• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I really wanted to stick it to him that if I wasn't breaking the law I should be left alone. It was actually more for my g/f that I ended it as quickly as I could. I wish she was more ok with me carrying, but she's not. I knew I'd get worse from her than from the cop if I had prolonged the situation. The one time I did refuse to cover while she was with me, I had hell to listen to at home. I've tried explaining to her, but she's of the mind that it upsets everyone else to see a law-abiding citizen openly carrying. I don't give a rat's pitootey about what other people think, but when I have to listen to her rant I'd rather just CC when we go someplace together. She's ok with me carrying, since her father always carried (CC). I OC for comfort because of my body size & fashion. If she even says a word about me buying a Sig P238 soon, we might just have a problem.

Ahh! I understand.

Yeah, something you need to work on (though it may take time) is getting her to be on your side with the politics of Open Carry.

My wife is well prepped with how I intend to respond whenever I am confronted by either cops or citizens while OCing.

I will always treat whoever confronts me with respect, however I will respectfully decline to cover up and also ask that the cop go back to the complainer and inform them that what I am doing is well within my rights.

Nevertheless, I understand where you are with your gf, and getting her on your side will be a huge step forward.

My guess is that she will come around.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As always, I OC everywhere. After many months of no issues, I was finally approached last night at the Greenwood Barnes and Noble. The manager came to me and asked if I was an officer or something... She seemed a bit flustered in how she was asking me. Apparently I was scaring one of the other customers as I was looking at the magazines (yes, me, the guy in dress pants and a nice dress shirt and shoes, reading video game magazines and toying with my phone). Anyway, she was very nice, I showed her my license, se thanked me and went on her way.

Other than that, still quiet and without incident here. It's just so normal now, I don't even think about it.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    As always, I OC everywhere. After many months of no issues, I was finally approached last night at the Greenwood Barnes and Noble. The manager came to me and asked if I was an officer or something... She seemed a bit flustered in how she was asking me. Apparently I was scaring one of the other customers as I was looking at the magazines (yes, me, the guy in dress pants and a nice dress shirt and shoes, reading video game magazines and toying with my phone). Anyway, she was very nice, I showed her my license, se thanked me and went on her way.

Other than that, still quiet and without incident here. It's just so normal now, I don't even think about it.

:+1: for the manager not asking you to cover-up/disarm or leave.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Taco Bell in Valparaiso. Not a word from the employees. As I was walking to my table a man in his early-30's piped up and said in an irritated voice "Why don't you take your gun off please?!?!?" I just ignored him and proceeded to terrorize two crunchwrap supremes. Think outside the bun :D

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Taco Bell in Valparaiso. Not a word from the employees. As I was walking to my table a man in his early-30's piped up and said in an irritated voice "Why don't you take your gun off please?!?!?" I just ignored him and proceeded to terrorize two crunchwrap supremes. Think outside the bun :D
    I didn't carry anywhere at all today since I only went to work...but I really, really want some Taco Bell right now...too bad the nearest one is 45 minutes away. :xmad:

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I Open Carried to Denny's in Daleville--sat down and had dinner. I then went to Walmart in Anderson to pick up some stuff for my wife. I walked all around the store with no issues and no negative looks that I noticed.

I then went to the Ricker's on Scatterfield to get gas (went inside to pre-pay).

Then I went into Taco Bell to get some food for my wife and kids. I did get some comments here.

As I was standing in line I heard, "Sir!"

I turned around to see a female employee sitting at a table on her lunch break or something. She smiled and said, "Is that a real gun?"

I smiled back, chuckled, and said, "Yes it is definitely real."

She said, "Cool! I didn't know you could carry it out in the open like that. I thought it had to be concealed. I have never seen anyone carrying a gun out in the open like that."

I said, "Oh yes, in Indiana licensed owners can carry open or concealed. There is restriction on how you carry as long as you are licensed."

There was a girl sitting at the same table as the employee I was talking to who was not in a Taco Bell uniform. This girl jumped in and said, "Oh yes you do have to have it concealed! My boyfriend told me that he has to cover his up whenever he goes into public. He also told me that he had to sign something when he applied for his permit that said he promises only to carry concealed and not in the open."

I politely replied, "No, I assure you in Indiana there is no law stating you have to carry concealed."

I encouraged her to look it up for herself, but I honestly wasn't interested in talking to them any more. They were really nice, and thought it was cool I was carrying open, but there was really no more that I could say. =)

When I got to the counter the guy at the register yelled, "DON'T SHOOT!" and ducked behind the counter. He was totally joking, though, and he was laughing when he stood up. He asked me if I was military or police or something. I told him no, that I was just a licensed citizen.

He then told me he had been a drill sergeant in the Marines during Op. Desert Storm and that if I am ever planning on joining the military that I should just change my mind, because it totally messed with his mind.

I just smiled and nodded and said that I really regretted never joining the service, but at this point in my life it's not in my plans.

Nevertheless, no negative interactions, and some interesting positive interactions. =P

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    County Market for grocery shopping.

I was targetted for 16 robberies, and shot twice.

Somebody really needs to reign that ATM dude in!!

glockman23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indy
    I Open Carried to Denny's in Daleville--sat down and had dinner. I then went to Walmart in Anderson to pick up some stuff for my wife. I walked all around the store with no issues and no negative looks that I noticed.

I then went to the Ricker's on Scatterfield to get gas (went inside to pre-pay).

Then I went into Taco Bell to get some food for my wife and kids. I did get some comments here.

As I was standing in line I heard, "Sir!"

I turned around to see a female employee sitting at a table on her lunch break or something. She smiled and said, "Is that a real gun?"

I smiled back, chuckled, and said, "Yes it is definitely real."

She said, "Cool! I didn't know you could carry it out in the open like that. I thought it had to be concealed. I have never seen anyone carrying a gun out in the open like that."

I said, "Oh yes, in Indiana licensed owners can carry open or concealed. There is restriction on how you carry as long as you are licensed."

There was a girl sitting at the same table as the employee I was talking to who was not in a Taco Bell uniform. This girl jumped in and said, "Oh yes you do have to have it concealed! My boyfriend told me that he has to cover his up whenever he goes into public. He also told me that he had to sign something when he applied for his permit that said he promises only to carry concealed and not in the open."

I politely replied, "No, I assure you in Indiana there is no law stating you have to carry concealed."

I encouraged her to look it up for herself, but I honestly wasn't interested in talking to them any more. They were really nice, and thought it was cool I was carrying open, but there was really no more that I could say. =)

When I got to the counter the guy at the register yelled, "DON'T SHOOT!" and ducked behind the counter. He was totally joking, though, and he was laughing when he stood up. He asked me if I was military or police or something. I told him no, that I was just a licensed citizen.

He then told me he had been a drill sergeant in the Marines during Op. Desert Storm and that if I am ever planning on joining the military that I should just change my mind, because it totally messed with his mind.

I just smiled and nodded and said that I really regretted never joining the service, but at this point in my life it's not in my plans.

Nevertheless, no negative interactions, and some interesting positive interactions. =P

So you ate dennys and made your wife eat taco hell:dunno:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

In hindsight, we get to act all big and tough...

You should've said, "Why? You plannin' on robbin' the place, but don't want to chance it with this gun here?!"

I probably would've just ignored him, too. I dunno. Haven't stood in those shoes, yet.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    County Market for grocery shopping.

I was targetted for 16 robberies, and shot twice.

Somebody really needs to reign that ATM dude in!!

Sorry about the double tap there buddy. My bad. :cool:

Also for the record: I was not one of the 16 robbers. I took nothing from Joe after I shot him twice. :):

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Sorry about the double tap there buddy. My bad. :cool:

Also for the record: I was not one of the 16 robbers. I took nothing from Joe after I shot him twice. :):

No biggy. I'm used to it by now. It's the life of the OC'er, ya know!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    In about a year, I've still never seen another non-authority OC'ing. You people need to OC more. :)

Dude, me neither. And in about the same time frame. I keep my eyes open and try to be aware of what's going on around me, but I just never see anybody else OC'ing. I do kinda try to look for CC'ers, too, but _obviously_ those are harder to detect.

mutters under breath: crazy CC'ers, just waiting for somebody to jump them so they can draw their secret weapons and surprise him before they mozambique the BGs :moon: off.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    In hindsight, we get to act all big and tough...

You should've said, "Why? You plannin' on robbin' the place, but don't want to chance it with this gun here?!"

I probably would've just ignored him, too. I dunno. Haven't stood in those shoes, yet.

I have no problem discussing the legality of OC. However, it was his confrontational tone that prompted me to ignore him. I saw no reason to engage. :ar15:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Let's see... This week so far:
    - Krogers in Danville
    - Several different gas stations and convenience stores
    - Glendale Macy's
    - the local tailor to get my new suit pants hemmed and fitted (OK, so I was really CC, but while getting fitted in my CC holster, it isn't really CC any more)
    - The Driveline shop to get my Jeep's driveshaft re-tubed

If I can get the Indy trading Post to call me back about a holster I'm wanting to order (nice black leather OWB with a retention strap), I'll be OC'ing in style!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom