• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Would it have been wrong to practice some of my retention techniques at that point? Would it?
    Depends on how strong the desire for the unwelcom...er unexpected guests to come back is. I think a spinning back hand with the weak hand accompanied by a simultaneous draw should have been in order. Followed by one of these, :nono:. I think she would have got the message.

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    We had some unwelcom...er... unexpected visitors at our home today. While my parents were suffer...er... entertaining, one of them came up to me (I was working at my computer) and asked, "Whatcha packin'?"

I said, "Uh, just my insurance."

So then she tapped my holster with the back of her hand and said, "But what is it?"

Would it have been wrong to practice some of my retention techniques at that point? Would it?

Was she hot? If so, perhaps you could have asked if she wanted to hold your gun.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Double-take

As the weather has gotten warmer, I have OC'ed a bit more obviously. We have also been taking my baby girl out and about a lot (walks at the park, dinner out, shopping, etc...). I find it humorous how facial expressions change when folks see me carrying my girl:

First - "Awwww, she is so cute!"
    Second - "Errr....." (they notice my XDSC on my hip)
    Third - "Uhhhh..." (Now they are confused. Do I make goo-goo eyes at the baby, or run away in terror? )

Now, the vast majority of folks go about their lives like normal, but a select few are noticeably confused as to why an armed man would be carrying a little girl wrapped in a pink blanket. Its like their whole moral code was just challenged. Many look at my wife, almost seeking confirmation that all is well. She just smiles (little do they know, she may be armed as well). A normal, well-adjusted family that is able and willing to defend itself? Un-possible!

I just wiggle my daughter's little arms, and "Say 'Hi' to the nice lady, little Madelyn!", and keep walking.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yesterday, Valpo Tea Party.

I wasn't alone aside from openly carried handguns, there were two openly carried AR-15's as well.
    :rockwoot:

On the flip side I can no longer say I've never had a LEO ask me for my LTCH. Entire encounter with VPD lasted maybe 30 seconds, tops, and they were very polite. Aside from the fact they had no reason to believe I was illegally carrying anyway, but considering they were very respectful and polite and didn't press for any other ID or try and lecture me... I didn't want to give them grief about profiling.

Anyway, kudos to VPD for handling things in a virtual 180 from the debacle at last years tea party :yesway:

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    I typically cc, however, I have opened carried in Walmart in Greenfield several times. The only thing I notice is a few people giving me a slightly longer look than normal. I also open carry during hunting season all over Pike county, nobody down there cares in the least bit.

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    I OC`d for the first time ever yesterday at Thunder Over Louisville. I normally CC but it got too warm for my sweatshirt so I had to shed some clothes.
    Got a few looks and saw one lady obviously shocked. Good time!

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    JJ's pizza shack...acually had lady ask me if my springfield 45 xd was real....said yup...after few minutes of explaining thats its all legal and safe...she seemed more at ease...plus ya can't beat jj's pizza...good day!!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Yesterday I OC'd at Walmart to pick up a birthday card and present for my 1-year-old niece. I think I saw the lady beside me in the cards aisle notice it and be a bit taken aback, but she must've been so confused that I was looking for a card for a little girl!

Then I OC'd at the party for said niece. Her big sister has *her* birthday party today, and I plan to OC at this one, as well.

One thing I noticed yesterday was how FEW people actually notice a person walking around with a gun. Now, I reckon it's possible these people are noticing and just not giving a darn... but it could also be that these people are so completely unaware of what is happening around them or who is near them. I think it could reasonably be either one.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I OC'ed in Fry's today for the third time. This time I got a few stares and one quiet "OMG". Then at the counter I had bought my wife a little pepperspray thing until she gets her LTCH and the lady said she'd rather have the PS than a pistol. :dunno:

At Menards I made a hispanic couple do a complete 180 and walk quickly away, but that was about it.

Pretty good day actually.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Another crime prevented by an OC'ing citizen!

Not hardly. :): Not unless they were robbing Menards of a bunch PCV and plywood with their kids! :laugh: Nah, but the looks on their faces was priceless. You'd thought I was the criminal! :rolleyes:

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Today had breakfast at Sophia's Pancake House, no problem. Then g/f and I went to Meijer in Highland. Walked all the way around the store once, and made it to the outdoor part. Problem. Highland officer comes up behind me to discuss me open carrying. He informed me he knows it's legal for me to carry openly, but he was informed it was upsetting someone who saw me. So he asked if I could conceal it somehow, which I tried just to be nice, but I wasn't wearing something that does a very good job. I had half a black holster sticking out from under a large gun print, I was wearing a Sig 229 in a Blackhawk Serpa. I'm also 5'10" 150 lbs, so concealing only happens with much smaller firearms or lots more clothes. He asked if I had a permit, I reply, "No, but I have a license." Deadpan look reply, and then he asks to see it. He then asks to see my ID (gave my driver's license), which lead him to say I need to have my addresses match up. I tried to explain that all I legally have to do is inform ISP of the change, I don't have to get the license itself updated. He wasn't convinced, so I told him to ask his fellow Highland officer, Officer Potesta, since he's done research on Indiana carry laws. He admitted not knowing what Meijer's policy was, I told him I never had a problem before, didn't feel like telling him it didn't matter what their policy is, they'd have to ask me to leave regardless of any signage. He also asked how many times I've been bothered while OC'ing, I replied maybe once or twice a year, it's not a big deal. Not a bad experience, he was just checking up on someone's concern. In hindsight I should've asked if he informed the concerned citizen that the way I was carrying is completely legal in Indiana.

No offense man, but I wouldn't have even attempted to conceal it just because he asked you to (because someone was offended).

You should ask him next time, "Officer, if I see a gay couple walking and holding hands and that offends me, can I come to you and complain and have you ask them to stop holding hands? Or what about if I see someone with tons of facial piercings and devil tattoos. Can I have you go up to them and ask them to cover them up, because I am offended?"

I would have (politely) told him where he could stick it.

And if he would have asked me for I.D., he better have had a reasonable suspicion that I was committing a crime, or else I would have to refuse and then file a formal complaint.

Part of the reason I O.C. is for the education of cops like this.

I would never abandon my rights "just to be nice"...

(FYI: I am not actually offended at the sight of gays holding hands or people with piercings or tattoos, this was just an example of another ridiculous request. We need to start standing up for our rights just like that gay couple would if they were asked to stop holding hands in public)

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I really wanted to stick it to him that if I wasn't breaking the law I should be left alone. It was actually more for my g/f that I ended it as quickly as I could. I wish she was more ok with me carrying, but she's not. I knew I'd get worse from her than from the cop if I had prolonged the situation. The one time I did refuse to cover while she was with me, I had hell to listen to at home. I've tried explaining to her, but she's of the mind that it upsets everyone else to see a law-abiding citizen openly carrying. I don't give a rat's pitootey about what other people think, but when I have to listen to her rant I'd rather just CC when we go someplace together. She's ok with me carrying, since her father always carried (CC). I OC for comfort because of my body size & fashion. If she even says a word about me buying a Sig P238 soon, we might just have a problem.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I really wanted to stick it to him that if I wasn't breaking the law I should be left alone. It was actually more for my g/f that I ended it as quickly as I could. I wish she was more ok with me carrying, but she's not. I knew I'd get worse from her than from the cop if I had prolonged the situation. The one time I did refuse to cover while she was with me, I had hell to listen to at home. I've tried explaining to her, but she's of the mind that it upsets everyone else to see a law-abiding citizen openly carrying. I don't give a rat's pitootey about what other people think, but when I have to listen to her rant I'd rather just CC when we go someplace together. She's ok with me carrying, since her father always carried (CC). I OC for comfort because of my body size & fashion. If she even says a word about me buying a Sig P238 soon, we might just have a problem.

time for a new GF??? id deffinately straighten out the understanding on the gun issue before you ever think about mariage to her. good luck buddy

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom