• Status
    Not open for further replies.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Walmart's stated policy is that they will follow state law regarding the carrying of firearms, so you don't have to worry about them.

Do you have a reference for that. I've never had any problems in any Wal-Mart, but that reference might be handy if I ever do. I couldn't find anything on their corporate sight. Thanks in advance.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Do you have a reference for that. I've never had any problems in any Wal-Mart, but that reference might be handy if I ever do. I couldn't find anything on their corporate sight. Thanks in advance.

Well played kingnereli,

I must, in embarrassment, admit that I've never seen the source. I've seen this statement repeated many times, here and other forums, so I took it as fact. It is of course entirely possible that this isn't true, so I guess now the hunt begins. :D

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I'm glad it your encounter was not very stressful. This LE comment is my biggest gripe with anti OCers. How is a person conducting their daily lives, while visibly armed, defeating the purpose? People who have no interaction with firearms. Who have no other input than what the media tells them. Have no other choice than to believe that firearms are bad, only criminals use them and only the police should have them. It is my opinion. And it is just that, an opinion. Is that keeping our firearms hidden is what the defeats the purpose. This ensures that those whom are against firearms, or have no opinion, never witness a responsible citizen conducting their daily life while armed.

As much as I have heard this argument I have to say that you create a very valid and strong argument. Rep'd. Not to spark that debate again but I disagree with OC for the most part in my daily situation but this is by far the best worded case for OC I've read, and if anything were to change my mind it would be this :):

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I'm glad it your encounter was not very stressful. This LE comment is my biggest gripe with anti OCers. How is a person conducting their daily lives, while visibly armed, defeating the purpose? People who have no interaction with firearms. Who have no other input than what the media tells them. Have no other choice than to believe that firearms are bad, only criminals use them and only the police should have them. It is my opinion. And it is just that, an opinion. Is that keeping our firearms hidden is what the defeats the purpose. This ensures that those whom are against firearms, or have no opinion, never witness a responsible citizen conducting their daily life while armed.

That is an awesome point. I never thought of it that way. I like CC, but have been more conciously trying to OC, in order to raise awareness.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    yesterdays news

I feel a little bad. Yesterday at the gas station on Southeastern and Franklin. I think I made the cashier a little nervous. Glad the place was busy.

Went for a walk around my mother in laws neighborhood with the kids. Bunch of people out talked to quite a few of them. One guy accused me of being a police officer. After informing him otherwise I stood in his driveway talking to him while he worked on his lawn mower and our kids played together in the front yard.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    He said "Carrying like that defeats the purpose.":nuts:
    snip

Kind of depends on what the purpose is doesn't it?

If one wants to try to "normalize" gun carrying to the general public, CC kind of defeats the purpose.

If one wishes to OC as a statement of Constitutional rights and "citizen vs subject," CC is counter-productive.

If one is striving for maximum comfort, CC is rarely the best path to follow.

For some people, concealing a full sized fighting handgun is difficult at best, perhaps impossible. If one wishes to carry a full sized fighting handgun and avoid the compromises that come with subcompacts or reduced calibers, OC may be the only way, and CC would be useless.

I usually CC, but NOT because OC defeats any purpose listed above. I just think it's more tactically sound most often. Now, if one wishes to perhaps surprise a bad guy, OC would defeat that purpose... but that is only one purpose.

I think the officer is suffering from a lack of vision.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    OC'd last night to the drive-in theater in Monticello and to the Walmart afterward. I was carrying my G23 in a Don Hume 715 IWB. I don't like the lack of active retention with that holster for OC, but I didn't plan on spending time in crowds and it was just too hot for an overshirt.

I was a bit nervous at the concession stand when a guy right behind me gave me a lot of his attention while I was turned away buttering my popcorn (the tinted windows in the concession stand make great mirrors.) Other than that, I had a nice conversation with another customer at the Walmart who told me he had been asked to leave for carrying in the store before, but no one gave me any grief last night.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009

Some of us carry our weapons for the ACTUAL purpose for which they were designed, which is to defend one's self and loved ones against armed attack. I'm sure the officer was referencing this purpose in a tactical sense, and he is correct. The elements of surprise and stealth are well known tactical advantages. Of course, one would have a hard time understanding this if their main purpose was to make a political statement, "educate the sheeple," or to carry their weapon exposed as some sort of magic talisman to ward off evil.

To each his own.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Some of us carry our weapons for the ACTUAL purpose for which they were designed, which is to defend one's self and loved ones against armed attack.

To each his own.

To each his own is correct, but look at some of the threads here, people are only OCing for the "all eyes on me" aspect. There was one post where a person OCed, and in an effort to get a reaction, made a claimed that they actually went inside a store they normally don't go into (I believe it was a gas station). I am not saying that all OC people have an 'all eyes on me' complex, but reading this forum, plenty do. Why do we need post after post about OCing? Should I start thread after thread about CCing? Like: "Where did you CC today?", "How many sidearms should I CC?", "Our experience CCing today.", "Call ahead about CC policy?"

I don't see all these CCing threads, so why do I see them when OCing? I could see a post if a store or something banned people doing this, but I read plenty of messages where _nothing_ happened. If that is the case, why even make a posts? Should I start posting daily messages about me CCing and nothing happening?

Given the wierdness of some of these threads/messages, I still wouldn't be surprised to see a push to make the law CC only. Seriously, some of these messages I read and it feels like the poster is trying to get something to happen, to get a reaction. If a person usually uses a CC at a gas pump, but the OC and decide to go inside just to get a reaction, I just want to understand "Why?"

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I OC'd at the gas station.

I wouldn't normally feel the need to justify my decision to OC when I CC more often, but apparently some theoritically pro-gun folks feel we should provide justification when we depart from the norm, else we are clearly just seeking attention.

I chose to OC while I was out and about today because it was 90 frigging degrees out, and I didn't want to wear a cover shirt. Is that OK with anyone? Who am I supposed to ask permission on the proper way to carry my gun?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I just want to understand "Why?"

Because concealed somehow became the "norm" and many, even here, still believed it was illegal and/or completely unacceptable to not have it hidden. This and similar threads are attempting to spread the word that it's OK. It also counters the constant claims of the anti-OC'ers (not to be confused with most CC'ers) that you will be constantly harassed or worse if you try it. We do have a choice.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Carried this morning on my way to and from the IDPA match at NPCC. Stopped to get gas on the way there with no problem. Stopped on the way back to work on the alternator at my G/f's mom's and no problem then either. Gonna do this more often as summer gets into full swing.

Greg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Carried this morning on my way to and from the IDPA match at NPCC. Stopped to get gas on the way there with no problem. Stopped on the way back to work on the alternator at my G/f's mom's and no problem then either. Gonna do this more often as summer gets into full swing.

You just want people to look at you!! :D

I think I must be guilty of it too. Clearly no one would ever look at me otherwise, so I must act in some bizarre, anti-social manner in order to attract their attention to me.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    You just want people to look at you!! :D

I think I must be guilty of it too. Clearly no one would ever look at me otherwise, so I must act in some bizarre, anti-social manner in order to attract their attention to me.

It seems pretty obvious to me, otherwise why all these reports of people doing nothing. Why the need to watch and see what happens, then report back that nothing has happened? Why do I constantly see these "no problems" reports? Are folks wanting problems? Are they hoping for problems? When there seems to be "problems," we all hear/read about it on a thread. When there are no "problems," again, we all hear/read about it on a thread. Odd behavior for sure, no matter what happens, a few feel the need to document and let the world know about it.

Considering how much a few folks who are OCing are trying their best to document cases of how others react to them while OCing, I have found the NSFW theme song for those OCing types:

Remember, song is NSFW!

"http://www.youtube.com/v/W6S7dAsIzIU&hl=en&fs=1&

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Awww Rhino, I didnt realize that was a 1911 in a IWB holster in the 4o'clock postion, I just thought you were happy to see me the other night. Cheers buddy:cheers: See you and the rest of the ingo crew saturday

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Why the need to watch and see what happens, then report back that nothing has happened? ...

This thread has been viewed nearly 6,000 times. Seems that many people are interested to find out that generally, nothing happens. If it doesn't interest you, you can thank redneckmedic for at least drawing most of these non-events into one thread which is easy for you to ignore. It seems to be of value to those with doubts.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Red Lobster,Circle K ,Big Lots, Office Max , and my father's house. A good way to celebrate Father's day-OC while celebrating-no problems here in Columbus :draw:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    This thread has been viewed nearly 6,000 times. Seems that many people are interested to find out that generally, nothing happens. If it doesn't interest you, you can thank redneckmedic for at least drawing most of these non-events into one thread which is easy for you to ignore. It seems to be of value to those with doubts.

Please continue, ALL!!!!!
    I really like reading about it and I think it prepares me on how to handle it when I start OCing.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Today at Ihop, Petsmart and Petco. NO PROBLEMS TO REPORT...LOL.

Anyway, for those of you against OC allow me to explain myself in pleasant conversation. Namely Indy317 and Agent007. Most of these things have been said before, but I don't mind repeating them.

First off. When I first discovered OC was legal in IN my first thought was "well that's going to make things easier." I like to wear my shirts tucked in. My carry weapon for the past, oh, 7 years has been a Glock 21 full size .45. Even wearing my shirt untucked for CC does not always do the job.

My second thought was "that's gonna cause problems." Why, well like I said in a previous post. Most of America has ill conceived notions about firearms. Mostly due to infringement on our rights and media bias. Most people do not connect being an American with responsible gun ownership.

Now let me address attention seeking. I can agree with this. I absolutely love it when someone asks me about my firearm. I love it when they tell me they had no idea it was even legal to carry a firearm, let alone openly carry one. The positive outcomes of someone learning their rights is always good. And usually when you seek to learn about one you end up learning about others. Weather you intended to or not.

I am not seeking attention of the negative sort. I have yet to have a negative encounter and hope I never do. There are people who have had terrible experiences while carrying. Weather it be CC or OC. I do not want people to run in fear, call the police and such. I want them to see a regular person conducting their daily life while armed.

So when I say "no problems" or "nothing to report" it was a good day for OC. When I say that I got into a conversation with a WalMart employee who had no idea carry was legal and asked what they had to do to be able to carry and what type of instruction can they get. It was a great day for OC.

No when it comes to "element of surprise" or "tactical advantage" I don't think either side can factually prove their argument. It's mostly based on personal opinion. A couple of my opinions are this.

1) While OC my draw/aim/fire is much faster than CC. Even just having my t-shirt covering my weapon can slow me down by a second or more. Yes I practice both.

2) I don't feel that CC gives me that element of surprise people talk about. Say your in a gas station, bank etc.. Bad guy comes barging in. Unless your standing weapon side, arm out of the way toward BG when they enter, do you really think they will zero in on you carrying? Most people don't notice details when in a stressful situation. I would imagine being a BG committing a crime is a stressful situation.

Now say you as an individual are targeted. If BG sees that you are carrying my bet that is they would move on. What if they decide they are still going to attack you? How fast can you get to your weapon while CC and under attack? How about when your OC?

3) If OC is such a bad idea then why does law enforcement open carry? You can argue that part of their job brings them in contact with dangerous people. Well these are the same dangerous people I can run into walking to my car, standing in line, sitting in a park etc..

If they OC because they need to be able to have immediate, unhindered access to their weapon in a dangerous situation why shouldn't I be able to have the same?

Maybe they OC because an armed presence is a deterrent to crime and violent behavior. Would this not work equally well for another civilian who does not happen to have a badge?

I could keep going but the kids are bugging me for a snack and my son needs a butt change. I will say that no matter how you choose to carry at least you carry. There are times where CC is the more prudent choice........

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom