickets for How to Train Your Dragon. But we had an hour and a half to burn, so we went over to the mall. I was OC'ing the entire time, of course. While in a store called "The Shoe Dept", several of the employees noticed I was carrying, but it wasn't until one guy had been helping me pick out some new sandals that he finally asked, "Is that, like, an air gun? Or is that a real gun?" "No, it's a real gun." "You a cop or something?" "Nope, I'm just a prepared citizen." "Ah, okay."

Made our purchases; went to the movie (great movie, recommended); then headed to the hotel.

I was really glad I didn't have to shoot anybody today! I don't always get through en entire day without having to shoot somebody when I OC, so that was a welcome development.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    ...Then I went into Taco Bell to get some food for my wife and kids. I did get some comments here....

When I got to the counter the guy at the register yelled, "DON'T SHOOT!" and ducked behind the counter. He was totally joking, though, and he was laughing when he stood up. He asked me if I was military or police or something. I told him no, that I was just a licensed citizen.

He then told me he had been a drill sergeant in the Marines during Op. Desert Storm and that if I am ever planning on joining the military that I should just change my mind, because it totally messed with his mind.

If "Drill Sergeant" were this guy's exact words, he was feeding you a load of :bs: . The NCOs that train Marines at San Diego and Parris Island are called Drill Instructors :drill: . "Drill Sergeants" are what the Army calls them. No real former Marine DI would ever call himself a Drill "Sergeant". Furthermore, Marines that go to DI School are career oriented, so I doubt a real Marine DI would be whining about how, "it messed with his mind" to random customers at his prestigous Taco Bell job :rolleyes: ... Messing with minds is what Marine Corps Boot Camp and DI School are all about! :D :rockwoot:
    Sounds like you ran into a wannabe...

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    If "Drill Sergeant" were this guy's exact words, he was feeding you a load of :bs: . The NCOs that train Marines at San Diego and Parris Island are called (1) Drill Instructors :drill: . "Drill Sergeants" are what the Army calls them. No real former Marine DI would ever call himself a Drill "Sergeant". Furthermore, Marines that go to DI School are career oriented, so I doubt a real Marine DI would be whining about how, "it messed with his mind" to random customers at his prestigous Taco Bell job :rolleyes: ... Messing with minds is what Marine Corps Boot Camp and DI School are all about! :D :rockwoot:
    (2) Sounds like you ran into a wannabe...

(1) That was my first thought when I read that post, too.

(2) And that was the conclusion I came to as well, but left open the possiblity that the employee did actually say DI but bglaze didn't realize there was a distinction, so he wrote DS when he retold it.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    If "Drill Sergeant" were this guy's exact words, he was feeding you a load of :bs: . The NCOs that train Marines at San Diego and Parris Island are called Drill Instructors :drill: . "Drill Sergeants" are what the Army calls them. No real former Marine DI would ever call himself a Drill "Sergeant". Furthermore, Marines that go to DI School are career oriented, so I doubt a real Marine DI would be whining about how, "it messed with his mind" to random customers at his prestigous Taco Bell job :rolleyes: ... Messing with minds is what Marine Corps Boot Camp and DI School are all about! :D :rockwoot:
    Sounds like you ran into a wannabe...

Ahh, great info! And yes there's a good chance I just ran into a wannabe. However, I have no idea if he said "Drill Sergeant" or "Drill Instructor." I was just paraphrasing that post in my own words, and I am not very military savvy.

Nevertheless, he still very well could've been a wannabe. I also found it strange to here him whining about the military "messing with his mind."

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I didn't OC anywhere (gotta get a new holster for that) but I was in the Burger King on W Washington (right in front of Kroger) and there was at least 1 (might have been 2--I only saw 1) customer OCing...No one had any reaction at all. They were wearing security type uniforms though so that's probably part of it.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was at 4 places today.

1st was BK on 38th & 465 around 820am. No one said a thing.

2nd was at speedway at 56th & highschool, no one said a thing.

3rd was at the bank on 56th & Lafayette, the guy working the counter just keeps buging me to open an account, all I need is change for the till at the range.

Stops 1-3 happened while I had my range officer shirt on, so I think that had a impact on how people saw me.

In the past I have had people think I was a cop. But after explaing to them that I am just a dude who does this RO job on the weekends and having no connection with the law, It has lead to some good informative conversations.

4th was at kroger on 71st & george town. I went to the U-scan with my beer and the guy didn't even check my ID. I know the guy running the main computer for all the U-scans saw me when he walked up and grabbed the box of Ice cream that was left on the chicken warmer thing. He smiled and was nice, but did not say anything about me OC'n or how old I was to be buying the beer.

The g/f still doesn't like it when I don't have a secure holster, but the S&W 65-5 in the leather belt holster is so comfortable.

Last edited:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    The vet for my dog's check-up.

The restaurant Journey (not my favorite place, but my wife likes the sushi bar).

One of my wife's Japanese friends' apartments.

The latter one was interesting. We were there for about an hour. My wife's friend was showing off a picture album while the kids were playing and her husband was napping. Then the husband got up. We chatted a bit longer then we had to leave.

On the way out the door the husband asked me what I was carrying. The wife, however looked very startled and said that she hadn't even noticed.

I walked into her house wearing jeans and a tucked-in T-shirt, with a 1911 in a cheap "Gunmate" nylon belt holster at 3:00, sat on her couch and chatted for an hour and she never even noticed that I was openly armed.

Most people really are oblivious.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    OC'd in the hotel lobby for breakfast, then Cheeseburger in Paradise, Gander Mountain, and Steak-n-Shake. Nothing "exciting" happened; it was just another uneventful day of safe carry.

Most people really are oblivious.

The more I OC, the more I notice the same thing. Most people don't even notice there's a big bad gun right out there, right in the open!

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I OCed to Starbucks in Anderson. I got a venti quad-shot mocha, sat down and surfed the web on my laptop for about an hour. Then I went to Wal-Mart across the street to pick up some stuff. Then I went to Papa Murphy's to pick up some pizzas for dinner.

No issues at all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom