• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    i dont understand those that have never left the state of indiana, or probably the county they were born in in indiana flying them. at that point, its not your heritage. youre either supporting the flags current racist connotations, or rebellion, or both. it cheapens it to me to see so many of them up here.

I'd say closer to 90%, myself.

Or more.

:xmad:

Exactly why I see it as being trashy...It really is a shame though, considering there are lots of people that display it for all of the right reasons.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I don't really have a dog in this fight. Family emigrated here from the Balkans (got my own 'old country' rebel flag) Born and raised in the midwest a little north of here. Spent some time out east as well. Indiana is not the south (really it's not!).
    I also lived a while in Florida where some locals explained the rebel flag concept to me. Most were not racist or crazies but proud southeners. But then again Florida's not the south (shhh don't say that to them it'll **** 'em off).

Anyway what I'm saying is I understand it if you're doing it as a heritage thing if you or your people are from there. Also look at Ole Miss and the Runnin' Rebels I'm sure the campus and athlethes are not looking at that in a racist way either. You see players with stars and bars do rags all the time on their teams.
    If it's a racial well, you got issues and likely a hard road in front of you.

Amazingly civil for this topic so far. Much better that other ocassions.

I'll sit back and watch now.:popcorn:

Last edited:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Me too!

coulter_flagbikini.jpg

That's a REP,

Oh and just so you know, in Southern Indiana, the Spencer County High School Mascot name is the Rebels. The Stars and Bars hang in the gym. At least it did 2 years ago. Some from that area actually fought on the side of the Confederacy. It was an agricultural area and the Federal taxes etc was something they wanted no part of. They still grow tobacco there....

Did ya know that?

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Nope, that is a modern politically correct assumption.

It stands for 'States Rights', and in reality that is what the war was fought over.....

Slavery was a minor part of it, it was just what the press (even then) stuck to and it sticks to this day, no matter the proof otherwise.

:patriot::40oz:

Okay...I agree, it was about states rights. But this was stemmed directly from slavery. The root of the problem for the south was slavery. To say that "slavery was a minor part of it" is absurd. Please enlighten me with the so called "proof" you have that shows otherwise. The "states rights" were specifically referring to slavery at the time. The south was ticked because they needed slaves to make their cotton fields more profitable. The north didn't give a crap because they were building factories and railroads. Republican Abe Lincoln wanted to abolish slavery by federal law (under extreme pressure by the social intellectuals of the north who had lots of money) This would ruin the souths current economic vitality as the demand for new slaves was ever increasing. This is why the south rebelled. If the north went ahead and allowed the south to continue to create slave states (like newly formed Missouri), they would have never attacked Yankee forts. :twocents:

Last edited:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    the flag is a symbol of the south diffidence to the north. it has nothing to do with slavery. actually the civil war (where it was born and used) had very little to do with slavery, it was about the states right to not follow the feds.

Once again, please show me the facts. I really want to know where you are getting this information from. I personally don't have a problem with the rebel flag....I'm sort of indifferent. But this attitude that the Civil War had "little to do with slavery" is completely unfounded. You guys simply must start backing up your statements....sources please.:popcorn:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well I calmly disagree, it was economic warfare on the South in general, if it was so much about slavery, how come the northern states did not get rid of theirs as someone already posted.

The war was about power, the north had it with its industry and the south did not with its agricultural based economy........Read about the taxes imposed on the south long before the shot at Ft Sumter.

firing-on-star-of-west.jpg

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Well I calmly disagree, it was economic warfare on the South in general, if it was so much about slavery, how come the northern states did not get rid of theirs as someone already posted.

The war was about power, the north had it with its industry and the south did not with its agricultural based economy........Read about the taxes imposed on the south long before the shot at Ft Sumter.

firing-on-star-of-west.jpg

I believe I posted that same thing. I'm just saying that you cannot deny the importance of the slavery issue in this war. If it didn't exist, the black folk wouldn't have done everything possible to hitch a ride to the Union.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I look at it like this .....If someone wants to display the REBEL flag it is that persons choice ....Its called " THE BILL OF RIGHTS" it has Alot more than just The 2nd Ammendment .....

and as an american If you don't like what you see turn your head change the channel voice your opinion to someone you think gives a flyin F@@K .....

If you think a rebel flag means someone is a racist you need to hang with nanci and the liberal crew who think everyone who owns a gun is a murderer .....:twocents:

Just my opinion .. I could be right :patriot:

Here is my flag :ingo:

Top Bottom